R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #1426
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPR View Post
Curious since some time has passed what your setup is for carpet now? Are you running IFS or vertical shock mount? We run on a tight, technical track - 40'x40' I believe...
Sorry, unfortunately I just couldn't get the TA06 up to a level of competitiveness that I was comfortable with.

It just didn't have the rip out of the corners on tight, short, and high bite carpet tracks. It definitely wasn't for a lack of trying, I spent massive amounts of time and money on her, but it wasn't to be. I just couldn't squeeze that last tenth out nor keep the fade away.

Always run the standard shock set-up for competition. The IFS angle is pretty severely compromised. It looks like the Exotek set-up fixes this though.

That set-up should get you started in low to medium bite. If you have high bite you will need to remove RC shims from the lower blocks. Also adding another .5mm under the front blocks will mellow the steering out and make the car more "tossable".

A spool dramatically reduces drive-line weight and adds to the drivability as well.

Honestly, if you grab a set of calipers and bee line to the nearest fast car for your track and start taking measurements it will get you 90% there. Measure pin heights, link lengths, shock mount points, and start squishing springs together!

It is not a very well kept secret that most cars end up with similar geometries. The main differentiators these days are chassis flex, weight distribution, and the steering rack.

Even ye'olde Pro 4 has identical lower mounts, upper mounts, link lengths, etc as the latest and greatest TCX.....

The main difference with the TA06 will be the roll-centers. You will need to go a bit higher than most cars in the back due to the rear weight bias. DO NOT go the stiffer spring route, it will compromise bump absorption, and exit grip.

Mike Slaughter
masterhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #1427
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to silverhkswrx Send a message via Skype™ to silverhkswrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterhit View Post
Sorry, unfortunately I just couldn't get the TA06 up to a level of competitiveness that I was comfortable with.

It just didn't have the rip out of the corners on tight, short, and high bite carpet tracks. It definitely wasn't for a lack of trying, I spent massive amounts of time and money on her, but it wasn't to be. I just couldn't squeeze that last tenth out nor keep the fade away.

Always run the standard shock set-up for competition. The IFS angle is pretty severely compromised. It looks like the Exotek set-up fixes this though.

That set-up should get you started in low to medium bite. If you have high bite you will need to remove RC shims from the lower blocks. Also adding another .5mm under the front blocks will mellow the steering out and make the car more "tossable".

A spool dramatically reduces drive-line weight and adds to the drivability as well.

Honestly, if you grab a set of calipers and bee line to the nearest fast car for your track and start taking measurements it will get you 90% there. Measure pin heights, link lengths, shock mount points, and start squishing springs together!

It is not a very well kept secret that most cars end up with similar geometries. The main differentiators these days are chassis flex, weight distribution, and the steering rack.

Even ye'olde Pro 4 has identical lower mounts, upper mounts, link lengths, etc as the latest and greatest TCX.....

The main difference with the TA06 will be the roll-centers. You will need to go a bit higher than most cars in the back due to the rear weight bias. DO NOT go the stiffer spring route, it will compromise bump absorption, and exit grip.

Mike Slaughter
How is the IFS setup flawed? The only way I can see an issue is if there is air, but if made properly, that wont be an issue.

and what shims do you speak of removing?

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm
silverhkswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #1428
Tech Adept

i thought the main reason people ran the IFS setup was if they have a bodyshell with a low front......
Old 12-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #1429
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhkswrx View Post
How is the IFS setup flawed? The only way I can see an issue is if there is air, but if made properly, that wont be an issue.

and what shims do you speak of removing?
It is the angle of the rocker arm. It has been covered before in the thread. The Exotek conversion corrects the angle.

The roll-center shims underneath the lower arm mount "blocks". This is a coarse RC adjustment. It increases or decreases the moment arm/roll-coupling between the RC and the center of gravity.

In my experience high RC helps the car "square up better" and more forgiving to drive. You can sling the car into turns at will. It makes for a good car that you can really "dog fight" with and can be forgiving.

But, if you can really wheel, it is not always the fastest!

This should be mandatory reading for any member of RCTECH....

http://users.telenet.be/elvo/

Mike Slaughter
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya Ta06-dsc_0590__91165_zoom.jpg   Tamiya Ta06-gallery_58492_02.jpg  
masterhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #1430
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to silverhkswrx Send a message via Skype™ to silverhkswrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterhit View Post
It is the angle of the rocker arm. It has been covered before in the thread. The Exotek conversion corrects the angle.

