Search
Like Tree6Likes

Tamiya Ta06

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Concerning the FF03 diff and TA06 Rear Diff:
The tooth count is the same on both gears. The difference is, the spacing on the outdrives are different. The Gear case of the FF03 is narrower therefor if you were to drop a TA06 Rear Diff in the FF03, it would not fit. If you were to drop an FF03 gear diff in a TA06 gear case, it would slide side to side. Just give it time..im sure eventually a company will make a spool for the TA06 Rear Diff. The option parts for the Front Spool, Ball Diff, Rear ball Diff and Front Oneway are on their way.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by abdul basit
Are there any other kits around $209 that can let me change pulleys for a countersteer setup? If so why don't you name some?

Last time I checked the Gold VDF was twice the price? And the TB03 was shaft drive so you can't countersteer it.

So does anybody know if the front spool can be used in the rear or should I use thick oil?
The Ta05 series is cheap and easy to change pulleys etc to make a great CS drift car I'd go for one of those, or just slap in some 300K oil in the TA06 rear diff to make it act like a spool.

Personally I dont like Gear-diffs.. they are fine for Mod racing but for less powerful motors, ball diffs are better as they are lighter, easily adjustable and last ages between rebuilds.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Another option you may want to do to your TA06 Rear diff is pouring JB WELD in it and it will be permanently a spool.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

or use Diff-lock
Old 06-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks a lot guys!

I guess I'm going to have to use heavier oil until they make a spool.

Oh well. Let's hope they make one soon.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by stitchy
or use Diff-lock
Albert..is that the GREEN grease?
Old 06-20-2011, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by charlie_b
Albert..is that the GREEN grease?
Hey CB, not sure if it's green...unless Charles lets me open the one he just ordered!
Old 06-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

is the chassis a keeper or not I cannot believe no one has posted a report on this chassis
Old 06-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

TA06 PRO Thoughts

Set up:
Shock Oil :40wt AE F/R
Gear Diff :Front:120,000 Wt Ofna Diff Oil
:Rear 30,000Wt Ofna Diff Oil
Camber: Stock Settings
Toe:Stock Settings
Springs: Stock Settings(Yellow F/R)
Motor: Speedpassion V3.0 17.5 w/30* Sensor
Esc:Speedpassion LPF
Spur:94*T(later realized i i had the wrong one in. Needed an 84T Spur)
Pinion:48T
Body: Tamiya NSX 2004
Battery: Thunderpower 2700mah 35C

I finished building the TA-06 at the track and I eagerly took it out on the pavement to see what this car could do. After a few clicks on the steering trim the car was ready to go. Initially the car was very responsive, which I liked and as I went ahead and sped down the long 165’ straight. The car felt decent. It was a little faster than the few sedans that were there during practice, so I figured the speed was ok. At the end of the straight there was a high speed chicane which a lot of the cars either took down perfect or dotted out going too fast.
The TA06 Pro has no issues that I can see so far. This is probably due to the centrally placed battery position and almost zero roll. The car didn’t need sway bars in my opinion and made the car super fast in certain sections. I probably made up about 1/10th to 2/10ths of a second on people in the chicane. Turn-in on the car was very good as well. I have forgotten what it was like to have a diff in the front from running Spools up front for the last 4-5 years. You can cut into a turn easily with out the initial understeer characteristics the spool normally has. On sweeping turns and carousels, the car held its line without veering away from the inside line of the turn. This was very impressive! The car did not roll very much, so I concluded that with a non-boosted 17.5 set up, sway bars are not necessary. The only thing I noticed and it being evident on rear diff powered cars, was that in a sharp turn, you can not stab the throttle like you can with a rear ball diff. A lot of drivers are smoother on the throttle than I am and this would not be an issue for them, but for me with my “Hammer Hands”, I really had to baby the trigger. No big deal though, you adapt and go racing!
When the heat started, I was 2nd to last on the grid then I got taken out on the chicane. I managed to move my way up to 3rd place and tested the speed of my TA06 against the 2nd place driver on the long straight. He pulled away from me pretty hard. So in the end of the heat, I managed to stay in 3rd place. I geared up my pinion to 51 from a 48T to see what my car could do. The same thing happened in the second heat, but I was a little faster this time. Unfortunately, I was still off the pace. I was starting to think it was the rear transmission of the new TA06 slowing the car down since it’s a departure from the TA05 dual, equal length belt design. I ended up running my TA-05 IFSR in the mains to see if maybe it was my batteries or motor going slow. It turns out I was geared wrong the whole time. I had a 94T Spur thinking I had an 84T spur-gear in the car. A FDR (Final Drive Ratio) of 4.22 to 3.55 FDR is a big difference!!! Oops. You really have to laugh at these things. Something so simple makes such a difference. Well, good thing I own a permanent track. I will test the TA06 Pro with the new gear ratio and see what kind of speeds this car is capable of. That and my THunderpower 5300 65C batteries. I thought maybe the lighter weight would give me an advantage but i'm going for broke..MORE POWER!! Until then, see you at the track!
Old 06-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey CB, not sure if it's green...unless Charles lets me open the one he just ordered!
go ahead and open
Old 06-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Tech Elite

Would've been much easier to just read the label, but that would be a disservice to our loyal customers wouldn't it?

The stuff is super thick, super sticky...kind of like shoe goo...
Old 06-20-2011, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Would've been much easier to just read the label, but that would be a disservice to our loyal customers wouldn't it?

The stuff is super thick, super sticky...kind of like shoe goo...
HAHA it does ay clear doesn't it...lol..Gonna have to order some soon Albert.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by charlie_b
HAHA it does ay clear doesn't it...lol..Gonna have to order some soon Albert.
I'll have it with me at CAL Saturday and Sunday you can borrow some to try, but I want it back Sunday night...
Old 06-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Does the diff lock stuff set up firm, or does it stay super thick n nasty?
Old 06-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MC112b
Does the diff lock stuff set up firm, or does it stay super thick n nasty?
Is it getting hot in here ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.