R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #15421
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,005
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytryder View Post
regarding the 3racing oilfilled gear diff...is there a model # for it that I can look up? Also, is it sealed (unlike the stock diff)?
i basically 'smeared' some 100k oil over the stock gear diffs and I really like the way they feel now! No leaks because they're just slightly coated. I'm looking forward to try 500k next
cheapskate.brok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #15422
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 313
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapskate.brok View Post
i basically 'smeared' some 100k oil over the stock gear diffs and I really like the way they feel now! No leaks because they're just slightly coated. I'm looking forward to try 500k next
I tried 200k and it flung out pretty quick. Hope 500k lasts longer for you.

I dealt with similar fluid leaking issues on my slash 2wd diff. Ended up using a small spring washer inside. Tightened the cover down till it got the resistance I wanted. Been holding up for a couple months now. Any body try something like this in the stock mini diff?
nytryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #15423
Tech Champion
 
cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: A total distraction
Posts: 7,266
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

A simple solution is to add a few extra of the large shims that fit behind the large gear in the diff. Put a little of the tamiya AW grease on the shims and a little on the gears and close it up. The tighter the screws the tighter the diff.

It is quite effective and lasts quite a while
__________________
www.feralbatteries.com ........... new website
cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #15424
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 313
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
A simple solution is to add a few extra of the large shims that fit behind the large gear in the diff. Put a little of the tamiya AW grease on the shims and a little on the gears and close it up. The tighter the screws the tighter the diff.

It is quite effective and lasts quite a while


When you say lasts quite a while, what wears or needs to be fixed/adjusted?
nytryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:26 PM   #15425
Tech Champion
 
cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: A total distraction
Posts: 7,266
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytryder View Post
When you say lasts quite a while, what wears or needs to be fixed/adjusted?
In the past I found the diff felt a bit strange. I pulled it a apart and it was just the grease that had gone off. I simply cleaned it and regreased and all was ok
__________________
www.feralbatteries.com ........... new website
cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #15426
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 313
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
nytryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:35 AM   #15427
Tech Initiate
 
A J Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 27
Default

thanks everyone on the feed back on the body. I'm looking at getting a couple for my unused racing mini's for my kids to use, sounds like they would not be best for racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
AjRacing get back to topic asap !!! Answer me this mate , did you ever win a race with the gear diff ? What gear ratios are available ?
Bert to answer your question, yes. Last race season I ran was with the M-03L and managed to finish the championship in third place with a couple of wins as well. About half way through the championship I did changed the standard diff to a TA03 ball diff. I have not changed the ratio in any way.

Seems to be working really well for me so I'm going to stick with it.
__________________
AJRacing

'Eat, Sleep, Race'
A J Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:15 AM   #15428
Tech Elite
 
Timbulb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hovering over your mom's fishtank.
Posts: 2,013
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
Alright, Tim, what did she end up getting for you? Or do I have to wait until racing next Saturday?
Jim I got nothing RC related unfortunately. I got a didgeridoo, a boomerang, and a bullroarer. Neat things but not as cool as a new mini body.
Timbulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #15429
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,649
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

Alrighty then !
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #15430
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7
Default Hiya All

Just want to say hi and say thanks to everyone who has put a comment in this topic. It is a great resource with loads of useful and some amusing ones to.

I only started racing RC cars about 3 months ago. I currently run an m03 with a black can as per club rules. Having trouble with straight line speeds currently and i have stripped it and toyed with different methods and theory's as per this thread and my own clubs forum. To be honest the error is probably with the driver more than the car but i do love to tinker with this car. On a side note i should hopefully be receiving my m05 this week. My m03 was RTR so I missed out on all the experiences of building a car, so looking forward to getting this one which has the Datsun 280zx shell and a new black can motor(just to make sure my other motor is not a dud).

Anyway thanks all for making a really informative location for beginner mini racers
Smallshinyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #15431
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallshinyant View Post
Just want to say hi and say thanks to everyone who has put a comment in this topic. It is a great resource with loads of useful and some amusing ones to.

I only started racing RC cars about 3 months ago. I currently run an m03 with a black can as per club rules. Having trouble with straight line speeds currently and i have stripped it and toyed with different methods and theory's as per this thread and my own clubs forum. To be honest the error is probably with the driver more than the car but i do love to tinker with this car. On a side note i should hopefully be receiving my m05 this week. My m03 was RTR so I missed out on all the experiences of building a car, so looking forward to getting this one which has the Datsun 280zx shell and a new black can motor(just to make sure my other motor is not a dud).

Anyway thanks all for making a really informative location for beginner mini racers
Two reasons for lack of straight line speeds. One is that you have a bum motor. The second is that you've never cleaned the comm. Suggest you go to the Silvercan thread in this forum and find the proper care of these Mabuchi based motors.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #15432
Tech Master
 
maxepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aliso Viejo, Calif.
Posts: 1,600
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation Silvercan Mania!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
Two reasons for lack of straight line speeds. One is that you have a bum motor. The second is that you've never cleaned the comm. Suggest you go to the Silvercan thread in this forum and find the proper care of these Mabuchi based motors.

Grandpa,
When your right , your right. If your comm is not a shiney copper color then your cheating yourself out of usable power. That's why I'm not as fast as you because I'm too lazy to clean the motor!
Just my 2$
P.S.
Bob,
I got a something for you and a couple of our mini noteables might like on Saturday!
You won't be disappointed!
__________________
Tamiya Track Local. 10,000 Watts of power! ($5 donations for gas appreciated)
Proud Father of GT-1 Past Champion!"Hey, I got to go to Japan too!
FF03,TA-05V2 ,EXO-6,TA-07,TRF419,EVO-6
"Tamiya Racer to Infinity and Beyond!"
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:41 AM   #15433
Tech Regular
 
Tim K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallshinyant View Post
Having trouble with straight line speeds currently, My m03 was RTR so I missed out on all the experiences of building a car,
If it's RTR, then it's possible you're running with only plastic bearings, or half plastic/half metal. Full metal bearings properly flushed out and lightly oiled will give you a hint more speed as well.
Tim K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:13 AM   #15434
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7
Default

Thanks for the ideas folks. The Black can motor is a closed motor so i cannot take it apart to maintain.

You are right it did have the plastic bits but they have all been replaced with the fancy bearings a few races ago. If it was not for the fact that my local track has such a long straight on most of it layouts this would not be an issue as through the twisty bits I can make a gain on most of the cars in the pack, it just when we hit top speed i appear to max out before a lot of the others. Does I am currently running NiMh batteries(LiPo's on order) i presume that will not effect the top speed?
Smallshinyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:41 AM   #15435
Tech Regular
 
Tim K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 287
Default

Are you using the standard 20T pinion? is everyone else?

The batteries could affect the speed. The last batch of nimh that I used were pretty bad compared to a lipo, especially if charged the night before.

Have you got access to a dyno? get someone to dyno it for you. The black can motors were all over the place, some were pulling 19,000 out of the box, and others up to 23,000, that will make a huge difference down the straight.
Tim K is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya Mini Cooper M-03L Hop-ups mini71 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 4 05-04-2016 11:07 AM
Tamiya Mini Cooper mach51 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 10 09-02-2011 12:08 AM
FS:TAMIYA Mini Cooper, TA 04S rthmotorsports R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 10-20-2007 09:37 PM
Tamiya 415 MSX and M03 Mini Cooper F/S Racer X79 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 12-22-2006 07:38 AM
Tamiya M01,02,03, or 04 Mini Cooper ccugolf.com R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 2 12-05-2004 08:55 PM


Tags
m03, m03r ules, m05, mini, tamiya


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:08 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0