Like Tree6Likes

Tamiya Ta06

Old 12-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by addicted2blue
a bigger spur with smal pinions gives you more power during acceleration (small and technical circuit) and a smaller spur with big pinions gives you more top speed (big circuit with a large straight).
Thanks for the clarification. I knew it was something like that.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silverhkswrx

you must REALLY want that top speed!
Tim knows the track, and unlike me who has yet to go drive it, hes actually raced on it. So I am sure his recommendations are good. I just don't want to be so slow that is not fun to drive with other people who are racing. I understand my car wont be as strong performer as other "race chassis" nor will my rusted driving, but I I want to at least we able to NOT be the grandma on the fast lane or on the back straight and cause an accident. I know that with 5:1 my cars feels good in the parking lot with no grip ect, so I think I wouldn't hurt to gear up a little bit. After all the motor is running very very cool still.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Profoxcg
Tim knows the track, and unlike me who has yet to go drive it, hes actually raced on it. So I am sure his recommendations are good. I just don't want to be so slow that is not fun to drive with other people who are racing. I understand my car wont be as strong performer as other "race chassis" nor will my rusted driving, but I I want to at least we able to NOT be the grandma on the fast lane or on the back straight and cause an accident. I know that with 5:1 my cars feels good in the parking lot with no grip ect, so I think I wouldn't hurt to gear up a little bit. After all the motor is running very very cool still.
Absolutely trust someone with experience on the track you frequent! I am in the tampa area and I run a FDR much higher. As long as the gear matches your driving style and the pace of your class you're golden!
Old 12-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Tech Master

^ needless to say, the information no this thread has helped me tons and Ive really learned a lot about this car and 10th scale electric overall. In nitro, I did not mess with gears at all, just the clutch. So this is a bit new to me. (ok I did race mini-z and I do have slot cars but they are completely different to a TC)
Old 12-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

just wondering something...I come from the older days when I raced a TA02. All the gears were lubed with a wax lube for road bicycle chains. Its called white lightning and it worked great wen TCs had gear boxes ..anybody still using this stuuf?
Old 12-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jrwperformance
just wondering something...I come from the older days when I raced a TA02. All the gears were lubed with a wax lube for road bicycle chains. Its called white lightning and it worked great wen TCs had gear boxes ..anybody still using this stuuf?
I've been using White Lightning instead of grease on my dog bones for a while now... It doesn't pick up dirt and the wear is pretty good... less friction then grease...
Old 12-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

oh wow. Yeah I love that stuff, I use it on my "Zippified" Tarmac - ok let me stay on topic.

I wonder if this car be used on the bearings too instead of bearing oil.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MC112b
Thanks for the website.

The right hand steering mod is mounting the servo on the right side of the car. This puts the esc on the left side, away from the belts and with shorter/cleaner motor wiring. You can do it with the stock parts, but it takes some dremel grinding. I made a mirror imaged K6 (in the manual) to make hassle free. PM me if your interested.
Wow. Just got the kit yesterday and only have one run with it as it was getting late..... Using same setup as the plastic chassis this thing is on rail!!! Feels much like my T3 as the directional changes are so much faster.... The right side servo mod do seems like a good idea as it move all the wires away from the moving stuff.... if I can get my wife off my back will try it tonight. Thanks for the headup!!!
Old 12-06-2011, 01:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

anyone running vta? looking for a base spur/ pinion setup
Old 12-06-2011, 05:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by lightfoot
I've been using White Lightning instead of grease on my dog bones for a while now... It doesn't pick up dirt and the wear is pretty good... less friction then grease...
I mountain bike regularly, and I have tons of this stuff lying around... I never knew this trick. thanks for the tip! I however wouldnt use it on bearings. I personally use gun oil. Good 'ol fashoned remington remoil available at walmart.

(for those who dont know)the white lightning comes out a liquid and solidifies when it dries. It is a mix between a wax and lube. As it absorbs dirt, it gets even harder and eventually falls off. If you put it in a bearing, it will eventually accumulate dirt and metal shavings and with no where to fall or leave, it will seize the bearing. Not good.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

mike, any chance you are going to make a titanium main shaft?
Old 12-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

How can I salvage my 630 bearings for the steering posts. They were a little snug putting them in. i tried to remove one and the outer shield popped and the balls are now somewhere inbetween the crevices in my wood floor. that is the only one that busted.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:45 AM
Tech Adept

Just asking, because i got the regular TA06, will the dampers from a TA04 fit on them, because i found some of the nice set of TRF ones on ebay for £20
Old 12-07-2011, 04:05 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by samshirley00
Just asking, because i got the regular TA06, will the dampers from a TA04 fit on them, because i found some of the nice set of TRF ones on ebay for £20
Yes
Old 12-07-2011, 04:27 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
Yes
Brilliant.

Was also wondering, i have a cheap brush-less system, but the cables from the speed controller to the motor are only about 5 inches long, and i am unsure if this is going to be long enough to mount the speed controller on the right hand side

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.