R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   goin' lipo (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/199581-goin-lipo.html)

RussB 01-07-2008 07:42 PM

goin' lipo

my technophobe, lipo bashing ass is going lipo very soon.

right now i'm leaning toward 2 of the new orion 3600's and 1 avionics charger.

that fine for a club racer?

BlackedOutREVO 01-07-2008 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by RussB (Post 4050094)

lipo bashing ass???:lol:

Dude, why not TrakPower? If you would get over to SWR, id let you try my TrakPower, and Bob, and Scott both have carbon and platinum packs, so you can try them all

RussB 01-07-2008 07:51 PM

3600 orion has a considerably higher discharge rating than the trackpower.

BlackedOutREVO 01-07-2008 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by RussB (Post 4050160)
3600 orion has a considerably higher discharge rating than the trackpower.

No it doesnt, there both 25C, and TrakPower has more MAH, which works with the current and all that

Wheres the data on the 3600's at? Any graphs to prove it?

artwork 01-07-2008 07:56 PM

The 3600's are a nice compromise between the 3200's and the 4800's.

3200's are too light and the 4800's are way to big. 3600's are just right baby bear :)

Looks like they will fit nicely in mosts cars without modification.

bowl806 01-07-2008 08:15 PM

Hey RussB- someone from my area uhhh yeah! I'm in Stockton where do ya race at?

RussB 01-07-2008 08:22 PM

Speedworld in Roseville.

there's quite a few bay area / sac area peeps on here.

Nexus Racing 01-07-2008 08:28 PM

We've tried pretty much all the hard-cased lipos (with the exception of the new trinity pack), and the Core-RC 5000 seems to have the best performance. The only downside is that it is the same size as the Orion Platinum, so it won't fit in certain cars. Lately, I have not even bothered to run any of my other lipos at the track since the Core pack has so much more power!...I just use the one pack all day.
The new Orion 3600 would be my second choice...it will fit more cars and has decent performance. If you decide to go with the 3600, you should definitely get two since you probably won't have enough time to recharge in between heats...with the 4800-5000 batteries, you don't dump as high of a % of the pack during the heats, so they don't take as long to re-charge.

BlackedOutREVO 01-07-2008 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Nexus Racing (Post 4050352)
We've tried pretty much all the hard-cased lipos (with the exception of the new trinity pack), and the Core-RC 5000 seems to have the best performance. The only downside is that it is the same size as the Orion Platinum, so it won't fit in certain cars. Lately, I have not even bothered to run any of my other lipos at the track since the Core pack has so much more power!...I just use the one pack all day.
The new Orion 3600 would be my second choice...it will fit more cars and has decent performance. If you decide to go with the 3600, you should definitely get two since you probably won't have enough time to recharge in between heats...with the 4800-5000 batteries, you don't dump as high of a % of the pack during the heats, so they don't take as long to re-charge.

I havent tried the core pack (I need too!) I didnt buy my TrakPower, and I didnt buy the orion packs, so far they have all been free LOL, My buddy bought 2 packs, one for him, one for me, he did carbons, and then we got rid of them for TrakPower, so there heaps better then nimh, I cant complain, but I like them more then orion (To each his own...:D) But I have heard nothing but good about the core pack, just no one in my area (so far) uses it

STLNLST 01-07-2008 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO (Post 4050390)
I havent tried the core pack (I need too!) I didnt buy my TrakPower, and I didnt buy the orion packs, so far they have all been free LOL, My buddy bought 2 packs, one for him, one for me, he did carbons, and then we got rid of them for TrakPower, so there heaps better then nimh, I cant complain, but I like them more then orion (To each his own...:D) But I have heard nothing but good about the core pack, just no one in my area (so far) uses it

you should get out more cause Aaron Young has been running pretty well with his Core packs. The only down fall to every lipo (IMO) is that they all have different connectors. If they were universal then it might be possible for most racers to try out more than one brand. The Orion's have the internal plugs (which is nice) and the Core uses an external plug connection. I have two Orion 4800's but plan on possibly trying the Reedy once it's released. I plan on running mostly mod this summer but if 19 calls then I will run it too.

RussB 01-07-2008 09:51 PM

the 3200 carbon is a 20c discharge. the trackpower is a 20c discharge. the orion platnum is a 15c discharge. the new 3600 carbon is a 25c discharge.

