Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 04-17-2012, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BoneCrusher

No, there are theatrics at our local clubs too where grown men whine and pout like little children when they think they got "hacked" or breakdown. Quite entertaining actually.

Ivan
you got that right But truth be told, overall the driving etiquette is quite good at both clubs, compared to what ive seen elsewhere around the world
Old 04-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sydewynder
If you're stripping the splines in the outdrive holes/outdrives, make sure there is an oring in each cup to keep them from sliding out. But also make sure the dogbones don't bind up when the oring is in.
You can use the black oring, pink foam thing that comes with the M05 ball diff or just cut a thin slice of nitro fuel tubing.

Note: Fuel tubing not allowed in TCS
Originally Posted by monkeyracing
How have you stripped the ball diff? Is it just plain wear on the balls and plates or is something else going on. How tight do you crank it down? The Manta Ray diff should be at least as tough as the TA03. They're the same diff, but the Manta Ray is just bulkier.

If you're not running TCS rules, then you could try the 3Racing oil filled gear diff with some 300,000+ wt silicone in it. You could run a locked diff too, if your club allows.
Thanks.. they're cranked down pretty tight.. the first time it was the nut that got stripped, the second time I think it might be the same time. The nut that goes in after the spring washers..

At first I thought it might be with the outdrives slipping out, but I put some fuel tubing in them. With no load on the tires they're turning, but as soon as I put the car down the motor spins, I assume some gearing goes, but the wheels don't move.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jjjheimer
Thanks.. they're cranked down pretty tight.. the first time it was the nut that got stripped, the second time I think it might be the same time. The nut that goes in after the spring washers..

At first I thought it might be with the outdrives slipping out, but I put some fuel tubing in them. With no load on the tires they're turning, but as soon as I put the car down the motor spins, I assume some gearing goes, but the wheels don't move.
It's very unusual to have the diff nut strip. In fact, I've never seen one do that. From what you're describing, it sounds more like the diff nut loosened. Did you loctite the diff nut????

When the outdrives strip, usually only one side will go. The car will pull drastically to one side, but should have some front drive. The odds of both going at the same time are pretty high.

I'm also assuming the gears and the other transmission parts are in good shape.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

hey thanks for all the tips with m05 vs m06 guess i need both lol.

the wcics has 40 minis at races? holly crap that sure wasnt the case when i stopped racing a few years ago thats great. i wouldlike to see the video you talked about of the racing see how it is compaired to how it used to be. i look forward to racing again this season would have raced again this season but broke my neck instead seemed way cheaper haha.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

We've got the 2 clubs in Calgary and during the winter, we both race every weekend. On a good weekend both clubs will see 25+ minis, not to mention 2 classes each of touring and 12th scale, plus VTA/GT. Mind you, it's mostly the same (very lucky to have two clubs) guys at both locations. One club runs Friday, the other Saturday or Sunday. It's a great time to live where we do.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

thats awesome glad you guys got alot of run time there.

do you have a good starting point for the m05 in set up and what hop ups i should be making sure i have on? i cant get a m05 pro or anything they are out of stock so i will just build up a car from basic kit.

does anyone run ceramic bearings and if so did it make a big difference over a well cleaned smooth set of regular bearings?
Old 04-17-2012, 07:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Start here and you're well on the way. I can't see ceramics being worth the expense in mini, unless the class is HYPER-competitive and even then they'd be a stretch. There are a zillion other places in a mini that would suck up any advantage gained. Buy something like Avid Revolutions bearings for a buck each, clean the grease out, one drop of light oil back in and you're golden.

For hop ups: Uprights, steering, differential. Uprights for durability. Steering gear for accuracy and durability. Diff for speed. Bearings still come first, though.

Jim
Old 04-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

what do you mean other areas the would suck up any advantage?

thank you very much for the set up link.

just to be clear this isnt by any mean my first kit or racing have done it for many years i just had to leave for a while, then broke my neck and it kept me away now healing stupid neck brace off soon so its a coming out of retirement return. i did fairly well in wcics races in the past always in the A but never winning darn it haha.

i only say this so you dont feel the need to over simplify things. as i do know its hard on a form to know wether your talking to someone that knows anything or even if its an 8year old type thing
Old 04-17-2012, 09:59 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

No worries. What I mean is that there's a lot of slop in minis that outweighs a relatively minuscule gain made by a ceramic vs. well maintained metal bearing. You can set them up pretty well and make them fast, but they're still a blunt instrument. I've heard of some people shimming and re-engineering the bejesus out of them. That just tends to make them twitchy and harder to drive for all but the most finely tuned RC bots.

