R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-04-2012, 05:55 AM   #17776
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Do us a favour and keep your over-voltage LiPo paranoia out of this thread. It just doesn't happen, and I wouldn't want new racers to get the idea that it does.
I read half way through the lipo comment before realizing who wrote it. I live and learn.

Back on topic. I've only had problems if I've managed to run the motor too hot and not cooled it down quick enough on the bench. The heat though the pinion seems to damage the plastic gear. It's only a problem in the middle of summer and if we run a particularly challenging layout on the track.

I'm aware of it now and tend to hit the motor with a big cooling fan straight after running.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #17777
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Bert, believe me, I know. Most of our local racers have switched back to 03's and (in some sad cases) 05's. I run nothing but 03's.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #17778
Tech Elite

Going thru gear sets is a weird situation. I went thru a streak where gear set changes were a frequent occurrence. Never was able to pin point the reason and presently am having no problems at all.

The main causes seem to be hitting stuff and extremely tight diffs. There are other causes, but those two seem to be the main culprits. Worn motor pinions is another frequent cause, but that is mainly a "newbie" mistake. Another one was a car where the gear shaft holes in the chassis had become loose.

The obsession with running a "tight" diff is unwarranted in most cases. The diff only needs to be tight enough to stop the "diffing out'' action under acceleration. When you consider how much torque a Silvercan has, the diff does not need to be nearly as tight as many suppose. Diffs that are too tight have many undesired characteristics that should preclude their use.

Super tight diffs were much in vogue when Minis were all the SWB version. The inherent push, there's that word again, of a tight diff was thought to be helpful. Like all things, time marches on and tight diffs no longer are what seems to be favored by the quicker Mini racers.

Again, the above is only offered for your consideration and comment and is in no way intended to demean or insult anyone.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #17779
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
Bert, believe me, I know. Most of our local racers have switched back to 03's and (in some sad cases) 05's. I run nothing but 03's.
Hah, I tried to tell ya'll that shortly after the M05 was introduced. Took a lot of heat for it, not only locally but on this thread. In fact Jim, you were among those who were pretty dismissive. But that's okay, cause there were a couple of TCS National champs who gave me a hard time for awhile.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #17780
Tech Champion

I've developed a curious case of amnesia regarding that, Bob. Never happened!

The thing that drew me back to the 03 is simplicity. There's just so much less to go wrong, tune, tweak, or adjust. It's a tank. Running short, indoor tracks, it's perfection. Also, we're running large bricks behind our boards now. I crashed hard enough, head on, recently that my front bumper was torn completely off but the car kept going.

Looks like we're set apart on diffs, though. Tight diffs and oil filled (500000wt)units are ruling up here right now. Our brushless systems overpower normal diff traction easily. It's creating a bit of a hubbub, because its knocked the RWD cars out of contention. There's always going to be someone unhappy, though. Last year it was all M06, all the time, and FWD guys were the "victims".

Last edited by monkeyracing; 11-04-2012 at 12:55 PM.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #17781
Tech Elite

Quote:
You definitely have a case of amnesia. Responding to someone who talked sh*t about your forum name and old avatar pic.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #17782
Tech Initiate

Hey quick question. Are there any tools or techniques that I ought to know about when taking apart the ball joints on my M-05?

I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it.
Vincent Van Gogh
tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #17783
Tech Champion

Something like thishttp://www.hobbyking.com/mobile/view...h&idparentcat=?
Old 11-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #17784
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Or better yet, get some hex head ball studs so you don't have to pop them off, just unscrew them.
I believe the thread hole in the shock tower is 3mm, just measure the ball size and hit the touring car section at the LHS and match up.

That how 3Racing makes there shock fasteners.

www.rcgears.net, www.carcar.ca
Thanks to my Sponsor: Shred-A-Can Metal Recyclers LTD
www.shredacan.com

Last edited by chongo; 11-04-2012 at 06:54 PM.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #17785
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Angry

In my club, it is legal to run at 8.5volts ! I only pointed out that I ran my M03 at 8.4volts because my charger can't go beyond that. When I get my new charger(capable to charge up to 8.48volts), I am sure I will be able to match and surpass my buddy's 14.5sec fastlap M05..... Nowhere did I make any statements about people cheating by running with overvoltaged lipos ! The poster that keeps bringing that up should stop it ! After Hurricane Sandy, it is not time to pick on people on Rctech..... Ok...pal.....
bertrandsv87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #17786
Tech Elite

Quote:
I've developed a curious case of amnesia regarding that, Bob. Never happened!

The thing that drew me back to the 03 is simplicity. There's just so much less to go wrong, tune, tweak, or adjust. It's a tank. Running short, indoor tracks, it's perfection. Also, we're running large bricks behind our boards now. I crashed hard enough, head on, recently that my front bumper was torn completely off but the car kept going.

Looks like we're set apart on diffs, though. Tight diffs and oil filled (500000wt)units are ruling up here right now. Our brushless systems overpower normal diff traction easily. It's creating a bit of a hubbub, because its knocked the RWD cars out of contention. There's always going to be someone unhappy, though. Last year it was all M06, all the time, and FWD guys were the "victims".
Okay,my apologies. If you say it didn't happen, it didn't happen. I sure took boat load of crap for extolling the virtues of the 03 over the 05.

One thing about opinions, like those on the virtues of certain things like how tight to run a diff, is that they will evolve over time. I've seen fads come and go. Oil filled gear diffs may be just the ticket, but for me not so much, cause they are not legal in my racing. One of my Australian friends told me that they liked them better with 300k oil tho. It will be interesting to see where the oil filled gear diff finally winds up.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #17787
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydewynder View Post
You definitely have a case of amnesia. Responding to someone who talked sh*t about your forum name and old avatar pic.
Perhaps I'm not the one you are referring to in this post, but it sure seems like it. For your information, if I am, this never happened. Just not my style.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #17788
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydewynder View Post
I'm a very forgiving guy. It's pretty clear that I'm as flawed as anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
Okay,my apologies. If you say it didn't happen, it didn't happen. I sure took boat load of crap for extolling the virtues of the 03 over the 05.
It's more of a convenience based amnesia. I need that to be able to forgive myself for my previous dumbassery. Sorry if I annoyed you, Bob. I'll try not to do it again, but I can't promise anything.

Jim
Old 11-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #17789
Tech Initiate

Thanks Jim and Jeff. Any one know if the Tamiya threads are the same as the 3 Racing? And, does PM hobbies have any?

Time to go shopping.

I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it.
Vincent Van Gogh

Last edited by tossedman; 11-04-2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Had a second thought... And then a third...
tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #17790
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
Perhaps I'm not the one you are referring to in this post, but it sure seems like it. For your information, if I am, this never happened. Just not my style.
C'mon Bob. Look at the name Jim wrote that's in the quote that I quoted from.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote