Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 09:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tim K
Yes, I've raced an M05S with this body, it will just fit, but not if you use the optional front shock tower.
Thanks for the response!
Old 05-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by phmaximus
Just got a 2nd hand one of these, pimped it up with some go fast bits, body, lipo and a 4300kv HW combo.... Yep I'm bored of it all ready... Might be more fun on a track I suppose
Curious post. Your being bored with it is understandable however, if you aren't racing it. Most of us who post here race them in one way or another, whether it's in a formal series like the TCS, club racing, or just racing with friends. That's where the fun is. Many of us race them cause they are inexpensive, rugged, and give you the most bang for the buck in R/C racing. They are also fascinating, exasperating, and satisfying when you get them to run right.

Why not try a little racing before announcing how bored you are. Why not post where you are and I'm sure someone here can find a club etc. where you can test your skills. It could be that you are so highly skilled that your boredom is justified. Then find a class where your skills will be put to a test.

Forgive me, but I just can't understand the attitude. I am always eager to hear from people who say how much fun they are having or how they made their car better or ???? on how they can make their car better or etc. Just don't want to hear from someone who's bored with something I find so enjoyable. Something is wrong with one of us and if it's me don't tell me about it.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

i have these yeah racing front knuckles for trade. PM me if you are interested

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ah-racing.html
Old 05-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Grandpa,

Thank you for the setup tips. It was definitely better. I TQ'ed and won. However...

Everytime I would turn quick and hard on fast sweepers, the inner tires would come up. I have to be subtle / gentle on steering on high speed corners. It needs a little more fine tuning.

I will update more after my next race.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bukil
Grandpa,

Thank you for the setup tips. It was definitely better. I TQ'ed and won. However...

Everytime I would turn quick and hard on fast sweepers, the inner tires would come up. I have to be subtle / gentle on steering on high speed corners. It needs a little more fine tuning.

I will update more after my next race.
Mark, glad I could help out. It's the fine tuning that is the fun part. Good luck and have fun. Can't tell you much more w/out seeing how your car goes. Be careful about which end of the car needs the work.

Are you guys running the Tamiya Spec tire or are your races open tire like the Speedtech races????
Old 05-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Mark, glad I could help out. It's the fine tuning that is the fun part. Good luck and have fun. Can't tell you much more w/out seeing how your car goes. Be careful about which end of the car needs the work.

Are you guys running the Tamiya Spec tire or are your races open tire like the Speedtech races????
Open tires, but there's this "anomaly" about using ride rims / tires (not sure which one - didn't really care because I don't use those). Most people believe they are slightly taller than the 60D tamiya ones. Some racers that were using these were asked to put a lower tooth pinion to confirm the speed difference between the two.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:28 PM
Tech Addict

Just curious and have a couple of questions..

Since there's only a couple different pinion options, what size motors can you use and what pinions would you use on each??

also,

What upgrades would you have to do/purchase to get an M-chasis to keep up with a VTA car?

I no longer have a place to race my M-05 and just trying to get some fun out of it. I'm guessing the local track would allow one of these in their scale-spec class

Any advice helps, thanks!
Old 05-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Remember this thing?... Only released a few months ago amidst loads of hype and interest.

Is it possibly the biggest m chassis flop ever? We didn't even bother to do Part 2 of our review on the car because Tim lost the will to live after Part 1.

How could Tamiya have got it SO wrong?.............
Old 05-28-2012, 07:46 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony gray
It probably has something to do with them having their heads shoved deeply up their own...patooties. 380 motors? Weird little LiFe batteries? Re-re-re-releasing the same crap over and over again? Missing out on the short course truck craze completely? A bizarre preoccupation with outdated brushed motors? this portion cheerfully withdrawn

I know Tamiya likes to blow their own horn, but there are some deeply ingrained standards in the RC world. Bucking those conventions is either brilliant or suicidal. In this case, it's the latter. I'd suggest that the TA05 M-FOUR just didn't go far enough into M sized TC territory to be taken seriously. I don't suspect the price helped much either. It's a bit sad.

There's no doubt that I don't speak for the whole RC world, only myself, but I figure others must feel the same way. If they didn't, Tamiya would've sold boatloads of these things.

Rant complete.

Last edited by monkeyracing; 05-28-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

Gosh Jim, ease up a little on US TCS racing. I sort of enjoy it in spite of it's occasional frustrations. The Mini pro rules are pretty straightforward and are easily understandable. Also, it's an experimental class and some of the "oddities" will be corrected. It's a fun class to run, but hopefully they'll tame it down just a bit.

As far as the TA05M, there have been only couple that I've seen. It takes a lot of work to get one of these to be "right", but they are fast and can be made to be a really good car. Given my choice tho, would pick the Atomic.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

PM on the way, Bob.

Last edited by monkeyracing; 05-28-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tony gray
Remember this thing?... Only released a few months ago amidst loads of hype and interest.

Is it possibly the biggest m chassis flop ever? We didn't even bother to do Part 2 of our review on the car because Tim lost the will to live after Part 1.

As you already know, 4wd minis were never very popular and Tamiya came late to the party. If people wanted a proper shrunken tamiya that used a 540 motor and full sized LiPo they would have already bought a Fujin. It's basically is a small 416we and it costs less too. The best value 4wd mini right now is the Atomic which is a shrunken XRay for 1/2 the cost of that Tamiya M Four.

Too bad Tim is so disappointed by the car. I was looking forward to part 2 of the review just to see what you guys found out about the car. Oh well.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:03 AM
Tech Elite

I'm sure the M-four makes sense in Japan.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:22 AM
Tech Regular

There will be a part 2 to the story. I thought I'd wait until I had more than a 1 sentence review. "Part 2 - it's crap." Somehow I think I need to fill it out a little. I have another motor combo to test in it, so there will be more to the story.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:56 AM
Tech Addict

Guys at RC-mini.net

Was the Open class only 2WD?

So there is:

M-chassie class
2WD open
4WD

In the Open class:

any M06 cars there?

what was the rules? No weight limit? Motor limit?

Imagining a M-06 with a Team Powers mini motor 8,5T and 140grams. shorty pack or smaller and tiny everything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.