R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #16696
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
We use the Sweep pre-mounts at the local carpet championship. No complaints for grip. Always 25s on the rear, usually 33s with glued sidewalls on the front now.

Ty very much. I will try
Hidetaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #16697
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There was 9mm of spacers inside each shock. Removed 3mm on the front and needed 6mm removed on the rear. Now I have 5mm front and rear with the sweeps. And about 2-3mm of drop
Old 02-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #16698
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Selling my M06. I'm getting into some faster classes and this has been sitting on my shelf being unused for too long. It is very fast and is set up very well for medium grip ozite carpet.

Tamiya M06 Pro RTR TCS-legal $175 [SHIPPED]

Make me an offer!
Railroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #16699
Tech Addict

Default kit bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
Hi Guys.
Did any of the M03L kits come with bearings ??
I just bought a new M03L online & I just need to know weather to order bearing as well.

Cheers
Just an update...
My M03L kit DID come with OEM wheel bearings, but not gearbox bearings.
Go figure ....

Any idea's on how to keep those kit plastic wheel hex things on the axels when chaging tyres/doing maintaince. The slip off & the pin falls out

Local rules dont allow clamping hex's

Cheers
1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #16700
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You could apply a little grease to the pin so it's more likely to stay put.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #16701
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi All
I've been reading this thread for a long time but never had to ask anything as it was all there already.

Thanks to Ivan many more questions for me not to ask.
However.........

I have an M03M and the ball diff is as tight as it will go, but still feels loose when you hold one tire and spin the other.
My mini pushes hard in the corners which to me means the ball diff is tight.
I run S-grip- F, Slicks- R. I will be testing M grips all around as I recall M grip with hard front gives more grip than S-grips on carpet..

Some have said I don't have enough droop. This confuses me as I've read 5mm under piston and most seem to run .5mm - 1mm droop.
I have removed all rear spacers and left the front alone and will test again.
Shock length was 56mm now 59mm.

Also I did put o-rings on the shock mounting screws, but are the shocks suppose to be tight or move up/down on the mounting screws?

Oh and for the record, Ivan drives circles around me too, even with his supposedly unmaintained mini.
Maybe Jim needs some more rehab and another car to look at.

Thanks

www.rcgears.net, www.carcar.ca
Thanks to my Sponsor: Shred-A-Can Metal Recyclers LTD
www.shredacan.com

Last edited by chongo; 02-12-2012 at 09:04 AM.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #16702
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
Hi All
I've been reading this thread for a long time but never had to ask anything as it was all there already.

Thanks to Ivan many more questions for me not to ask.
However.........

I have an M03M and the ball diff is as tight as it will go, but still feels loose when you hold one tire and spin the other.
My mini pushes hard in the corners which to me means the ball diff is tight.
I run S-grip- F, Slicks- R. I will be testing M grips all around as I recall M grip with hard front gives more grip than S-grips on carpet..

Some have said I don't have enough droop. This confuses me as I've read 5mm under piston and most seem to run .5mm - 1mm droop.
I have removed all rear spacers and left the front alone and will test again.
Shock length was 56mm now 59mm.

Also I did put o-rings on the shock mounting screws, but are the shocks suppose to be tight or move up/down on the mounting screws?

Oh and for the record, Ivan drives circles around me too, even with his supposedly unmaintained mini.
Maybe Jim needs some more rehab and another car to look at.

Thanks
I would try different tires in the rear. A slicks if that's what you are using is Tamiya's softest ones. Best this to do is check what your fast guys at the track are using. I guess ask Ivan.
The reason some have suggested more rear droop is to give more weight transfer to the front off power coming into a turn.
I would try higher rear ride height than the front and see if that helps with you push.
On my shocks, (Al ones) the shockends can wiggle on the balls to avoid binding. Using step screws to mount the shocks, still should be loose enough to avoid binding. If there is a lot of up down slop then are the plastic end holes worn and now too big?
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #16703
Tech Elite

@BoneCrusher

How does CAing the side walls and the outer tread affect handling? It is to reduce traction rolls basically by reducing side bite on the tire. You might feel a loss in turn in but if your rolling........
Old 02-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #16704
Tech Champion

The CA creates a trade off. The car gets comparatively looser (plows) but also becomes more predictable. It's easier to control understeer than to catch the tail end of a short wheelbase that's trying to pass the front. I've found it about as running a spool. Actually, when I run a spool, the car barely changes.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #16705
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydewynder View Post
I would try different tires in the rear. A slicks if that's what you are using is Tamiya's softest ones. Best this to do is check what your fast guys at the track are using. I guess ask Ivan.
The reason some have suggested more rear droop is to give more weight transfer to the front off power coming into a turn.
I would try higher rear ride height than the front and see if that helps with you push.
On my shocks, (Al ones) the shockends can wiggle on the balls to avoid binding. Using step screws to mount the shocks, still should be loose enough to avoid binding. If there is a lot of up down slop then are the plastic end holes worn and now too big?
Thanks
I'll check my AL shock/caps tonite. I believe my rear ride height is 1 mm higher than the front already, but I'll double check.
I think Ivan runs s-grips front, m-grips rear, but I've been running my tire combo for a year and this push just started.
It must be in the droop and or ball diff gone bad. I switched back to a gear diff to rule out the ball diff being worn out.
If I could get out to practice i would know more.

www.shredacan.com
Old 02-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #16706
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to axle182

Jimbo, the CA trick only creates more push if the CA is more onto the tread of the tire. If you start with a thin bead around the edge of the tread (not on the tread, on the sidewall, but right at the edge of the tread) and try it, you may find the car doesnt flip anymore, but will stand up on two wheels when driven hard. Another 1mm of CA onto the tread ive found doesnt make the car push at all, but eliminates the inside wheels coming up. Using too much onto the tread will make the car push badly, and ive stupidly done this on some S grips. Using a dremel with sanding disk u can easily remove the CA and the tire will be fine. Its a great trick to use when you want to use sticky tires, you get the best amount of grip, and when your hard driving gets fast enough that the car would normally flip, the CA wont allow it

My idea with the excessive weight is actually due to the amount of large bumps we have under the carpet at one of our local tracks. I used the weight to make the suspension work harder, and with soft springs, my tire is in contact with the track more often.