BOR - i think a 3600 lipo should have more than enough capacity, especially since i was spanking your lipo equipped 10.5 car with my old had IB3600s and a 13.5 :lol: :eek:

syndr0me 01-07-2008 10:31 PM

I wouldn't get too caught up comparing C ratings between companies, as it's mostly a marketing term, and extremely subjective in how it's measured from one company to the next.

All of the packs should suit you quite well. The Kokam cells Orion uses are quite a bit better quality than the others. You will hear a lot of people on here say different, but they really don't know, they're just saying what they use is good. With that said, the voltage will probably be lower than the others (safer chemistry), so if you're racing against people with hot NiMH, you might find the increased voltage is important to you.

I'd say, the most important thing is to first find a pack that fits in your car (w/hard case) and allows you to add enough weight to be legal. That's really the biggest challenge. As for picking one battery or the other, that's a little harder. All the packs you mentioned give you all the great advantages of LiPo, so it's like comparing really great against really really great. Either way, you're going to be fine. Do you know or race with linger there in NorCal? He's probably the best guy to chat with about your decision if you want facts, and not just a bunch of opinions from guys on the Internet that have never tried more than whatever brand of battery they're telling you is the best.

Skruger 01-07-2008 10:51 PM

Lipo Suction NOT

Originally Posted by Nexus Racing (Post 4050352)
The only downside is that it is the same size as the Orion Platinum

If you decide to go with the 3600, you should definitely get two since you probably won't have enough time to recharge in between heats...with the 4800-5000 batteries, you don't dump as high of a % of the pack during the heats, so they don't take as long to re-charge.

1 the Core 5000 are 2 mm shorter in height and fit in the T2007 with VERY MINOR modifications to the Battery. The Orion Platinum 4800 will not fit Without major Modifications to the Chassis and may effect the handeling of car.also The Orion Platinum 4800 will not fit orginal T2 at all no matter how much modification.

2 The Carbon 3600 fits both the Xray T2 and the 007 with MINOR modifications to the CAR. So easy a Cave Man could do it, I did it :sweat:

I had to go down 2 teeth on the pinion using the carbon 3600 versus BrOOd Matched Team IB4200wc NiMh just to get the same lap times. Chassis was at 1525g for both battery typs.

I have fully switched to LiPo and Next week I will be trying the Core 5000 in a unmodified T2007:D

Patrick

Skruger 01-07-2008 10:57 PM

That is what I am using and love it:nod:

I run Stock 13.5 for 8 min on carpet and still have Much Mah left over :D

If I was to go to a Regional/National event I would get NiMh For that race only then Ebay them afterwords.

Patrick.

BlackedOutREVO 01-07-2008 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by STLNLST (Post 4050574)
you should get out more cause Aaron Young has been running pretty well with his Core packs. The only down fall to every lipo (IMO) is that they all have different connectors. If they were universal then it might be possible for most racers to try out more than one brand. The Orion's have the internal plugs (which is nice) and the Core uses an external plug connection. I have two Orion 4800's but plan on possibly trying the Reedy once it's released. I plan on running mostly mod this summer but if 19 calls then I will run it too.

I go out every race day, its just you guys race everywhere, and I cant get around to stockton and all which sucks..... Thats a down fall also IMO, because once the wires are chopped, there chopped lol... But the bullets are kind of bad too, because every time I plug in the speedo, (I use bullets right to the pack) And it sparks, so its all dirty, and internally I dont want to replace tthe bullets, So I have to send it in:D

I hope you run 19T man, I need to get spanked, I want to get good and tats the best way to learn if you ask me, So far, theres not much competition.....

Originally Posted by RussB (Post 4050676)
the 3200 carbon is a 20c discharge. the trackpower is a 20c discharge. the orion platnum is a 15c discharge. the new 3600 carbon is a 25c discharge.

BOR - i think a 3600 lipo should have more than enough capacity, especially since i was spanking your lipo equipped 10.5 car with my old had IB3600s and a 13.5 :lol: :eek:

Hahahahahaha, True, I cant argue, you run 10.5 during summer, I need to get my car re built, and do what Scotty said LOL, Im soo lazy.... Lets all run 19 man, get Vill out, Grant, You, Clint, Victor, Does A-Yo do 19t? and who else?