R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #17731
Tech Champion
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SnowMexico
Posts: 5,839
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tossedman View Post
Holy crap this was a long read! Learned lots though. Now to go put it all to the test.
If you're bored and want to read a little more, here's a pretty good document on basic setup...HERE!

It will download as a .doc file, btw. If you just want to roam his site, I think this is it.
__________________
Stab it and steer.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #17732
Tech Master
 
c-lyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,707
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

If these are the big internal spacers I'll bring some tonight, Jim.
c-lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #17733
Tech Champion
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SnowMexico
Posts: 5,839
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Thanks, Colin. You're the KING.

Funny, can't find any of these things in N. America, but shops in Europe and Australia are offering loads of them for cheap. Also funny: They're under Tamiya 7-digit spares program, but the current part number has 8 digits. (2300010 is now 12300010)
__________________
Stab it and steer.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #17734
Tech Initiate
 
tossedman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Up in the ether somewhere.
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
If you're bored and want to read a little more, here's a pretty good document on basic setup...HERE!

It will download as a .doc file, btw. If you just want to roam his site, I think this is it.
Thanks Jim,
More grist for the mill eh. Hope to get out to Carcar on Tuesday or Thursday for a bit of practice. Got a new radio coming from Santa (i know it's a bit early but my wife works that way. ). It should be here next week. (I hope)

Here's what I've been working on in the meantime. It's an M-05 pro chassis with the Orca Spark combo installed. I put a Kawada Borsche Speed Star body over top of it. Just because I could. It's the first body I've painted and turned out all right. Gotta practice more on that front as well.



__________________
Cheers eh!
Todd

I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it.
Vincent Van Gogh
tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #17735
Tech Adept
 
marcos graveyar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Newtownforbes, Ireland
Posts: 211
Send a message via AIM to marcos graveyar
Default

Ran the M05 in LWB form for the first time today. On a high grip carpet I couldn't get the back end to stop skipping on tighter corners, I tried changing to less gripy tyres, tyres with more grip, soft springs, hard springs, it still skipped. Any thoughts ?

Basic set up,
Front:
Tyres - M-Grips, Spice 5.5mm Medium insert, no additive or glue on tyre.

Damper - TRF M Chassis, 400wt oil, 3 hole piston, one black O-ring under piston, red urethane bush above bladder, 56.25mm, red spring, outer hole on CF upper mount, M06 Ball shaft lower mount.

Camber - Standard link. Toe 2deg out

Rear:
Tyres M-Grips, Tamiya Hard insert, no additive or glue on tyre.

Damper - TRF M Chassis, 400wt oil, 3 hole piston, one black O-ring under piston, red urethane bush above bladder, 56.25mm, red spring, standard upper mount, standard lower mount.

Camber - Adjustable link with 2mm spacer Toe 1.5deg in, Silver anti roll bar.
marcos graveyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:04 PM   #17736
Tech Elite
 
bkspeedo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fort Fun, CO
Posts: 3,067
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcos graveyar View Post
Ran the M05 in LWB form for the first time today. On a high grip carpet I couldn't get the back end to stop skipping on tighter corners, I tried changing to less gripy tyres, tyres with more grip, soft springs, hard springs, it still skipped. Any thoughts ?

Basic set up,
Front:
Tyres - M-Grips, Spice 5.5mm Medium insert, no additive or glue on tyre.

Damper - TRF M Chassis, 400wt oil, 3 hole piston, one black O-ring under piston, red urethane bush above bladder, 56.25mm, red spring, outer hole on CF upper mount, M06 Ball shaft lower mount.

Camber - Standard link. Toe 2deg out

Rear:
Tyres M-Grips, Tamiya Hard insert, no additive or glue on tyre.

Damper - TRF M Chassis, 400wt oil, 3 hole piston, one black O-ring under piston, red urethane bush above bladder, 56.25mm, red spring, standard upper mount, standard lower mount.

Camber - Adjustable link with 2mm spacer Toe 1.5deg in, Silver anti roll bar.
I've come to find out with Mini's that ride height rake is a powerful setup option. I have an M03 but the overall geometries are similar (arm length, upper camber link ect.). I run a substantial amount if negative rake, front higher than the rear. Front ride height 10mm, rear side height 6mm. This helps stop weight transfer to the front keeping more weight on the rear tires which should help keep the rear of the car from skipping around. You may not need this much but give it a try.
__________________
Brent Klingforth
Sponsors: Awesomatix USA ~ Roche USA ~ ORCA ~ AVID Bearings ~ R1 Wurks
TQ Wire ~ ProtoForm ~ BSR Racing Tires ~ 2mm Design
5280raceway.com [Operated by - Colorado On-Road RC Club]
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 20-23rd 2017 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #17737
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcos graveyar View Post
Ran the M05 in LWB form for the first time today. On a high grip carpet I couldn't get the back end to stop skipping on tighter corners, I tried changing to less gripy tyres, tyres with more grip, soft springs, hard springs, it still skipped. Any thoughts ?

Basic set up,
Front:
Tyres - M-Grips, Spice 5.5mm Medium insert, no additive or glue on tyre.

Damper - TRF M Chassis, 400wt oil, 3 hole piston, one black O-ring under piston, red urethane bush above bladder, 56.25mm, red spring, outer hole on CF upper mount, M06 Ball shaft lower mount.

