Search
Like Tree6Likes

Tamiya Ta06

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gom
I have a quick question about the front shock positioning of the TA06. I heard that putting the front shocks in the standard position instead of the IFS position would produce better weight distribution for this car. The only advantage of the IFS is that you can use a low profile body.

Have anybody tried putting the shocks upright and found a big improvement to their cornering?
I run mine in the stand up position, IMO the car handles better then the IFS and its easier to tune and adjust your car, like you mentioned the only real advantage to running the IFS is a low profile body and thats about it from my experience.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bozzplayer
I run mine in the stand up position, IMO the car handles better then the IFS and its easier to tune and adjust your car, like you mentioned the only real advantage to running the IFS is a low profile body and thats about it from my experience.
another downside to the IFS is if any air gets in the shocks, the piston will be exposed to an air pocket through out the entire stroke.
As mentioned, this car has a lot of rear weight bias, so having the shocks upfront as possible helps also.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

The carbon battery hatch from tamiya gives you a weightsaving of 11,6gr
Run the car on an outdoor track yesterday and the car felt great, lot's of grip and easy to drive.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Do you experience drivetrain ineffciency due to its additional components compared to a twin belt car? Thanks.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm running the IFS in my ta06 and it smashes!!! Wight the rear and front away setup and a stiffer spring in the rear the reaction is great. I have a ball diff in the rear with 100,000 oil in the front diff. All aluminum components that tamiya makes for the car till now. Running an LRP sxx v2, novak ballistic 17.5, and a spectrum .09 servo. no complaints and car has been setup for carpet.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shameless121
I'm running the IFS in my ta06 and it smashes!!! Wight the rear and front away setup and a stiffer spring in the rear the reaction is great. I have a ball diff in the rear with 100,000 oil in the front diff. All aluminum components that tamiya makes for the car till now. Running an LRP sxx v2, novak ballistic 17.5, and a spectrum .09 servo. no complaints and car has been setup for carpet.
i was running medium all around u found it handling better with harder springs in the rear?
Old 09-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah I'm running a little tighter in the rear medium sway in the rear and soft up front. Stock spring in front medium or hard in the back. Ride height is about 4 in front and 5 in the rear I think is what mine is set at. Running a 88tooth spur and a 55 pinion. I'll make sure and get back to you. You'll notice with the oil in the diff and doing those few things will change steering dramatically.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:24 PM
gom
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have reposition the front shocks in the upright position. inpuressa has a good point about possible air pockets affecting the entire stroke when the shocks are laid down. i think that's exactly what happened to my shocks last weekend.

so i have redone both front shocks completely and put them upright. hope that helps.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by gom
I have reposition the front shocks in the upright position. inpuressa has a good point about possible air pockets affecting the entire stroke when the shocks are laid down. i think that's exactly what happened to my shocks last weekend.

so i have redone both front shocks completely and put them upright. hope that helps.
Buid them properly and air pockets won't be an issue.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silverhkswrx
Buid them properly and air pockets won't be an issue.
Indeed. I have been running TA05 IFS since its introduction.. Works without issue. Gonna initially run my TA06 in upright style just to compare laptimes with my 416... Will untimely lay them down and compare laptimes up vs down..
Old 09-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSherman
Indeed. I have been running TA05 IFS since its introduction.. Works without issue. Gonna initially run my TA06 in upright style just to compare laptimes with my 416... Will untimely lay them down and compare laptimes up vs down..
Brilliant drives a few weeks ago at TCS Nats, Orlando. It looked like you could have used a TB03 tho to get a lil more oomph! You could see your motor fading lap after lap and only your nice driving was keeping your car out front.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OSherman
that'll work if you rebuild your shocks after every race day or after every pack if you want to keep the shocks perfectly free of air.

My lap times were faster with the outboard position. I had more front grip overall probably due to the weight distribution.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by inpuressa
that'll work if you rebuild your shocks after every race day or after every pack if you want to keep the shocks perfectly free of air.
I haven't rebuilt my IFS shocks on my FF03 in 3 months...seemed to work fine at the nationals a couple weeks ago. I haven't rebuilt my shocks in my IFS 05 since I rebuilt it at the begining of the year. They're not that bad and are no different when you're giving your car a once over.

Orlando, if you need a rabbit to chase this weekend or vice versa, Edgar and I are running our TRF41-whatevers in full-blown angry mode

psst...Mike, make me order a TA06
Old 09-14-2011, 07:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rtypec
I haven't rebuilt my IFS shocks on my FF03 in 3 months...seemed to work fine at the nationals a couple weeks ago. I haven't rebuilt my shocks in my IFS 05 since I rebuilt it at the begining of the year. They're not that bad and are no different when you're giving your car a once over.

Orlando, if you need a rabbit to chase this weekend or vice versa, Edgar and I are running our TRF41-whatevers in full-blown angry mode

psst...Mike, make me order a TA06
Order the TA06 its an excellent car. The IFS I guess you just have to know how to drive I have mine setup and im running high 12's low 13's and its not even diled all the way yet and thats on a LRP ESC and a Novak 17.5 motor. your still putting the weight down the center anf front of the car the shock are in the middle, yes it may not be right next to each wheel but weight is dispursed properly if you built it right. Takes time getting used to but its great. I normally will just cycle the shocks a few times after ebery run so they are getting there full ins and out working. I have had no issues in 5 months with air getting inside. Get the proper sway setup on it silver in back red/ pink in front. soften the suspension infront and stiffin in the rear. lower droop to 4 in front 5 in the rear. It Handles!!! Ive had it on carpet and Asphalt
Old 09-14-2011, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR
Brilliant drives a few weeks ago at TCS Nats, Orlando. It looked like you could have used a TB03 tho to get a lil more oomph! You could see your motor fading lap after lap and only your nice driving was keeping your car out front.

Yeah... That drivetrain is oh-so-smooth and efficient in the TB03's. And thanks for the kind words. Cant wait to see what this TA06 can do, should be interesting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.