Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

did you try the silver kit springs? i'd try that.

i'm not familiar with the gray springs.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

the gray and yellow are the only springs I have now. Going to order some today, Probably some reds, i think they were medium
Old 01-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
I've had a Mini for a couple years but just recently decided to take it seriously with the addition of a brushless 17.5 class in Tamiya's TCS racing series.

I chased different setups and the car has always just been ok so I figured it was up to the driver to make the most out of what it was.

The best advice I received was from Granpa and it was just a common sense thing but had been overlooked non the less.
He reminded me to get the car to the standard neutral setup, toe, camber, ride height etc. He said put it where you think it should be then put a fresh set of tires on it and just drive it for a pack.
This was to "scrub" in a pair of tires on the front that would then be moved to the rear and left there, reason being that the rear of the car would take forever to scrub in a pair.
As soon as I did this and had fresh (from the rear) tires on the front, the car seemed to have settled in and was dialed. It paid off with a TQ and win at the recent TCS race.
Craig, thanks for the kind words. Congrats on the win, by the way. Now that we have to run the Spec tires for TCS, properly "scrubbing" in tires is important to keep the car from going loose. I didn't get to see how the car ran during the race, but the week before, it was looking awesome during practice. I had to go home cause I was feeling pretty awful.

Glad to see you back in the Mini ranks again. Hope you'll be coming out regularly from now on.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dirtman71

I am running on asphalt and I think the front springs on the plastic tamiya oil filled shock are way to stiff. they are the gray ones(yellow on the rear). Hi speed corners I get a lot of wheel hop. even on the straights I get some hop out of the front. going to have to try some different springs.
Looks to me like you're running touring car wheels/tires? If that's the case you're going to struggle to get the car to work anyway...
Old 01-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Well I think I got the steering fixed. Did 2 things so not sure what made the most improvment. The front hubs were a bit tight in the c-hubs, they got freed. Put on a new Kimbro saver.

Went out to the track to give it a shot. It pulled really bad to the left, wait I didnt trim it after I put the new servo saver. Once I had it trimed it tracked good. I am happy.

I am running on asphalt and I think the front springs on the plastic tamiya oil filled shock are way to stiff. they are the gray ones(yellow on the rear). Hi speed corners I get a lot of wheel hop. even on the straights I get some hop out of the front. going to have to try some different springs.

Took a couple of pics at the track. Not a big fan of the Camero body but it does look cool going around the track

Hay mate what brand of body is your charger?

Cheers josh
Old 01-26-2012, 05:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Supa_18's
Hay mate what brand of body is your charger?

Cheers josh
Well its between '67-69 Camero.

Its made by Team Bluegroove. thats who i got the car from. Dont know much about them yet. they have a store on ebay. Its been closed for about 3weeks that I know of so it doesnt show any of there products and all my searches come back to there store thats closed.

I asked about the body and others and he just got back with me. the store will be open on Jan 30th. they are the only one that make this body. he said that they have about 20 differnent bodys to fit the m-05. Cant wait to see what else they have.

I think I got lucky getting this car. the store was closed, but this car was still floating around. when I went to go buy it Ebay said I couldnt cause the store was closed. Found a way anyways
Old 01-26-2012, 06:09 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tony gray
Looks to me like you're running touring car wheels/tires? If that's the case you're going to struggle to get the car to work anyway...
I know nothing of on road. They are Tamiya slicks, or sweeps or i dont knows. they are taller than the stock tires but still 26mm wide and 65mm tall. They are offset a bit more too. the car is like 173mm wide at front and rear. havent measured with the stock tires on.

thats why I am here to learn

So what is wrong with what I got? And what will work better? and why

I have heard many different things on the suspention. "'run it stiff" "run it soft" "you want the body to roll a little bit"

where is a good starting point, again I am a big "why?" guy, dont just give me a fish, teach me how to catch it.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Team Bluegroove.. they make so many good bodies..
Old 01-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

I know nothing of on road. They are Tamiya slicks, or sweeps or i dont knows. they are taller than the stock tires but still 26mm wide and 65mm tall. They are offset a bit more too. the car is like 173mm wide at front and rear. havent measured with the stock tires on.
The simple answer is that you have most definitely got touring car wheels on the Mini. From the look of the rims, probably Sweeps.

