R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #17056
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Ran my M04 for the first time in a few years. Can't remember how in the world I used to dominate with it. The M03 is going back on the track next week.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:42 AM   #17057
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I need help. My M05 will not stop traction rolling on low-medium bite asphalt.

My setup is as follows:
Yellow springs (long) all around - tried blue front / yellow rear - helped the front to not dive to hard on corner entry.
15 wt AE oil - no limiters; no shock oil was better
58mm shock length
#2 hole from inner on front shock tower (blue aluminum shock tower installed)
M wheelbase (using suzuki swift body)
5mm hex hubs w 1.0 shims just for rear
rear sway bar installed - silver
ride height - I just eyeball the a-arms parallel to setup board . I tried 5mm. It didn't work. I even went lower than that. It still didn't work.
1-2 deg toe out
Tamiya S-grip premount tires

One thing I noticed is the car has too much roll. Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:57 AM   #17058
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukil View Post

My setup is as follows:
Yellow springs (long) all around - tried blue front / yellow rear - helped the front to not dive to hard on corner entry.
58mm shock length
ride height - I just eyeball the a-arms parallel to setup board . I tried 5mm. It didn't work. I even went lower than that. It still didn't work.
1-2 deg toe out

You might want to go up in oil weight. With red rear blue front I'm using 40wt and 50wt with 3 hole in both.

How heavy is the car? If you have no additional weight and your running lipo you will probably need to add some. S-grips all round? if your on carpet try M all around, or S front M rear. The 60d size is probably hurting you a bit with the traction roll too, so try CAing the tyre sidewalls.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:04 AM   #17059
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wollow86 View Post
You might want to go up in oil weight. With red rear blue front I'm using 40wt and 50wt with 3 hole in both.

How heavy is the car? If you have no additional weight and your running lipo you will probably need to add some. S-grips all round? if your on carpet try M all around, or S front M rear. The 60d size is probably hurting you a bit with the traction roll too, so try CAing the tyre sidewalls.
I don't know the exact weight of the car, but I did add weight in the rear. ~7-14 grams. They are in the housing. There is no way to check unless I tear the whole rear apart.

S-grips all around. Asphalt.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:24 AM   #17060
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
I don't know the exact weight of the car, but I did add weight in the rear. ~7-14 grams. They are in the housing. There is no way to check unless I tear the whole rear apart.

S-grips all around. Asphalt.
Hmm, depending on the electronics your running, that's probably not heavy enough. A heavy mini helps prevent grip roll, as well as put the power down better. So try adding more weight. I'd suggest cramming a bunch in the bumper. Something else to remember, for my M05, with hobbywing 13T, I have to add about 20g extra to the bumper for close to 50/50 weight balance. I'm going to try to make a mould of the bumper and pour lead straight in there to remove some of the chassis weights from above the battery.

S-Grips on asphalt is an odd option? How are they lasting? S-Grips on carpet for me are lucky to make one meeting on the front. Have you tried Ride 3035 or M60 on the front with team powers 36 or shimzu 24sp on the rear?
Old 05-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #17061
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:

My setup is as follows:
58mm shock length
1-2 deg toe out

I am not an expert by any means but here it goes...

Do you have to run Tamiya tires? They tend to traction roll if the front sidewalls aren't glued. Especially if they are worn. We run on a low grip parking lot and have a lot of luck with sweep mini tires.

I also have a thin weight bar I can slide in with the battery. I have a few different sizes up to 70 grams. I just slide it in and see if it helps. It helps a lot with traction rolling. And easily removable for different tracks.

If you think there's to much roll you could and spacers or o rings in the shocks.

With a mini it's 80% tires. I fought with a worn set of tcs spec tires for a weekend. I Borrowed a new set and the car was dialed.

Hope something helps
Chris
gruman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #17062
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tamiya Tyres

Hi All

Just trying to get to grips with my m06 and needs some help with tyres
So far the best combo I have used is for Tamiya Slick Type B's on the front and Slick Type A's on the rear but its still quite understeery.
I'm looking to try some of the other types of slick tyre - slicks and superslicks but does anyone know how soft/hard they are compared to the type A's and B's?
Also how do the radials compare to the slicks? I've used the kit radials and the S grips but these seem to provide less traction then the slicks i'm using.

Anyone got a chart listing all the tamiya mini tyres from softest to hardest?

Thanks for any help in advance

Paul
Team EAM
mutley001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #17063
Tech Addict

Default Mini bumper

Does anyone know who makes this bumper and where i can buy one ?
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya mini cooper-mini-bumper.jpg  
Old 05-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #17064
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Hmm, depending on the electronics your running, that's probably not heavy enough. A heavy mini helps prevent grip roll, as well as put the power down better. So try adding more weight. I'd suggest cramming a bunch in the bumper. Something else to remember, for my M05, with hobbywing 13T, I have to add about 20g extra to the bumper for close to 50/50 weight balance. I'm going to try to make a mould of the bumper and pour lead straight in there to remove some of the chassis weights from above the battery.

