R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #15121
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gleeman View Post
Great review Tony, I too love the symmetry of design and engineering on this car.
Now why couldn't something like this car be legalised to mix it up a bit and to add some competition? Yes we could be opening up a can of worms, but gee talk about politics there's always the red tape to get around and it spoils it every time.

Here in Australia we have our 1:1 V8 Super Cars getting around and its Ford vs Holden(Chev), now just imagine all Fords or just all Holdens .............boring

Time for a change or a review on introducing some competition I reckon
Frankly, not a wise thing to do unless you have enough to run a separate class. It's not a political thing, but an economic one. If this car is so much better than what you're running now, then to be competitive----guess what. And in several months----guess what. We saw this scenario repeated many times with the TCs

Also, I've never found "Mini" racing boring cause we were running the same chassis from the same manufacturer. What the appeal of Mini racing is that it's affordable and very competitive and the "fast" guys could really set up their chassis and could really drive.

Now, for those of you "bored" with Mini racing as it's structured in Australia, you guys are the envy of many parts of the world. I wouldn't change much and certainly wouldn't make a radical change that could conceivably upset what you've got going.

For those who may be "bored" cause they are winning every race by large margins, help your fellow racers with driving and set up tips so they can give you a race. For those who are getting "bored" cause you're getting whacked every week, ask some of the faster guys to give you a hand. Most Mini racers that I've met are pretty decent people and will usually help out.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #15122
Tech Elite

Addendum to my previous post. My understanding of your going to the Hobbywing motor system was to equalize the motor situation and to reduce costs. The only change I'd make is to go to a Spec tire or tires to reduce costs by eliminating having to have dozens of tire choices to further reduce costs. Admittedly am not familiar with the tracks and surfaces you compete on and don't truly know if this is feasible.

Just a thought from an outside observer and an admirer of what you have put together
Old 06-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #15123
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Great review Tony, I too love the symmetry of design and engineering on this car.
Now why couldn't something like this car be legalised to mix it up a bit and to add some competition? Yes we could be opening up a can of worms, but gee talk about politics there's always the red tape to get around and it spoils it every time.
Unlikely to ever happen John. For a start, the Gambado cannot be geared equivalent to the 03/05 in standard configuration - so that knocks it on the head instantly. Plus, even if it could, it's a nightmare to scrutineer it to check.

Now I don't believe this car will ultimately be any faster than the 03/05's anyway, but like Bob said, all we need is one 'gun' (i.e. Brad or Tim) to start running one, and then instantly there is the perception that unless you have one of these chassis you cant win.

Remember, we had 47 entries in the main class at the Mini Nats, that doesn't sound like to me a class that needs fiddling with in any way...

I know I cant race the car, but I still buy them anyway. Because I know other people want to hear what they're like, and I just like to play with them. Same as with my 4WD Minis. But when it comes to racing, I'm happy with with my M03 thanks.

And btw, here's some footage we took this morning of the Gambado vs the M05. Brads driving the Gambado (orange car) and Tims driving his own race M05 (red and yellow car)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by tony gray; 06-12-2011 at 10:32 PM.
tony gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #15124
Tech Apprentice

i love watching great mini drivers at work and those guys sure are. The cars look really even too, very close.
BumFacedGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #15125
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

thanks,

the car did handle very well

And TFG's review was spot on!!
On road - Race Opt - Team Powers
I)arkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:37 AM   #15126
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
Also, I've never found "Mini" racing boring cause we were running the same chassis from the same manufacturer. What the appeal of Mini racing is that it's affordable and very competitive and the "fast" guys could really set up their chassis and could really drive.

Now, for those of you "bored" with Mini racing as it's structured in Australia, you guys are the envy of many parts of the world. I wouldn't change much and certainly wouldn't make a radical change that could conceivably upset what you've got going.
Hi Granpa, I regularly troll through this and our Aussie forum and obviously havenít made any comments here before either and didnít want to give you or anyone else the wrong impression of us Aussie racers.

My initial question about introducing the Gambado/Grid to our mini racing I must admit was a rather loaded question to see what sort of reaction or view I might get in response

Now it looks like you've taken the bait hook line and sinker!! In all honesty introducing this car would be like opening up a can of worms and frankly like TG said it would never happen for many reasons.

