Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 08-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nytryder
regarding the 3racing oilfilled gear diff...is there a model # for it that I can look up? Also, is it sealed (unlike the stock diff)?
i basically 'smeared' some 100k oil over the stock gear diffs and I really like the way they feel now! No leaks because they're just slightly coated. I'm looking forward to try 500k next
Old 08-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cheapskate.brok
i basically 'smeared' some 100k oil over the stock gear diffs and I really like the way they feel now! No leaks because they're just slightly coated. I'm looking forward to try 500k next
I tried 200k and it flung out pretty quick. Hope 500k lasts longer for you.

I dealt with similar fluid leaking issues on my slash 2wd diff. Ended up using a small spring washer inside. Tightened the cover down till it got the resistance I wanted. Been holding up for a couple months now. Any body try something like this in the stock mini diff?
Old 08-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

A simple solution is to add a few extra of the large shims that fit behind the large gear in the diff. Put a little of the tamiya AW grease on the shims and a little on the gears and close it up. The tighter the screws the tighter the diff.

It is quite effective and lasts quite a while
Old 08-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cannon
A simple solution is to add a few extra of the large shims that fit behind the large gear in the diff. Put a little of the tamiya AW grease on the shims and a little on the gears and close it up. The tighter the screws the tighter the diff.

It is quite effective and lasts quite a while

When you say lasts quite a while, what wears or needs to be fixed/adjusted?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nytryder
When you say lasts quite a while, what wears or needs to be fixed/adjusted?
In the past I found the diff felt a bit strange. I pulled it a apart and it was just the grease that had gone off. I simply cleaned it and regreased and all was ok
Old 08-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:35 AM
Tech Initiate

thanks everyone on the feed back on the body. I'm looking at getting a couple for my unused racing mini's for my kids to use, sounds like they would not be best for racing

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
AjRacing get back to topic asap !!! Answer me this mate , did you ever win a race with the gear diff ? What gear ratios are available ?
Bert to answer your question, yes. Last race season I ran was with the M-03L and managed to finish the championship in third place with a couple of wins as well. About half way through the championship I did changed the standard diff to a TA03 ball diff. I have not changed the ratio in any way.

Seems to be working really well for me so I'm going to stick with it.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Alright, Tim, what did she end up getting for you? Or do I have to wait until racing next Saturday?
Jim I got nothing RC related unfortunately. I got a didgeridoo, a boomerang, and a bullroarer. Neat things but not as cool as a new mini body.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

Alrighty then !
Old 08-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Hiya All

Just want to say hi and say thanks to everyone who has put a comment in this topic. It is a great resource with loads of useful and some amusing ones to.

I only started racing RC cars about 3 months ago. I currently run an m03 with a black can as per club rules. Having trouble with straight line speeds currently and i have stripped it and toyed with different methods and theory's as per this thread and my own clubs forum. To be honest the error is probably with the driver more than the car but i do love to tinker with this car. On a side note i should hopefully be receiving my m05 this week. My m03 was RTR so I missed out on all the experiences of building a car, so looking forward to getting this one which has the Datsun 280zx shell and a new black can motor(just to make sure my other motor is not a dud).

Anyway thanks all for making a really informative location for beginner mini racers
Old 08-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Smallshinyant
Just want to say hi and say thanks to everyone who has put a comment in this topic. It is a great resource with loads of useful and some amusing ones to.

I only started racing RC cars about 3 months ago. I currently run an m03 with a black can as per club rules. Having trouble with straight line speeds currently and i have stripped it and toyed with different methods and theory's as per this thread and my own clubs forum. To be honest the error is probably with the driver more than the car but i do love to tinker with this car. On a side note i should hopefully be receiving my m05 this week. My m03 was RTR so I missed out on all the experiences of building a car, so looking forward to getting this one which has the Datsun 280zx shell and a new black can motor(just to make sure my other motor is not a dud).

Anyway thanks all for making a really informative location for beginner mini racers
Two reasons for lack of straight line speeds. One is that you have a bum motor. The second is that you've never cleaned the comm. Suggest you go to the Silvercan thread in this forum and find the proper care of these Mabuchi based motors.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation Silvercan Mania!

Originally Posted by Granpa
Two reasons for lack of straight line speeds. One is that you have a bum motor. The second is that you've never cleaned the comm. Suggest you go to the Silvercan thread in this forum and find the proper care of these Mabuchi based motors.

Grandpa,
When your right , your right. If your comm is not a shiney copper color then your cheating yourself out of usable power. That's why I'm not as fast as you because I'm too lazy to clean the motor!
Just my 2$
P.S.
Bob,
I got a something for you and a couple of our mini noteables might like on Saturday!
You won't be disappointed!
Old 08-11-2011, 02:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Smallshinyant
Having trouble with straight line speeds currently, My m03 was RTR so I missed out on all the experiences of building a car,
If it's RTR, then it's possible you're running with only plastic bearings, or half plastic/half metal. Full metal bearings properly flushed out and lightly oiled will give you a hint more speed as well.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the ideas folks. The Black can motor is a closed motor so i cannot take it apart to maintain.

You are right it did have the plastic bits but they have all been replaced with the fancy bearings a few races ago. If it was not for the fact that my local track has such a long straight on most of it layouts this would not be an issue as through the twisty bits I can make a gain on most of the cars in the pack, it just when we hit top speed i appear to max out before a lot of the others. Does I am currently running NiMh batteries(LiPo's on order) i presume that will not effect the top speed?
Old 08-11-2011, 06:41 AM
Tech Regular

Are you using the standard 20T pinion? is everyone else?

The batteries could affect the speed. The last batch of nimh that I used were pretty bad compared to a lipo, especially if charged the night before.

Have you got access to a dyno? get someone to dyno it for you. The black can motors were all over the place, some were pulling 19,000 out of the box, and others up to 23,000, that will make a huge difference down the straight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.