R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-09-2011, 06:41 AM   #15406
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy622 View Post
Here are some pics of the new proline protoform panel wagon body painted up. I just have it sitting on my M05.

Attachment 789987

Attachment 789998

Attachment 790000
OK back to Mini talk.....Fluffy622 or anyone else I would love to hear more about this new body.

I have read allot of different things... some say its to long others say its good and some have even told me that the Mini wheels don't really fit right as the body is more designed for full scale wheels.

Any thoughts?

'Eat, Sleep, Race'
A J Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:43 AM   #15407
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My wife just got back from Australia. While there she went to a lot of different Hobbyshops trying to find me a body and some other parts for my mini that might not be available in Canada. She said of the 6 shops she visited 5 of them were staffed by ignorant rude pricks who apparently had no interest in selling anything. It's really too bad, she was prepared to spend a lot of money.
Timbulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:48 AM   #15408
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Timbulb,

Yep alot of the hobby shops down here have no interest in the racing hobby they just want to sell stuff to the street basher.

We are lucky to have guys like http://www.feralbatteries.com/ and http://www.m-chassis.com/ to service our mini needs.

Im lucky that my two local shops are run by racers so they are more than happy to look after us. Where was your wife?? Need to stay away from those shops.
barts71m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:52 AM   #15409
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

AjRacing get back to topic asap !!! Answer me this mate , did you ever win a race with the gear diff ? What gear ratios are available ?
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:55 AM   #15410
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbulb View Post
My wife just got back from Australia. While there she went to a lot of different Hobbyshops trying to find me a body and some other parts for my mini that might not be available in Canada. She said of the 6 shops she visited 5 of them were staffed by ignorant rude pricks who apparently had no interest in selling anything. It's really too bad, she was prepared to spend a lot of money.
Where in Oz did she go?

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:00 AM   #15411
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Racing View Post
OK back to Mini talk.....Fluffy622 or anyone else I would love to hear more about this new body.

I have read allot of different things... some say its to long others say its good and some have even told me that the Mini wheels don't really fit right as the body is more designed for full scale wheels.

Any thoughts?
Sorry, it's ugly and I don't care how functional it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbulb View Post
man, I feel sorry for you both. However any trips I make to the LHS I'm usually alone or with fellow hobbyists, kinda expecting less than perfect hospitality, always haha.

On another note, I do wish we'd just race those XB RTRs, can't get any fairer than that!
cheapskate.brok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:02 AM   #15412
Tech Champion

Protoform bombed on that body ! It is neither pretty nor fast ! It gets killed on our track , and feels out of place .Just an addition to their lineup to say they have one available !!!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #15413
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Racing View Post

Any thoughts?
Hey A J!

The body is a little to long for the car itself. I raced it last week and my lap times were identical to my lap times with my mini shell on. One of my main reasons for buying the panel wagon body is because I really like old muscle car style vehicles and i wanted a body that would fit the medium wheel base of 225mm. You can kind of tell from my crappy phone pics.....lol.....that the mini wheels are a little small for the wheel wells. I recently put on an old set of touring car tires and it fits much better. I also sent an e-mail to proline protoform telling them of my troubles.....haven't heard anything back yet. With all of that being said, I probably wouldn't buy the body again. It looks cool but there are just to many things wrong with it.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask anymore questions.
Fluffy622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #15414
Tech Champion

The protoform body also looks heavy compared to the 210mm bodies out there !
Old 08-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #15415
Tech Elite

lets just hope they have more than one body to choose from, and I'd like them lightweight please
cheapskate.brok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #15416
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Protoform bombed on that body ! It is neither pretty nor fast ! It gets killed on our track , and feels out of place .Just an addition to their lineup to say they have one available !!!
Where in NYC do you race M-Chassis?
Old 08-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #15417
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Alright, Tim, what did she end up getting for you? Or do I have to wait until racing next Saturday?
Old 08-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #15418
Tech Elite

bertrandsv87,

In response to the 3Racing oil gear diff:

Yes they have been used by racers to win events. NSW State Titles, ACT State Titles. The first four qualifying places in the NSW State Titles had oil gear diffs fitted. So yes they do work.

Gear diff ratio is the same as a normal mini. It just replaces the original bevel gear diff or the TAO3/MO5 ball diff. The Tamiya standard intermediatry gear and spur gear are used.

I really think you should read some of the other posts that have been posted fully, as there is alot of information regarding mini setup. I am aware that not all setups will work in various countries due to the different rules and surfaces we race on. However you never know, you might learn something that might assist with your car setup.

The oil gear diff is already big news here in Australia and in the Asia market.

If you really want to see what can be done and is done to mini's for racing, then go and google Ride Cup Thailand. Now that is highly modified mini racing with a weight limit of 1200 gms, speed gear sets and chopped chassis's.

Happy Racing,

Calvin.

BTW,
caltek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #15419
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

regarding the 3racing oilfilled gear diff...is there a model # for it that I can look up? Also, is it sealed (unlike the stock diff)?
nytryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #15420
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytryder View Post
regarding the 3racing oilfilled gear diff...is there a model # for it that I can look up? Also, is it sealed (unlike the stock diff)?
Try this
http://www.feralbatteries.com/3-Raci...M05_p_246.html
barts71m is offline   Reply With Quote