R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #16306
Tech Adept

how many of you guys that run spec 5 run with the extra metal motor heat sink and aluminum rear suspension mount....these 2 pc's seem to add a ton of weight
hotrod306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #16307
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Who says a little extra weight is bad anyway?....
tony gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #16308
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

+1. Weights can make the car handle better. Nways, are you guys sold on the gear diffs? I bought a unit for myself, ended up selling it coz I had no idea regarding the requirement for 10x15x4 bearings Technically, they should be more consistent.

But do they perform much better? Still have my HEAVY TA02 ball diff installed. I have sway bars installed on both ends of the car, but seems like there's so much play (especially the rear), I doubt they're activated at all. Any inputs?

Oh, am seriously considering the Sabre Mini FD too...craving for some outlaw action You guys dictate the choice of bodyshells?

Last edited by cheapskate.brok; 12-19-2011 at 08:31 PM.
cheapskate.brok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #16309
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod306 View Post
how many of you guys that run spec 5 run with the extra metal motor heat sink and aluminum rear suspension mount....these 2 pc's seem to add a ton of weight

i run the extra toe block on the rear, as for the heatsink nope. as it would look weird without a transponder mounted on it, and didnt feel like running wires all the way down the front
On road - Race Opt - Team Powers
I)arkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:46 PM   #16310
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeFan123 View Post
Is my asking price reasonable for this considering what I have paid for all of it? Considering that it is all lightly used and pretty brand new?

***ARTR Loaded Tamiya Mini M-03 w/ Extras***

Thanks for all of your guyses input.
Anyone have any input?
Old 12-20-2011, 06:12 AM   #16311
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

it's too high my friend.
original cost of the car and parts are of no matter.
used is used as they say.

1/2 of the initial investment will be the most you can expect to get, more likely less.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #16312
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr RCTech View Post
Bob,

Where can I find a copy of the rules you guys run?
The rules are on the Tamiya USA website under TCS racing. I also run at a couple of other places and the TCS rules have been pretty much adopted. The most common variation is to allow any Mini sized rim and tire.

You'll see on close examination of the rules, why we can get isolated from many places due to the restrictiveness of the rules. Personally, I like them for the most part, primarily cause it keeps costs down especially for tires.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #16313
Tech Rookie

Default m05 owner need help

hye all...im alif...im a noobie in ep.may i ask you all something
i recently bought m05 from my friend....after i play about 2 pax of batteries...i was notified something was wrong...when i turn the car to the left...the car start jerking and the steering then return to its normal position...then i accidentally pull out the power source from the receiver...and then both the esc and the receiver start blinking and i cant drive my car since...is it the problem of my esc or my receiver...i already bind the receiver with the remote twice...the receiver not blinking any more...but the esc is still blinking...fyi im using tamiya 104bk esc...can someone help me with my problem?thank you
alepzuhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #16314
Tech Adept

Anyone know the part number for the wing that fits the Tamiya Suzuki Swift shell. Seems the body is available on its own but cant find the part no of the wing parts.

Anyone help me out??
Bosscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #16315
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Both 51236 and 49420 bodysets are available. First one is regular weight and second one is light weight.

If you only need th wing, try part number 9005802
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #16316
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
The Miata shell is legal for TCS, as are the new RX7 and Alpine shells. In Tamiya's words

I really doubt tat they'd have any problem with using any Tamiya shell on any Tamiya car. They used to have a rule regarding body matching which wheels were driven, but they started releasing RWD type bodies on FWD platforms all on their own. Put an end to that rule.

Jim
Thanks
180 Raceway/ Johns Mobile Raceway/The Track
chef88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #16317
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
The rules are on the Tamiya USA website under TCS racing. I also run at a couple of other places and the TCS rules have been pretty much adopted. The most common variation is to allow any Mini sized rim and tire.

You'll see on close examination of the rules, why we can get isolated from many places due to the restrictiveness of the rules. Personally, I like them for the most part, primarily cause it keeps costs down especially for tires.
Thank you Granpa.

After reviewing the rules on the Tamiya USA website for the most part are good for keeping cost down.
I could see where this would be good as a beginners class.

The motor rpm rule is a bit silly.
Mr RCTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #16318
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapskate.brok View Post
+1. Weights can make the car handle better.

But do they perform much better? Still have my HEAVY TA02 ball diff installed. I have sway bars installed on both ends of the car, but seems like there's so much play (especially the rear), I doubt they're activated at all. Any inputs?

Weight can make the vehicle handle better as long as the static BALANCE is correct.
Front wheel drive vehicles usually start out at a 60% front and 40% rear weight bias.

Sway bars work on vehicles with a high center of gravity height.

I avoid using sway bars if possible as long as the minimum ride height rule
is not too high.

As far as rotating vehicle mass, its better to loose as much as you can.
For every one gram of rotating vehicle of mass is the same as loosing 4 grams of dead chassis weight.
Yes.. 4 to 1 ratio and every little bit counts.
Mr RCTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:45 PM   #16319
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr RCTech View Post
Thank you Granpa.

After reviewing the rules on the Tamiya USA website for the most part are good for keeping cost down.
I could see where this would be good as a beginners class.

The motor rpm rule is a bit silly.
I both agree and disagree with you on your comments. Yes, the rules do keep the costs down and are to "level" the playing field. And do encourage intermediate level racers to participate. If you will note there is a class specifically for beginners. Mini, however, is populated by many veteran racers who have been racing for many years and is, perhaps, the most competitive class. I've raced Minis at the USA TCS series for 5 or 6 years and am a relative newcomer. Making the A Main, at some of even the Regional qualifiers, is tough.

One of the rules I hated initially was the Spec tire rule, but it forced us to really learn how to set up a car. Prior to that, we could cover up set up errors with different tires and inserts. Real Formula 1 racing uses a spec tire and it really exposes badly set up cars.

Actually, the motor rpm limit is one of the better rules. It was instituted due to a situation that existed in this country where a handful of racers just dominated cause they knew how to build extremely fast Silvercan motors. I'm unaware of what the situation is like where you race, but when you have a motor turning 5 to 10 thousand more rpm than the competition, it's not a race, but a joke.

We all whine and bitch about the rules, but in total, Tamiya here in the USA has done a good job over the years. Some years have been better than others.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:59 PM   #16320
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
Glad you guys have had good luck with the 3 Racing universals. I was afraid to try them because all my bad experiences with their products in the past. They are certainly cheap enough.

Finished a full day of testing with only one minor glitch which was easily correctable and was due to a misimpression of mine and was not the fault of the R1 Wurks CVD unit. The units performed beautifully all day and were perfect at the end of the day. I loved the fact there was no play in the unit and did not have to use any axle shims. I was also able to add a 1mm spacer to space out the wheel and still had full contact in the nylon on the wheel retainer nut.

So far, all the local Mini racers here at the Tamiya USA track have been impressed. I was given the units to test at their urging. What they said was " Have Granpa test them. If anyone can break them, he can". One of our local Mini gurus was convinced after seeing what I put the units thru today.
Thanks for testing the cvds Grandpa. Im glad all you guys loved them.

here's some pictures of the prototype cvd's that Grandpa was testing. I also did a weight comparison, we shaved 5.68 grams from the Tamiya CVD's.Thats 35% less rotating mass.

I also attached a pic of the redesigned pin "locking pin"

R1WURKS LIGHTWEIGHT SPRING STEEL CVD'S

STOCK TAMIYA CVD'S

R1WURKS LIGHTWEIGHT SPRING STEEL CVD'S

R1WURKS LOCKING PIN
R1wurks is offline   Reply With Quote