As far as being "bored" well I and I'm sure many others here down under would tell you that mini racing is far from boring and my original remark referred to 1:1 V8 racing and not 1:10 scale mini's.
I personally have three MO5's (as well as several MO3's) that my son and I race including the third back up car so trust me, there is nothing boring about them. I'm always tweaking and wrenching these suckers looking to improve the handling at whichever track we visit. The only thing that is truly lacking is my driving skills but then again give it some time and you never know.

John

"Remember when all else fails stick to the gunuine Tamiya parts because you could of saved heaps!"
Mr_Gleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #15127
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

M chassis is perfect for spec class and budget limiting. We have about 10 people at LHS with M chassis to run/race on our temporary parking lot track behind/next to the building.
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #15128
Tech Elite

Quote:
Hi Granpa, I regularly troll through this and our Aussie forum and obviously havenít made any comments here before either and didnít want to give you or anyone else the wrong impression of us Aussie racers.

My initial question about introducing the Gambado/Grid to our mini racing I must admit was a rather loaded question to see what sort of reaction or view I might get in response

Now it looks like you've taken the bait hook line and sinker!! In all honesty introducing this car would be like opening up a can of worms and frankly like TG said it would never happen for many reasons.

As far as being "bored" well I and I'm sure many others here down under would tell you that mini racing is far from boring and my original remark referred to 1:1 V8 racing and not 1:10 scale mini's.
I personally have three MO5's (as well as several MO3's) that my son and I race including the third back up car so trust me, there is nothing boring about them. I'm always tweaking and wrenching these suckers looking to improve the handling at whichever track we visit. The only thing that is truly lacking is my driving skills but then again give it some time and you never know.

John
John, you're right. I did take the bait hook line and sinker. Interesting that none of your Australian friends took the bait and only an outsider unfamiliar with the political situation and rules structure and enforcement did. That could be for a number of reasons, but let's hope it's not due to complacency or not recognizing you guys have a great thing going.

Let me explain why I reacted. I've been involved with the start of several Mini race series and watched them all grow, flourish, and then die. They died for a variety of reasons, but one of the major reasons was your proposal. One was decisions by track management----"let him race. He paid his entry fee". Another was not enforcing the rules or not having clear guidelines to begin with which brings us back to the track management. There are very few "club" tracks here in SoCal, so we're at the mercy of the owners of the tracks. Unfortunately, they are usually so short sighted that they'll sacrifice a whole race series for a couple of race entry fees. They only grew when we stuck to the "real" Minis and had a good grip on the "cheaters"

John, I know now and didn't before, that your proposal was just to get a reaction, but this sort of thing is not, what I would call helpful. Frankly, it's a real PITA to the guys running your organization.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #15129
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Steer me toward the right RC

I've got a couple of trucks 1/10, 1/12 and 2 1/18 and need to pick a fathers day present. I saw a local parking lot track that races and recommended starting with a M05 Pro. After reading several pages i'm leaning towards a M05 Pro over a M03. Also seems like the ABC Grid/Gambado is newer or dare I say better engineered then a M05 but I doubt it has the huge following that Tamiya has gained. Also liking the M05 Spec that will be released in mid July

So any recommendations?

ABC Gambado
M05 Spec
M05 Pro
M05
M03

TIA
toast. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:12 PM   #15130
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast. View Post
I've got a couple of trucks 1/10, 1/12 and 2 1/18 and need to pick a fathers day present. I saw a local parking lot track that races and recommended starting with a M05 Pro. After reading several pages i'm leaning towards a M05 Pro over a M03. Also seems like the ABC Grid/Gambado is newer or dare I say better engineered then a M05 but I doubt it has the huge following that Tamiya has gained. Also liking the M05 Spec that will be released in mid July

So any recommendations?

ABC Gambado
M05 Spec
M05 Pro
M05
M03

TIA
for parking lot tracks, the M03. Cheaper, easier to build and maintain, less expensive to upgrade, easier to 'tune", in the right hands, it's faster.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:14 AM   #15131
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
John, I know now and didn't before, that your proposal was just to get a reaction, but this sort of thing is not, what I would call helpful. Frankly, it's a real PITA to the guys running your organization.
Granpa, I appreciate what you had to share first hand on past experiences and how this format has eventually failed for obvious reasons.
I myself have only been competitively racing for a couple of years now and most definitely have more experience in the air with about 15 years in RC planes. With the political side of things, I simply like to stay clear and prefer getting on with the job of having some fun with all due respect.

This however being a public forum and questions like this and similar not to mention hypothetical scenarios I'm sure have been asked before like my curve ball.
Since this was only ever mentioned here and nowhere else I strongly disagree that I have caused, or am a PITA to the organization here in Australia lol. I haven't created a song and dance about it nor do I intend to so I apologies if this has struck a nerve.

What we have here is rock solid and as you have acknowledged the envy of many and I too want it to stay that way.

John

"Remember when all else fails stick to the gunuine Tamiya parts because you could of saved heaps!"
Mr_Gleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #15132
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Diff Help Needed

Hi Guys
I need some help please.
i've tried the kit diff, Tamiya M05 diff and the TA03 Diff and I have issues with all 3. Now i'm no novice - i've been racing touring cars for year but I can't seem to get a good consistent diff set up for the mini.
The kit diff is too free - it diffs out on tight corners spinning one wheel up.
The M05 diff is great for a run or 2 but then gets progressivly gritty and eventually un usable until its rebuilt usually every meeting.
And finally the TA03 diff only really seems to work when quite tight, but you loose out on steering when its done up like this.
I run on a tight indoor carpet track using Sweep 25's on a 20t limit brushed motor.
Any thoughts or am i just expecting too much? Idealy i'd like a oil filled gear diff but there isn't one available is there?
Any help or advice you could give would be appreciated

Cheers

Paul
Team EAM
mutley001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #15133
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutley001 View Post
Hi Guys
I need some help please.
i've tried the kit diff, Tamiya M05 diff and the TA03 Diff and I have issues with all 3. Now i'm no novice - i've been racing touring cars for year but I can't seem to get a good consistent diff set up for the mini.
The kit diff is too free - it diffs out on tight corners spinning one wheel up.
The M05 diff is great for a run or 2 but then gets progressivly gritty and eventually un usable until its rebuilt usually every meeting.
And finally the TA03 diff only really seems to work when quite tight, but you loose out on steering when its done up like this.
I run on a tight indoor carpet track using Sweep 25's on a 20t limit brushed motor.
Any thoughts or am i just expecting too much? Idealy i'd like a oil filled gear diff but there isn't one available is there?
Any help or advice you could give would be appreciated

Cheers

Paul
If you like the M05 diff, this should work for you. The TA03 diff works well on most applications, but needs a little care in building. On your next rebuild, try this. Polish the diff rings. Lap them so they are perfectly flat with fine sandpaper on a flat surface like a piece of glass. Then polish with metal polish. If the diff doesn't come out smooth, you'll have to replace the diff balls. I've gone to the ceramic diff balls cause they are cheaper in the long run.

Assemble per the directions, only use a little Anti wear grease in the ball holes in the gear. Loctite the diff screw and tighten it all the way down. A diff built like this will last many, many runs. Sometimes a diff will run rough after a few runs on a rebuild. That's because the diff balls are no longer truly round. Ceramic balls don't wear and don't go out of round.

Steve from R1Wurks gave a set to try and I've been hooked ever since. SpeedTech has them and I'm sure others do to. They are the 3mm ones. Acer racing also sells ceramic diff balls, but I've never tried theirs.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #15134
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yup, run it tight, use ceramic balls. Even cheap ceramic balls are worlds better than the stock steel ones. I've never tried polishing the rings, but Granpa is a smart cookie. It'd be good to follow his advice.

Jim
Old 06-14-2011, 10:01 PM   #15135
Tech Elite

Forgot to add that none of the diff stuff is original with me. Took some info from TG's rc-mini site, some stuff that Tom Kahl showed me, and some stuff that Steve from R1Wurks convinced me of. Also when lapping the diff rings use a figure 8 stroke rather than going straight back and forth. Also made a diff ring holder with the big half of an old TA03 diff and ground it so that the diff ring would lie flat. Saves the fingers. If you look at the diff ring holders you'll see what to grind off and which half to use.