S-Grips on asphalt is an odd option? How are they lasting? S-Grips on carpet for me are lucky to make one meeting on the front. Have you tried Ride 3035 or M60 on the front with team powers 36 or shimzu 24sp on the rear?
We only run silver can mini here. I've been running one full set of s-grips for about at least 4 race days now, and they show minimal wear. The reason for using S-grip tires is that our mini enduro race is coming up. I'd like to use them as they last way longer than my sweeps. Weird huh? It gets expensive if I were to get just the S-grip tires with the regular 60D inserts. However, this combo is dialed.

I don't know if the insert that came with the S-grip premounts are the same as the one that you get from the regular 60D tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruman28 View Post
I am not an expert by any means but here it goes...

Do you have to run Tamiya tires? They tend to traction roll if the front sidewalls aren't glued. Especially if they are worn. We run on a low grip parking lot and have a lot of luck with sweep mini tires.

I also have a thin weight bar I can slide in with the battery. I have a few different sizes up to 70 grams. I just slide it in and see if it helps. It helps a lot with traction rolling. And easily removable for different tracks.

If you think there's to much roll you could and spacers or o rings in the shocks.

With a mini it's 80% tires. I fought with a worn set of tcs spec tires for a weekend. I Borrowed a new set and the car was dialed.

Hope something helps
Chris
This is what I was thinking too. Add limiters. I don't need to run the tamiya tires. I chose to run it as it has its advantages, and obviously disadvantages. In fact, the sweeps are on-point. However, they don't really last long.

Thanks for the help guys. Keep them coming. I will report back soon.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #17065
Tech Elite

If you are traction rolling on a low grip surfacewith S grips, that is unusual.

This is my setup on my M05 which seems to work on every track surface I've run it on.

Shocks TRF TC shocks with 28mm shock piston rods. 40 wt Losi shock oil. 3 hole pistons. No red sponge on the diaphragm and no internal shock limiters. Zero rebound.

Springs. From the #53333 spring set. Yellow fronts and blue rears.

Light rear roll bar.

Rear camber is 1.5 degrees and the ride height is "motor boated" 1mm. Won't spell out the exact amounts cause it depends a lot on where you measure it.

Last edited by Granpa; 05-20-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Misread Bukil's post
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #17066
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
Bukil, your location says SoCal. Which track is running a Mini enduro????? The only hi-grip asphalt track that's in my data base is WCR. We've tried more than once to get a Mini class there, but the support just wasn't --------.
Hey grandpa. I race in Camarillo. We will have the enduro soon. The board members haven't officially announced it yet.

Cam is not high grip, which bugs the heck out of me. I don't understand why I keep getting grip roll.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #17067
Tech Elite

Quote:
Hey grandpa. I race in Camarillo. We will have the enduro soon. The board members haven't officially announced it yet.

Cam is not high grip, which bugs the heck out of me. I don't understand why I keep getting grip roll.
You have PM
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #17068
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

[QUOTE=wollow86;10754989] I'm going to try to make a mould of the bumper and pour lead straight in there to remove some of the chassis weights from above the battery.

I just took one of my extra M05 bumpers put it in the freezer for a few hours then misted it with water, so it had a frosty coating. Then I melted down a 55cent lead automotive battery clamp in an cut in half pop can. Then I poured in the lead, the steam from the frozzen water mist in the bumper did not allow the lead to stick to the plastic bumper. I quickly dropped the whole bumper into ice water. It worked way better than one would think.Popped out the lead weight, filed in the chassis centre grove, dropped it into a fresh bumper.Works great. Very cheap and easy to make.
Mister Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #17069
Tech Elite

[quote=Mister Pink;10756498]
Quote:
I'm going to try to make a mould of the bumper and pour lead straight in there to remove some of the chassis weights from above the battery.

I just took one of my extra M05 bumpers put it in the freezer for a few hours then misted it with water, so it had a frosty coating. Then I melted down a 55cent lead automotive battery clamp in an cut in half pop can. Then I poured in the lead, the steam from the frozzen water mist in the bumper did not allow the lead to stick to the plastic bumper. I quickly dropped the whole bumper into ice water. It worked way better than one would think.Popped out the lead weight, filed in the chassis centre grove, dropped it into a fresh bumper.Works great. Very cheap and easy to make.
You guys can buy this
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #17070
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutley001 View Post
Hi All

Just trying to get to grips with my m06 and needs some help with tyres
So far the best combo I have used is for Tamiya Slick Type B's on the front and Slick Type A's on the rear but its still quite understeery.
I'm looking to try some of the other types of slick tyre - slicks and superslicks but does anyone know how soft/hard they are compared to the type A's and B's?
Also how do the radials compare to the slicks? I've used the kit radials and the S grips but these seem to provide less traction then the slicks i'm using.

Anyone got a chart listing all the tamiya mini tyres from softest to hardest?

Thanks for any help in advance

Paul
Anyone list the tamiya tyres softest to hardest please???
Team EAM
mutley001 is offline   Reply With Quote