Get the car setup, run it for a while and if you're still hurting for speed after that, find the fastest guy in your club out for a beer. Once he's drunk and less able to defend himself, beat him mercilessly until he gives up every last speed secret. Then tell me.

Broken neck? I feel your pain, but I can top the hell outta that. That's a whole other story. Welcome back to RC!

Jim
Old 04-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
No worries. What I mean is that there's a lot of slop in minis that outweighs a relatively minuscule gain made by a ceramic vs. well maintained metal bearing. You can set them up pretty well and make them fast, but they're still a blunt instrument. I've heard of some people shimming and re-engineering the bejesus out of them. That just tends to make them twitchy and harder to drive for all but the most finely tuned RC bots.

Get the car setup, run it for a while and if you're still hurting for speed after that, find the fastest guy in your club out for a beer. Once he's drunk and less able to defend himself, beat him mercilessly until he gives up every last speed secret. Then tell me.

Broken neck? I feel your pain, but I can top the hell outta that. That's a whole other story. Welcome back to RC!

Jim

blunt instument thats so funny and true. getting the fast guy drunk seems like a good idea even more so if i do it the night before the mains then he is hung over to , i dont drink anymore part of the reason i left racing i dont hide it.

ya broken neck long story short im a moron, but nurses were real cute and chicks dig scars haha. i look forward to meeting at a race to hear your story.

im also going to try send you a pm about other related racing stuff
Old 04-18-2012, 12:47 AM
Tech Regular

double post, weird computer!

Last edited by FNG RIDER; 04-18-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:14 AM
Tech Regular

Pics of the CRX I picked up today. I did a hack job on the rt frt wheel well cut out, luckily I focused on the rear tire so the front well is blurred. lol
Any way painting is done! It's my least favorite thing to do. So let's go racing!
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-m05-pro-crx-009.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-m05-pro-crx-005.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-m05-pro-crx-003.jpg  
Old 04-18-2012, 01:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snopro31
getting the fast guy drunk seems like a good idea even more so if i do it the night before the mains then he is hung over to
You'd think that. Just had a big away event on the weekend and one of the guys was out drinking till 5am (we were meant to be at the track at 6am...).

He turned faster laps then the practice day before, and out qualified all of us...
Old 04-18-2012, 03:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BoneCrusher
Too kind Sydewynder, but I still need a lot more work on that. We finished a few weeks ago our WCICS races and it’s two years in a row leading the last Mini Championship deciding race and then losing it with less than a minute to go cause I couldn’t defend against a faster car I may finally learn my lesion…..nah, I’m too cheap and lazy to change. We had a good turn out with almost 40 Mini’s. There’s video of the race but hasn’t been posted yet…..if only you can hear the ruffling of my flag going down the straight. Love it!

Where are you located? If you ever come by our neck of the woods, our local club races usually have pretty good turnouts. I really think Mini is a good way for beginners to start their RC racing experience, intermediate guys like myself to have a “fun” class and also advance drivers to show us how much more we have to learn!

No, there are theatrics at our local clubs too where grown men whine and pout like little children when they think they got "hacked" or breakdown. Quite entertaining actually.

Ivan
Well you have to be a pretty good driver to be consistently near the top in the classes you run. Especially when you run an unmaintained old school m03.

Thanks for the invite to your clubs. I almost made it to your neck of the woods last summer. Weekend visits are out though since it's a 1300 mi drive from the west coast. I'll make it someday.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snopro31
hey thanks for all the tips with m05 vs m06 guess i need both lol.

the wcics has 40 minis at races? holly crap that sure wasnt the case when i stopped racing a few years ago thats great. i wouldlike to see the video you talked about of the racing see how it is compaired to how it used to be. i look forward to racing again this season would have raced again this season but broke my neck instead seemed way cheaper haha.
You probably know that Regina still has a WCICS race. Was there mid-February in that Christian College gym. 120 ft straight, Ozite carpet on glass smooth surface!!!

Originally Posted by Sydewynder
Well you have to be a pretty good driver to be consistently near the top in the classes you run. Especially when you run an unmaintained old school m03.

Thanks for the invite to your clubs. I almost made it to your neck of the woods last summer. Weekend visits are out though since it's a 1300 mi drive from the west coast. I'll make it someday.
Found it! First video was last years Mini A Final in Calgary during the Red Dot Silver Can days on one of our clubs’ promotional video page.

http://www.karz.ca/karzcalgary/Videos.html

The second video is this years Mini A Final in Calgary using the Orca Q Spark Brushless Motor Combo. Choked big time under a minute to go in both races. Can you guess which car I’m driving?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h1In3stuTU

Where are you located in the West Coast? How's the Mini turnouts there?

Ivan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.