And at 65mm diameter that's about 10mm MORE than what I run on my Mini and indeed most people run. The maximum size you can run on a mini is 60mm which are commonly called 60D's.

Bigger diameter equals more ride height, more ride height = a mini that will traction roll and won't handle. If you want your car to go fast (as in around corners) then you need to get some 'normal' mini sized tyres/wheels. Which ones you get is more to do with whats available to you locally (or online).
Old 01-26-2012, 08:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tony gray
The simple answer is that you have most definitely got touring car wheels on the Mini. From the look of the rims, probably Sweeps.

And at 65mm diameter that's about 10mm MORE than what I run on my Mini and indeed most people run. The maximum size you can run on a mini is 60mm which are commonly called 60D's.

Bigger diameter equals more ride height, more ride height = a mini that will traction roll and won't handle. If you want your car to go fast (as in around corners) then you need to get some 'normal' mini sized tyres/wheels. Which ones you get is more to do with whats available to you locally (or online).
I have no idea of where to begin with on road tires. I know from some of the guys I have talked to at the track some run the stock tires but most seem to run sweeps. I am sure there are many sizes of sweeps, and different compounds.

So I need to find a 60mm sweeps, or something of that nature, and some stock rims? Can I run the offset? If you can find me some links that would be helpful.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

THESE on the front, and THESE on the rear work fine here in Aus, I assume they will over there as well.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Granpa, I hope you're feeling better and you can bet yer butt I'll be gettin my laps in at Tamiya as often as possible. Minis (and everything else for that matter) are so much fun when you can leave the motor in and have it run the same each time. I'm all in!
Now I've also got a new toy (that's already built )thanks to that Mini, all of the lucky TCS winners were given the new 1/12 scale RM 01 as prizes and it will have to share the motor and esc with the Mini unfortunately. That's a good problem to have tho.

By the way, that black Camaro is definitely a 69 and I want one.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:21 AM
Tech Regular

By the way, that black Camaro is definitely a 69 and I want one.
I would call it a '69, but the tail lights are not scale, or you just have a long one on each side, and there are no "gills" behind the doors. So I guess I would really have to call it a '67.

Either way I will probably call it a '69 cause everybody is familiar with it, even though there are only minor differences between all 3.

Just some info if you were looking for scale. I dont care what year it is....its cool going around the track...and the TC wheels make the look complete.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I would call it a '69, but the tail lights are not scale, or you just have a long one on each side, and there are no "gills" behind the doors. So I guess I would really have to call it a '67.

Either way I will probably call it a '69 cause everybody is familiar with it, even though there are only minor differences between all 3.

Just some info if you were looking for scale. I dont care what year it is....its cool going around the track...and the TC wheels make the look complete.
The big give aways the are the ridge down the body line and the non rounded wheelwells. 67 and 68 are round and the side of the car is smooth.
Most of the RC bodies I've seen are 67-68 types, HPI's VTA body for instance.
I want one like yours, lookin like a 69 to me man, may even be a Z28 but so many are clones now a days.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Tech Regular

The big give aways the are the ridge down the body line and the non rounded wheelwells. 67 and 68 are round and the side of the car is smooth.
Most of the RC bodies I've seen are 67-68 types, HPI's VTA body for instance.
I want one like yours, lookin like a 69 to me man, may even be a Z28 but so many are clones now a days.
Now that i think about it your right, the 67 and 68 have rounded wheel wells....so its 69 without the "gills"
I agree this is a nice looking body. I dont think I will race it though, want a 510 210mm or a 240z...saw a 280z and didnt like the way it looked on the track. I might not like the 240. A sporty compact would be nice too, would like to find a 350z.

Cant wait for Team Bluegroove to open back up and see what they got

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.