R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #16636
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
Why do you think they made a point of mentioning that it has a gear diff? New type of of gear diff or just taking advantage of the current hype? I'm hoping for new product.
It's probably the same old open gear diff. A new sealed gear diff if there will be one from Tamiya would be an option and wouldn't come in a kit. At least not in a non pro or non limited edition kit.
Sorry to burst your bubble Jim. Then again Tamiya could be reading this and just to spite me put in a new sealed diff.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #16637
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Great. Now you've made me cry. Hope was all I had. BAAAAAAH!!!
Old 02-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #16638
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony gray View Post
A new release Mini from Tamiya. M05 (LWB we assume) JC Works Mini Coupe.
Where can I get one....

That's such a cool looking shell.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #16639
Tech Rookie

Default Please help me..

Whether a suitable rubber tires i used to play on the carpet? I want the kind of tires are very grip.

Thx
Hidetaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #16640
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidetaki View Post
Whether a suitable rubber tires i used to play on the carpet? I want the kind of tires are very grip.

Thx
We use the Sweep pre-mounts at the local carpet championship. No complaints for grip. Always 25s on the rear, usually 33s with glued sidewalls on the front now.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #16641
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Source: http://ameblo.jp/afro3/page-1.html#main
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #16642
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
We use the Sweep pre-mounts at the local carpet championship. No complaints for grip. Always 25s on the rear, usually 33s with glued sidewalls on the front now.
Just got a set of sweeps 33s...for asphalt, do the 33s work well on the rear?
Old 02-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #16643
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony gray View Post
A new release Mini from Tamiya. M05 (LWB we assume) JC Works Mini Coupe.

I don't suppose there is a body kit part number yet on this
Old 02-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #16644
NT
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The entire kit is #58520

No idea on the body alone though.
NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #16645
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidetaki View Post

Thx
For 55D tyres - Express Radials (I think they are now re-branded as Yeah Racing)
Ansmann radials (if you can find them)

I used Express radials front and rear and they worked well.

For 60D tyres - Tamiya S-Grip and M-Grip. I used M-Grip front and rear and they worked well.

If your rules allow it you can use Tamiya rally block tyres, or Ride Mini pin, the sort that you might find on an offroad RC-18.
Tim K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:28 AM   #16646
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have asked this on the Australian forum of Miniís (being a Saturday afternoon not many people on the forum) and I am trying to avoid double post butÖ.is it also worth buying an M05 Aluminum Motor Plate (54184) and if so why?
1.21 GIGAWATTS!!!
KalEl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:17 AM   #16647
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The motor plate is good for the motor and offers some weight balance. For me worth it.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #16648
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Help Please!

Need some advice from the Mini GurusÖ

I have basically been running the same M03 for the last 3 Ĺ years. It has gone thru a chassis replacement and a diff rebuild about 1 Ĺ years ago due to it being T-boned hard during one race which broke my chassis. Either in club races or during our regional race series, itís generally a top 3 car. It needs barely any maintenance other than using the air compressor on it at the end of a race night. Over the last few months my car has been letting me down.

It handles great and I think it has the same top speed as everyone else but the biggest problem I have is that it has absolutely no punch getting out of the corners. I admit my diff is a bit loose but some fast guys running the FWDís donít have a tight diff either. This season, we have switched over to the Orca Brushless System so it canít be the motor issue as I had that issue when other guys were running faster silver cans than me and I was still able to beat them.

I run at the same club as Monkeyracing but Iím the complete opposite in terms of Maintenance as him. However the time has come for me to maybe do a complete rebuild as other cars are catching me within 10 feet out of the corners. So my questions is, can someone list all the changes I can make to help me get out of the corners faster? If someone is gonna recommend tightening the diff, what is the best / least maintenance way to tighten either a ball or gear diff without locking it as that is illegal for our club. Any advice is much appreciate.

Thanks,

Ivan
Old 02-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #16649
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtman71 View Post
Just got a set of sweeps 33s...for asphalt, do the 33s work well on the rear?
I have always run 25s on tarmac/asphalt on the rear. Your 33s may still be OK.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #16650
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCrusher View Post
Need some advice from the Mini GurusÖ

I have basically been running the same M03 for the last 3 Ĺ years. It has gone thru a chassis replacement and a diff rebuild about 1 Ĺ years ago due to it being T-boned hard during one race which broke my chassis. Either in club races or during our regional race series, itís generally a top 3 car. It needs barely any maintenance other than using the air compressor on it at the end of a race night. Over the last few months my car has been letting me down.

It handles great and I think it has the same top speed as everyone else but the biggest problem I have is that it has absolutely no punch getting out of the corners. I admit my diff is a bit loose but some fast guys running the FWDís donít have a tight diff either. This season, we have switched over to the Orca Brushless System so it canít be the motor issue as I had that issue when other guys were running faster silver cans than me and I was still able to beat them.

I run at the same club as Monkeyracing but Iím the complete opposite in terms of Maintenance as him. However the time has come for me to maybe do a complete rebuild as other cars are catching me within 10 feet out of the corners. So my questions is, can someone list all the changes I can make to help me get out of the corners faster? If someone is gonna recommend tightening the diff, what is the best / least maintenance way to tighten either a ball or gear diff without locking it as that is illegal for our club. Any advice is much appreciate.

Thanks,

Ivan
When you say loose do you mean slipping or free running?

Either way, if it is diffing out and wasting that acceleration you should be able to see/feel/hear it.

Depending on the diff you use there are lots of ways of getting a tight feel while retaining a diff action. That Tamiya TA03 ball diff is a lot tighter in its action than the M-05 diff, and is therefore my preferred ball diff if that is in your rules.

I've really started to like the 3Racing gear diff though. I run it with 5K oil (cue the posts about how that is much too light...) but it does not diff out even with a HPI Saturn 20 motor and 3Racing speed gears on carpet, which is quite a demanding combination. It also corners well and is stable, the balance has been spot on indoors and out for the past 6 months.

If it's not the diff, perhaps something mechanical is tight in your car, or perhaps something is setup wrong in your electrics.