R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-26-2012, 05:51 AM   #17581
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to marcos graveyar

Do you guys find the fit of the bearings in the spur gear and the counter gear woeful ?
marcos graveyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:08 AM   #17582
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
Here's something you might try instead of machining custom hinge pins. Use the option hinge pins and cyano them in the chassis. Then assemble the arms around the hinge pins. This will eliminate a lot of the "slop" and is doable by your average Mini owner, who probably doesn't own a lathe or have access to titanium bar stock.

I have done this to the rear of several Minis when they got a little too loose. It's easy to do and not tricky. The front is more difficult and requires that the rear portion of the arm be on the hinge pin before cyanoing on the right side or maybe both sides. Been so long I don't remember. Besides, I use the screw pin in front cause the large head protects the suspension arm.

I don't think you need a spacer between the bearings on the axles. The drive pin will prevent squeezing the hex down so far that you squeeze the bearings together. As evidence of this, the plastic hex often will crack at the drive pin slot. The hex bottoms out on the drive pin causing this.

Please note that there was no intention to slight, insult, demean etc you in any way. If I caused you any offense, let me apologize and assure you that was the furthest thing from my mind. I was just presenting a procedure on hinge pins that was more in the reach of the average modeler. On the axle bearings an alternative view was offered for your consideration and comment and for anyone else's consideration and comment. Ordinarily, I wouldn't add the disclaimer, but I have apparently caused great injury to some people lately.
Don't take to heart everything said on an internet forum.

I have the sensitivity of an anvil, not that easily offended, hehehehe! How do you offend an anvil, by the way?

I already have the option hingepins, but I didn't think of that solution, thank you. I did remember that was how I fixed stripped threads in plastic (and then the plastic cracked and so on). There's never an easy way out of a tight spot.

As for the axle bearings, perhaps you don't do them up tight enough. The plastic hexes have a little shoulder that is supposed to bottom out on the inner bearing race at the same time as pin bottoms out in its slot, but I found that more often than not it pushes against the bearing, especially when the hex is starting to get tired and more so when it is cracked as you say. This is how I started using the spacers.

Racing TC I also found that a sideswipe to the boards or another car can put enough of a shock to the bearings that they become gritty and I hate that. This way, both bearings take the shock of such an incident, hopefully allowing both to survive. Not sure if it works, but at least the driveshaft is not rammed in the diff outdrive (very important when your driveshafts are at the bottom of the outdrive as your car corners at full lock with the suspension under full travel.

Academics, really.

But I have to say in my defense I never had any of those stupid problems any racer has experienced at one time or another like losing a wheel nut and then a wheel, or balljoints popping out and so on. I like that level of reliability and I build my cars for it whether they race or not.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.

Last edited by niznai; 09-26-2012 at 08:21 AM.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #17583
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcos graveyar View Post
Do you guys find the fit of the bearings in the spur gear and the counter gear woeful ?
i've seen it a couple of times..but I always found its fixable because the bearing aren't seated all the way in

I had a buddy's car apart and couldn't figure out what was wrong - swapped both gears and still had the same crap...them I took my trusty Tamiya box wrench and pushed on the bearings and finally seated them correctly...no more wobble

maybe that's the case with yours?
Old 09-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #17584
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcos graveyar View Post
Which version of the gears: black or white? The molds were very slightly different between the two. Bearings tend to be a tiny bit loose in the white versions. The newer reinforced/black gears seem to be a tiny bit more precise.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #17585
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My black gears are worse for the bearings than the white ones.
Now I am using a mix of counter black and white spur

chears
jimjav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #17586
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Don't take to heart everything said on an internet forum.

I have the sensitivity of an anvil, not that easily offended, hehehehe! How do you offend an anvil, by the way?

I already have the option hingepins, but I didn't think of that solution, thank you. I did remember that was how I fixed stripped threads in plastic (and then the plastic cracked and so on). There's never an easy way out of a tight spot.

As for the axle bearings, perhaps you don't do them up tight enough. The plastic hexes have a little shoulder that is supposed to bottom out on the inner bearing race at the same time as pin bottoms out in its slot, but I found that more often than not it pushes against the bearing, especially when the hex is starting to get tired and more so when it is cracked as you say. This is how I started using the spacers.

Racing TC I also found that a sideswipe to the boards or another car can put enough of a shock to the bearings that they become gritty and I hate that. This way, both bearings take the shock of such an incident, hopefully allowing both to survive. Not sure if it works, but at least the driveshaft is not rammed in the diff outdrive (very important when your driveshafts are at the bottom of the outdrive as your car corners at full lock with the suspension under full travel.

Academics, really.

But I have to say in my defense I never had any of those stupid problems any racer has experienced at one time or another like losing a wheel nut and then a wheel, or balljoints popping out and so on. I like that level of reliability and I build my cars for it whether they race or not.
Sorry about the anvil stuff. Glad you liked the hinge pin solution, but to give credit where credit is due, Deven White came up with that one.

I just cannot bring myself to accept the need for a spacer between the bearings. If Tamiya parts are used, either kit or option, there is so much play between the hex and the bearing there is just no way the bearings could be squeezed together. If you place a shim that is much over 0.6mm thick, the wheel will not spin freely. I'll bet you that 99.999% of modelers would take out shims till the wheel spun freely. Therefor no squeezed bearings. You're probably right on the distributing load bit though.

I also tried to figure out how to make such spacer cause it would have to be very precise in width and square. Too short it's useless. Too long and the bearings won't seat. First, you would have to locate material to make this spacer. Next measure how wide to make which for me would be a problem. Then you'd have chuck the spacer material in a lathe and cut off the proper amount ---no lathe in my shop.

Just kiddin' you a bit, but really how would you make that spacer and meet the precise dimensional requirements.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #17587
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjav View Post
My black gears are worse for the bearings than the white ones.
Now I am using a mix of counter black and white spur

chears
Same here. For me it has to do with the newer black spurs being a fraction of an inch larger than the old white ones and not fitting the M-03 properly. I'm not sure if they made new molds or the contraction rate on the new, reinforced material is less than the old, but fitting the new spur so there is no interference takes too much effort.

I'm also holding a grudge, as I destroyed a brand new M-03 chassis and a few sets of gears figuring this out.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:44 AM   #17588
Tech Adept

Default Black gears

Same here. When the M06 came out, I threw the black gears into an M03, and they didn't work right. Made noises when spun. Never figured exactly why, but when put back in the '06, all was well ...
Old 09-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #17589
Tech Addict

Here's a video of the mini A main from our local Tamiya Cup Finals in South Africa.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.