R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-09-2011, 01:18 AM   #15391
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Tight TAMIYA ball diff with grease is the only way to go if you want a FAIR RACE ! You can choose ceramic balls or different types of grease, but that's it..........
Interesting that earlier you said you used Losi parts in your Mini ... so does that mean you were cheating ?

As for what we race down under? Basicaly our Minis are kit plus Tamiya (or aftermarket) option parts. We changed the rules regarding the diffs as some diffs were so tight that they were effectively spools so in order to reduce disputes about what was a diff or a spool we allowed any aftermarket diff. Now considering that a lot of these aftermarket diffs are cheapere than the equivalent tamiya parts I cant see the issue
Old 08-09-2011, 01:40 AM   #15392
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
Troll much, Bert? Wow.

Anyhoo, I took the gear diff apart and cleaned the stock maple syrup out of it. While tearing it down, I took note of just how much friction the shims provide on their own, with just a thin film of oil on them. LOTS.

I refilled with a 35wt shock oil (425cst) and found it was still quite sticky, so I chucked it up in my drill, held the other side in place and spun it at 500rpm for a few minutes. Afetr that the action seemed about right, so I've installed it in my M-06 and it feels about right when holding one wheel and turning the other.

We'll see how it goes on the track soon.

Jim
I would deff be intersted in your results after testing mate.
Monkeys punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:45 AM   #15393
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Angry

Stop labeling and bringing people down to your level ! Modifications in any class need to be controlled or else cheaters will make it impossible for everybody else ! Lcd drives, ceramic bearings and balls are easy acceptable upgrades that solve friction and weight issues in all rc classes . Changing the type of diff used is a major change in the tamiya only mini class, and will make it unfair to the original tamiya diff users. Imagine now that someone comes up with a torsen diff or a slipper clutch type diff or a viscous diff system, then what ??? What about a spool or slipper spool or a oneway ? Why not a Limited slip diff ? Back then, Tcs rules made sure that more or less driver skill made the difference, but now I am not so sure !!!! If it is allowed to run a non tamiya gear diff, then get ready for the rest of the aforementioned drive systems to make their way into the mix ! God help you then, you might never see the Emain !!!!!!
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:55 AM   #15394
Tech Champion

Lcd's just stops unwanted vibrations compared to U joints and CVD's ! Cvd's and U joints were a mistake in design that the lcd drive corrected ! Running Lcd drives or ecs drives is definitely not cheating, but a gear diff or a spool is !!!!
Old 08-09-2011, 02:01 AM   #15395
Tech Adept

Bert can you just stop rambling on about podium finishes and final positions. We are just trying to share information and findings about getting the things working in the cars and not chasing 1st place. The simple fact is for me I actually was faster before I used the new diff and have dropped position in testing. I don't care and nor should you so get a life and bug another thread if you want a argument.

Oh and I am from the UK so you couldn't be more wrong on that one.
Monkeys punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:02 AM   #15396
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeys punk View Post
I would deff be intersted in your results after testing mate.
Absolutely. May be a week or two, but the results will be posted.

Quote:
Stop labeling people...
Sorry. Was it the bit where I mentioned you're better than this and your advice is sometimes quite sound? Look, most of us know that you can run pretty much any diff you want and unless you're a good driver, you've got no chance. There are people I race with running totally stock, except for bearings (not ceramics, though) and these guys win consistently because they're truly good drivers. I know I'm not going to win by switching to this gear diff and it's likely no one else will will based solely on this single part.

The thing you're overlooking is that some of us just like having cool new parts to play with and if we're very lucky, they'll make the car easier or more fun to drive. My club controls motor, gearing and chassis. Swap out anything else you want, because we all know if you can't drive you won't win anyway. EG: My car was damned fast this past weekend, but I'm not the greatest driver, so I placed 5th or 6th or something. I don't know and frankly, I don't care.

Let the other kids play in their sandbox the way they want to and you play with your friends in your sandbox the way you want to.