Camber - Standard link. Toe 2deg out

Rear:
Tyres M-Grips, Tamiya Hard insert, no additive or glue on tyre.

Damper - TRF M Chassis, 400wt oil, 3 hole piston, one black O-ring under piston, red urethane bush above bladder, 56.25mm, red spring, standard upper mount, standard lower mount.

Camber - Adjustable link with 2mm spacer Toe 1.5deg in, Silver anti roll bar.
Try increasing the rear camber. You also may try going to softer springs.

Another reason for running the front ride height higher than the rear is that you also get a camber adjustment. Most of the time on hi-grip surfaces, 5mm front and 4mm rear is a workable starting point.

I've done quite a bit of testing on hi-grip asphalt and have found that in my hands, the LWB is about 0.5 sec per lap slower. On lower grip surfaces, the LWB is just fine and is my preference there.

Last edited by Granpa; 10-28-2012 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Addition
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #17738
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Marietta, Ga
Posts: 2,087
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default

I'm having a steering/handling issue with my M05. On carpet the car is very twitchy and rotates very easy, but the rear isn't sliding and tends to roll very easy. I have my radio turned all the way down on speed as well as expo on steering and throttle. EPA is at 70% l/r. Is there anything else electronically I can do? I'm using a m11x.

How about mechanically? The car is on Sweep 33's (spec tires) In LWB with the JCW coupe body. I do have about 21 grams under the servo and the front bumper lower cavity filled with lead, its about 17 grams total.

Setup

Front

Tires - Sweep 33

Shocks - 3 hole, 1mm oring, 500, blue, 57mm

Adjustables - kit camber, 2* toe out, 3.5mm ride height

Rear

Tires - Sweep 33

Shocks - 3 hole, 1mm oring, 350, yellow, 57mm

Adjustables - kit, but do have the adjustable link not installed yet 4.5mm ride height
PROMODVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #17739
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Marietta, Ga
Posts: 2,087
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default

Double post
PROMODVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:09 AM   #17740
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 189
Default

hello I came across spec m-05
and the q is do you guys use the extra heavy alum .pcs? for racing?
motor heat sink or do you buy the alum . motor mount or skip them both? (orca motor doesnt need any help with heat?)
what about the alum plate for the rear wheels?
thanks for any info
urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #17741
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,736
Default

I will mention this because you didn't say what your radio gear is. First you need to check if indeed your exponential is doing what you think it is. I say this because it seems there might be differences between makes. Some soften the servo response at positive expo some soften it at negative. Logic would have you think you need negative exponential to soften the servo response because you need a logarithmic not exponential response curve. Manufacturers don't necessarily follow this logic though. Have a little test with your gear and with the results in hand you'll know.

More from the more knowledgeable.
__________________
Team Greasy Weasel

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:46 AM   #17742
Tech Champion
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SnowMexico
Posts: 5,839
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

My Spektrum has expo backwards. It was really annoying until I figured that out.
__________________
Stab it and steer.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:52 AM   #17743
Tech Master
 
I)arkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Victoria,Aus
Posts: 1,104
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

lol

yeah you want it in the positive range not negative
__________________
B.Portelli
Hyper RC - Metro Hobbies - RAB Hobbies - Wild Turbo Fans
Off road - Schumacher - R1Wurks Australia (Coupon Code - R1BP5%)
On road - Race Opt - Team Powers
I)arkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #17744
Tech Elite
 
axle182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,766
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to axle182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE View Post
I'm having a steering/handling issue with my M05. On carpet the car is very twitchy and rotates very easy, but the rear isn't sliding and tends to roll very easy. I have my radio turned all the way down on speed as well as expo on steering and throttle. EPA is at 70% l/r. Is there anything else electronically I can do? I'm using a m11x.

How about mechanically? The car is on Sweep 33's (spec tires) In LWB with the JCW coupe body. I do have about 21 grams under the servo and the front bumper lower cavity filled with lead, its about 17 grams total.

Setup

Front

Tires - Sweep 33

Shocks - 3 hole, 1mm oring, 500, blue, 57mm

Adjustables - kit camber, 2* toe out, 3.5mm ride height

Rear

Tires - Sweep 33

Shocks - 3 hole, 1mm oring, 350, yellow, 57mm

Adjustables - kit, but do have the adjustable link not installed yet 4.5mm ride height
Can you double check you dont have your rear uprights on the wrong side? You should have toe IN on the rear. We had this problem on someones car last Sunday, once the issue was found and rectified, the car was fine.
__________________
Aaron "AJ" Freind
axle182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #17745
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Marietta, Ga
Posts: 2,087
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for all the tips. I will check those all out and give it a try tomorrow night!
PROMODVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya Mini Cooper M-03L Hop-ups mini71 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 4 05-04-2016 11:07 AM
Tamiya Mini Cooper mach51 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 10 09-02-2011 12:08 AM
FS:TAMIYA Mini Cooper, TA 04S rthmotorsports R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 10-20-2007 09:37 PM
Tamiya 415 MSX and M03 Mini Cooper F/S Racer X79 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 12-22-2006 07:38 AM
Tamiya M01,02,03, or 04 Mini Cooper ccugolf.com R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 2 12-05-2004 08:55 PM


Tags
m03, m03r ules, m05, mini, tamiya


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:58 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0