R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #17731
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tossedman View Post
Holy crap this was a long read! Learned lots though. Now to go put it all to the test.
If you're bored and want to read a little more, here's a pretty good document on basic setup...HERE!

It will download as a .doc file, btw. If you just want to roam his site, I think this is it.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #17732
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If these are the big internal spacers I'll bring some tonight, Jim.
c-lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #17733
Tech Champion

Thanks, Colin. You're the KING.

Funny, can't find any of these things in N. America, but shops in Europe and Australia are offering loads of them for cheap. Also funny: They're under Tamiya 7-digit spares program, but the current part number has 8 digits. (2300010 is now 12300010)
Old 10-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #17734
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
If you're bored and want to read a little more, here's a pretty good document on basic setup...HERE!

It will download as a .doc file, btw. If you just want to roam his site, I think this is it.
Thanks Jim,
More grist for the mill eh. Hope to get out to Carcar on Tuesday or Thursday for a bit of practice. Got a new radio coming from Santa (i know it's a bit early but my wife works that way. ). It should be here next week. (I hope)

Here's what I've been working on in the meantime. It's an M-05 pro chassis with the Orca Spark combo installed. I put a Kawada Borsche Speed Star body over top of it. Just because I could. It's the first body I've painted and turned out all right. Gotta practice more on that front as well.

I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it.
Vincent Van Gogh
tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #17735
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to marcos graveyar

Ran the M05 in LWB form for the first time today. On a high grip carpet I couldn't get the back end to stop skipping on tighter corners, I tried changing to less gripy tyres, tyres with more grip, soft springs, hard springs, it still skipped. Any thoughts ?

Basic set up,
Front:
Tyres - M-Grips, Spice 5.5mm Medium insert, no additive or glue on tyre.

Damper - TRF M Chassis, 400wt oil, 3 hole piston, one black O-ring under piston, red urethane bush above bladder, 56.25mm, red spring, outer hole on CF upper mount, M06 Ball shaft lower mount.

Camber - Standard link. Toe 2deg out

Rear:
Tyres M-Grips, Tamiya Hard insert, no additive or glue on tyre.

Damper - TRF M Chassis, 400wt oil, 3 hole piston, one black O-ring under piston, red urethane bush above bladder, 56.25mm, red spring, standard upper mount, standard lower mount.

Camber - Adjustable link with 2mm spacer Toe 1.5deg in, Silver anti roll bar.
marcos graveyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:04 PM   #17736
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcos graveyar View Post
Ran the M05 in LWB form for the first time today. On a high grip carpet I couldn't get the back end to stop skipping on tighter corners, I tried changing to less gripy tyres, tyres with more grip, soft springs, hard springs, it still skipped. Any thoughts ?

Basic set up,
Front:

Damper - TRF M Chassis, 400wt oil, 3 hole piston, one black O-ring under piston, red urethane bush above bladder, 56.25mm, red spring, outer hole on CF upper mount, M06 Ball shaft lower mount.

Rear:

Damper - TRF M Chassis, 400wt oil, 3 hole piston, one black O-ring under piston, red urethane bush above bladder, 56.25mm, red spring, standard upper mount, standard lower mount.

I've come to find out with Mini's that ride height rake is a powerful setup option. I have an M03 but the overall geometries are similar (arm length, upper camber link ect.). I run a substantial amount if negative rake, front higher than the rear. Front ride height 10mm, rear side height 6mm. This helps stop weight transfer to the front keeping more weight on the rear tires which should help keep the rear of the car from skipping around. You may not need this much but give it a try.
5280raceway.com [Operated by - Colorado On-Road RC Club]
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 20-23rd 2017 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #17737
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcos graveyar View Post

Basic set up,
Front:

Rear:

Try increasing the rear camber. You also may try going to softer springs.

Another reason for running the front ride height higher than the rear is that you also get a camber adjustment. Most of the time on hi-grip surfaces, 5mm front and 4mm rear is a workable starting point.

I've done quite a bit of testing on hi-grip asphalt and have found that in my hands, the LWB is about 0.5 sec per lap slower. On lower grip surfaces, the LWB is just fine and is my preference there.

Last edited by Granpa; 10-28-2012 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Addition
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #17738
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I'm having a steering/handling issue with my M05. On carpet the car is very twitchy and rotates very easy, but the rear isn't sliding and tends to roll very easy. I have my radio turned all the way down on speed as well as expo on steering and throttle. EPA is at 70% l/r. Is there anything else electronically I can do? I'm using a m11x.

How about mechanically? The car is on Sweep 33's (spec tires) In LWB with the JCW coupe body. I do have about 21 grams under the servo and the front bumper lower cavity filled with lead, its about 17 grams total.

Setup

Front

Tires - Sweep 33

Shocks - 3 hole, 1mm oring, 500, blue, 57mm

Adjustables - kit camber, 2* toe out, 3.5mm ride height

Rear

Tires - Sweep 33

Shocks - 3 hole, 1mm oring, 350, yellow, 57mm

Adjustables - kit, but do have the adjustable link not installed yet 4.5mm ride height
PROMODVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #17739
Tech Elite

Double post
Old 10-30-2012, 12:09 AM   #17740
Tech Adept

hello I came across spec m-05
and the q is do you guys use the extra heavy alum .pcs? for racing?
motor heat sink or do you buy the alum . motor mount or skip them both? (orca motor doesnt need any help with heat?)
what about the alum plate for the rear wheels?
thanks for any info
urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #17741
Tech Elite

I will mention this because you didn't say what your radio gear is. First you need to check if indeed your exponential is doing what you think it is. I say this because it seems there might be differences between makes. Some soften the servo response at positive expo some soften it at negative. Logic would have you think you need negative exponential to soften the servo response because you need a logarithmic not exponential response curve. Manufacturers don't necessarily follow this logic though. Have a little test with your gear and with the results in hand you'll know.

More from the more knowledgeable.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:46 AM   #17742
Tech Champion

My Spektrum has expo backwards. It was really annoying until I figured that out.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:52 AM   #17743
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

lol

yeah you want it in the positive range not negative
On road - Race Opt - Team Powers
I)arkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #17744
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to axle182

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE View Post
I'm having a steering/handling issue with my M05. On carpet the car is very twitchy and rotates very easy, but the rear isn't sliding and tends to roll very easy. I have my radio turned all the way down on speed as well as expo on steering and throttle. EPA is at 70% l/r. Is there anything else electronically I can do? I'm using a m11x.

How about mechanically? The car is on Sweep 33's (spec tires) In LWB with the JCW coupe body. I do have about 21 grams under the servo and the front bumper lower cavity filled with lead, its about 17 grams total.

Setup

Front

Tires - Sweep 33

Shocks - 3 hole, 1mm oring, 500, blue, 57mm

Adjustables - kit camber, 2* toe out, 3.5mm ride height

Rear

Tires - Sweep 33

Shocks - 3 hole, 1mm oring, 350, yellow, 57mm

Adjustables - kit, but do have the adjustable link not installed yet 4.5mm ride height
Can you double check you dont have your rear uprights on the wrong side? You should have toe IN on the rear. We had this problem on someones car last Sunday, once the issue was found and rectified, the car was fine.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #17745
Tech Elite

Thanks for all the tips. I will check those all out and give it a try tomorrow night!