Jim
Old 08-09-2011, 02:15 AM   #15397
Tech Champion

It is a free world in New York where I live, and I will answer any and all threads I wish, even if the british imperialist don't want me to !!! By the way , I here the uncivilized racist british students are smashing London to pieces; how many windows did you smash ! A gear diff won't help you get away from your evil ways......
Old 08-09-2011, 02:52 AM   #15398
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Sydewynder,

Yes that is right. The Cross on the front with the Rides on rear did not work on the MO6, as you have to much steering. By placing the Cross onto the rear and the Rides up front, problem solved.

bertrandsv87,

The 3Racing oil gear diff is only $26 compared to a Tamiya TAO3 or MO5 ball diff which are way more expensive.

The other factor is previously here in Australia we had mini diff rules that could be mis interpreted so what one person considers tight was said to be loose by another and caused much friction at alrge events.(Some may remember this at TCS events in the long ago past). By opening up this rule we have people running mini with a diff they are happy with. There are people who still use the standard gera diff with an extra 2 or 3 shims each side, others that fill them with oil and seal them up, others that use ceramic balls etc. These all are legal for us as is spools in a mini. Those using a spool in a mini have found them to be slower on most tracks as they pushto much when cornering and the lose of corner speed. On a large track they may work, however on most tight technical tracks they are a distinct disadvantage.

On another note, I do not see how ceramic bearings are cheap, when most can not afford them.

We made our mini class better by using the BL sytems which brought equality back to our mini class. As I have said before the top drivers will always be at the front, so what diff they use will not really impinge on them.

We do not run to TCS rules as we have no TCS in Australia, so it is a mute point for us.

As Jim as said, we all race in different countries with differing rules under different sanctioning bodies.

Anyway, enjoy your racing.

Calvin.

Last edited by caltek1; 08-09-2011 at 03:07 AM.
caltek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:02 AM   #15399
Tech Initiate

Quote:
It is a free world in New York where I live, and I will answer any and all threads I wish, even if the british imperialist don't want me to !!! By the way , I here the uncivilized racist british students are smashing London to pieces; how many windows did you smash ! A gear diff won't help you get away from your evil ways......
I may have missed something but is this a Joke???

I have sent an e-mail to the Mod as I believe comments like this should not live in this forum any where.

'Eat, Sleep, Race'
A J Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:05 AM   #15400
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Racing View Post
I may have missed something but is this a Joke???

I have sent an e-mail to the Mod as I believe comments like this should not live in this forum any where.
+1
On road - Race Opt - Team Powers
I)arkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:24 AM   #15401
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

The 600 000wt diff oil is made by Mumeisha.

bertrandsv87,

I think your joke is in bad taste.

Just my thoughts.

Calvin.

Last edited by caltek1; 08-09-2011 at 04:49 AM.
caltek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:26 AM   #15402
Tech Champion

All I stated were facts that are unfortunately happening in London today , and are only meant to sarcastically ask a fellow racer living over there if he was negatively affected by the events in the UK ....lol....If you can't take a joke, then write on another forum !!! No need to snitch to the moderator at every comment: I got call many names here, and I did not name call anybody here ...Cool off guys......
Old 08-09-2011, 05:18 AM   #15403
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to flat4

Quote:
All I stated were facts that are unfortunately happening in London today , and are only meant to sarcastically ask a fellow racer living over there if he was negatively affected by the events in the UK ....lol....If you can't take a joke, then write on another forum !!! No need to snitch to the moderator at every comment: I got call many names here, and I did not name call anybody here ...Cool off guys......
odd thing, most jokes are either funny or have a "lol, haha, hehe, ect...". A might help it be seen as a joke aswell
Old 08-09-2011, 06:03 AM   #15404
Tech Champion

I did not see these(lol...ahah..etc) around when they called me a clown + muppit etc... Maybe they were not joking, but I was ! It's funny how all you guys lineup to suck up to each other !!!! They passed a new marriage law in Ny, I am convinced they already had a similar law in the Uk and Australia , judging by you guys attitudes !
Old 08-09-2011, 06:27 AM   #15405
Tech Initiate

Quote:
I did not see these(lol...ahah..etc) around when they called me a clown + muppit etc... Maybe they were not joking, but I was ! It's funny how all you guys lineup to suck up to each other !!!! They passed a new marriage law in Ny, I am convinced they already had a similar law in the Uk and Australia , judging by you guys attitudes !
I think you better re-read this before you continue posting. Or let me guess.... you where just joking??

http://www.internetbrands.com/ib/ter...et&hasRSS=true

'Eat, Sleep, Race'
A J Racing is offline   Reply With Quote