Jeff, could be that your front tires have lost their 'goodness'. I have found that a tire that is less than 3 months old will perform alot better than something 5-6 or a year old, but usually its not too much that more sauce wont cure it. Sorry I wasnt able to help you last Friday night, i hate it when i have to say no to helping someone, but i was flat out working on a broken stock TC, buildinga 12th scale and finding out why Tom's rec kept resetting.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #16707
Tech Champion

I've got my CA habit nicely under control these days. I like the mild push I'm getting. I really only roll when I do something stupid (frequently) or hit a really sticky spot on the tape. (less frequently) My issue now is consistency and dealing with traffic. I'd love to have more pull out of corners, but that's a whole other bag.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #16708
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle182 View Post

Jeff, could be that your front tires have lost their 'goodness'. I have found that a tire that is less than 3 months old will perform alot better than something 5-6 or a year old, but usually its not too much that more sauce wont cure it. Sorry I wasnt able to help you last Friday night, i hate it when i have to say no to helping someone, but i was flat out working on a broken stock TC, building a 12th scale and finding out why Tom's rec kept resetting.
No worries we all have our demons.

www.shredacan.com
Old 02-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #16709
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sorry I didnít follow up on my testing last weekend but here it isÖ

Before the weekend club race, I changed 2 things:

1. Rear springs from red to blue to decrease the weight transfer to the rear tires when laying down the power out of the corner.

2. Change the screws that hold the top and bottom of the front shocks to ball cups. Iíve been using the screws with the Ďtop hatí things in the hole of the top cap for a few years now but never realized that there was so much Ďslopí or you can call it droop in the front and back. Since my problem was front grip on power, I only changed the front to decrease front droop, hence decrease weight transfer to the rear.

For our club racing that night, I think we had around 30 Miniís. We run on regular office pile type carpet (donít ask me how but it works) and on a track layout thatís been run for a few weeks now and I would say grip is med to high, but definitely high near the end of the night. Generally the M06ís dominate and 2 of the clubís top drivers were there with theirs and another handful of the usually fast guys including our current regional race series leader and last years champion (axle182) running their FWDís.

Tested my M03 in the first round with the setup described above and I qualified 3rd behind the 2 M06ís and slowest fast lap in the top 8 cars unfortunately. The car handled better I believed but the M06ís still left the corner a bit faster than me but pretty fast I think for a FWD. The 1st round Tqíer (Rick), decided to make me a gear diff with white putty in it and told me to test that, so I took my ball diff out and changed only that.

UNBELIEVABLE.

The club allows you to do anything to your diff as you could even run a spool if you want. However, our regional series allows only for Tamiya ďas built per instructionsĒ so I never bothered to change it. Why not now. Long story short, at the end of qualifying, I ended up second positionÖÖ0.1 seconds behind TQ (Rick). Not bad. In the finals, Rick and I were fairly equal and left the rest of the field. He made a slight mistake and I had the race pretty much won (2nd place was a second or so behind) until I choked with about a lap to go when I caught a corner dot and flipped. Oh well.

What I learned was the 2 changes before the race I think helped a bit as my car was pretty fast in the infield. It wasnít until I used the putty in the gear diff did the car shine. The diff was still free but tighter than my ball diff at the end of the night. Weird also but I didnít get any torque steer.

Unfortunately I have to remove that gear diff for our big regional race series this weekend (120 feet straight!!!) as the current points leader is a stickler for the rules and he has the car to beat and I guarantee you heíll tear my car down if I beat him. I hope those 2 changes Iíve made can make a difference.

Will let you know.

Quote:
Quote:
@BoneCrusher

How does CAing the side walls and the outer tread affect handling? It is to reduce traction rolls basically by reducing side bite on the tire. You might feel a loss in turn in but if your rolling........
I actually use S grips all around. I glue my front tires like whatís been described above. I left the ďslopĒ in the rear shocks to give that droop for the rear. I have no problem steering in the infield. I guess slop in the back is fine but probably less in the front is better. You havenít seen the body I use on my mini as youíll be surprise it actually works pretty well and Iím even sporting the cover of an instant noodle package attached to a stick as a flag. Love the ruffling sounds as I go down the straight!!! You have to see it to believe it.

Ivan
Old 02-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #16710
Tech Elite

@BoneCrusher

Good to hear you found out what your issue is. As suspected, the diff is your problem. I think you'll be running a stuffed up gear diff for your club races from now on.

For your regional WCICS races, if the current points leader wins, take apart his diff "just to check". Then you can see how he puts it together and copy it.

I'm guessing your car body is the caterpillar or toilet body? Actually I bet it's some sort of pickup truck. Less body lexan on top = less weight on top = less rollover. .......but then you mentioned a flag.......

Oh for those pesky M06s, a slight tap will do the trick.