The roll-center shims underneath the lower arm mount "blocks". This is a coarse RC adjustment. It increases or decreases the moment arm/roll-coupling between the RC and the center of gravity.

In my experience high RC helps the car "square up better" and more forgiving to drive. You can sling the car into turns at will. It makes for a good car that you can really "dog fight" with and can be forgiving.

But, if you can really wheel, it is not always the fastest!

This should be mandatory reading for any member of RCTECH....

http://users.telenet.be/elvo/

Mike Slaughter
I definately see the difference in angle, however the article (which is very informative and confused me even more on ackerman angle and how it affects my drifing/drifting-any insight you can provide, please send me a PM) doesnt discuss IFS/horizontal setups (being as how it is only used by tamiya/and some pan cars)

I do notice in drifting, this is a much better setup than racing. I dont know if it is because I have been rc drifting for 7 years or so (longer than I have been racing) and it is skill related....

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm
silverhkswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #1431
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
Good news all- EX06 alloy plates just arrived so that means we can begin packaging kits!
I have marked kits in stock so that we can begin shipping Wednesday

http://www.exotekracing.com/ex06-ta0...is-conversion/

Thanks for your support

It looks like the chassis is pre-drilled on both sides of the chassis for mounting the steering servo. Am I seeing this correctly?
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #1432
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhkswrx View Post
I definately see the difference in angle, however the article (which is very informative and confused me even more on ackerman angle and how it affects my drifing/drifting-any insight you can provide, please send me a PM) doesnt discuss IFS/horizontal setups (being as how it is only used by tamiya/and some pan cars)

I do notice in drifting, this is a much better setup than racing. I dont know if it is because I have been rc drifting for 7 years or so (longer than I have been racing) and it is skill related....
I read up on drifting, and a lot of conventional RC setups are not optimal. Guys in Japan are making special knuckles that give them extreme steering angles and camber. Over driving the rear seems to be the norm now also. Drifting is pretty much in its own world, and should be treated with as much difference as on vs off road. You should see some of the drift specific chassis out there now. All can say is "bling". There are some TA06 specific conversions out there.

btw, anyone tested the Exotek conversion yet?
inpuressa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #1433
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
It looks like the chassis is pre-drilled on both sides of the chassis for mounting the steering servo. Am I seeing this correctly?
Yessir, although you would need to mod the stock steering in order to flip it.

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #1434
AOD
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpuressa View Post

What!! you don't have one yet?
AOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #1435
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpuressa View Post
They just started shippin Wednesday!

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #1436
Tech Adept

can't wait too get my hands on one!

any idea when they will arrive in the UK?
Old 12-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #1437
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOD View Post
What!! you don't have one yet?
Still on the fence on this... Fun to chase down people with the tub car lol
well, although I probably put as much money into the car to get a 417...
It's all in the layout about this car for me...
The exotek will make my car easier to make the 1350g limit(I might be able to use my IFS bodies now), and the more precise tweak/flex properties...

Last edited by inpuressa; 12-15-2011 at 03:48 PM.
inpuressa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #1438
Tech Fanatic

I was really pleased with the car, as I finally got it on track last night. Took 6th in the A main with a car built to kit specs (except for diif oil.) It was my first time racing in over 5 years, and I was amazed at how easy the car was to drive. Not too shabby.
cementsurfer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #1439
Tech Adept

Gotta love the TUB car ,its so fun to drive it amongst all the high end chassis'
heres mine with all carbon reinforced plastics and most aluminum toe blocks and carbon rear tower .The battery compartment is awesome for tucking away wires .Keeps things tidy [/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya Ta06-photo-27.jpg   Tamiya Ta06-photo-32.jpg   Tamiya Ta06-photo-30.jpg   Tamiya Ta06-photo-33.jpg  
Old 12-16-2011, 02:47 AM   #1440
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cementsurfer86 View Post
I was really pleased with the car, as I finally got it on track last night. Took 6th in the A main with a car built to kit specs (except for diif oil.) It was my first time racing in over 5 years, and I was amazed at how easy the car was to drive. Not too shabby.
How was the speed? Did you stay with the 99/43 gear combo?
Lethal Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote