R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #1366
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to silverhkswrx Send a message via Skype™ to silverhkswrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2blue View Post
a bigger spur with smal pinions gives you more power during acceleration (small and technical circuit) and a smaller spur with big pinions gives you more top speed (big circuit with a large straight).
Thanks for the clarification. I knew it was something like that.

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm
silverhkswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #1367
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Profoxcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhkswrx View Post

you must REALLY want that top speed!
Tim knows the track, and unlike me who has yet to go drive it, hes actually raced on it. So I am sure his recommendations are good. I just don't want to be so slow that is not fun to drive with other people who are racing. I understand my car wont be as strong performer as other "race chassis" nor will my rusted driving, but I I want to at least we able to NOT be the grandma on the fast lane or on the back straight and cause an accident. I know that with 5:1 my cars feels good in the parking lot with no grip ect, so I think I wouldn't hurt to gear up a little bit. After all the motor is running very very cool still.
Profoxcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #1368
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to silverhkswrx Send a message via Skype™ to silverhkswrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profoxcg View Post
Tim knows the track, and unlike me who has yet to go drive it, hes actually raced on it. So I am sure his recommendations are good. I just don't want to be so slow that is not fun to drive with other people who are racing. I understand my car wont be as strong performer as other "race chassis" nor will my rusted driving, but I I want to at least we able to NOT be the grandma on the fast lane or on the back straight and cause an accident. I know that with 5:1 my cars feels good in the parking lot with no grip ect, so I think I wouldn't hurt to gear up a little bit. After all the motor is running very very cool still.
Absolutely trust someone with experience on the track you frequent! I am in the tampa area and I run a FDR much higher. As long as the gear matches your driving style and the pace of your class you're golden!

Old 12-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #1369
Tech Master

^ needless to say, the information no this thread has helped me tons and Ive really learned a lot about this car and 10th scale electric overall. In nitro, I did not mess with gears at all, just the clutch. So this is a bit new to me. (ok I did race mini-z and I do have slot cars but they are completely different to a TC)
Old 12-05-2011, 06:23 PM   #1370
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

just wondering something...I come from the older days when I raced a TA02. All the gears were lubed with a wax lube for road bicycle chains. Its called white lightning and it worked great wen TCs had gear boxes ..anybody still using this stuuf?
Old 12-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #1371
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrwperformance View Post
just wondering something...I come from the older days when I raced a TA02. All the gears were lubed with a wax lube for road bicycle chains. Its called white lightning and it worked great wen TCs had gear boxes ..anybody still using this stuuf?
I've been using White Lightning instead of grease on my dog bones for a while now... It doesn't pick up dirt and the wear is pretty good... less friction then grease...
Old 12-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #1372
Tech Master

oh wow. Yeah I love that stuff, I use it on my "Zippified" Tarmac - ok let me stay on topic.

I wonder if this car be used on the bearings too instead of bearing oil.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:14 PM   #1373
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC112b View Post
Thanks for the website.

The right hand steering mod is mounting the servo on the right side of the car. This puts the esc on the left side, away from the belts and with shorter/cleaner motor wiring. You can do it with the stock parts, but it takes some dremel grinding. I made a mirror imaged K6 (in the manual) to make hassle free. PM me if your interested.
Wow. Just got the kit yesterday and only have one run with it as it was getting late..... Using same setup as the plastic chassis this thing is on rail!!! Feels much like my T3 as the directional changes are so much faster.... The right side servo mod do seems like a good idea as it move all the wires away from the moving stuff.... if I can get my wife off my back will try it tonight. Thanks for the headup!!!
Old 12-06-2011, 02:56 AM   #1374
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

anyone running vta? looking for a base spur/ pinion setup
Lethal Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:34 AM   #1375
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfoot View Post
I've been using White Lightning instead of grease on my dog bones for a while now... It doesn't pick up dirt and the wear is pretty good... less friction then grease...
I mountain bike regularly, and I have tons of this stuff lying around... I never knew this trick. thanks for the tip! I however wouldnt use it on bearings. I personally use gun oil. Good 'ol fashoned remington remoil available at walmart.

(for those who dont know)the white lightning comes out a liquid and solidifies when it dries. It is a mix between a wax and lube. As it absorbs dirt, it gets even harder and eventually falls off. If you put it in a bearing, it will eventually accumulate dirt and metal shavings and with no where to fall or leave, it will seize the bearing. Not good.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #1376
Tech Fanatic

mike, any chance you are going to make a titanium main shaft?

Old 12-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #1377
Tech Fanatic

How can I salvage my 630 bearings for the steering posts. They were a little snug putting them in. i tried to remove one and the outer shield popped and the balls are now somewhere inbetween the crevices in my wood floor. that is the only one that busted.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:45 AM   #1378
Tech Adept

Just asking, because i got the regular TA06, will the dampers from a TA04 fit on them, because i found some of the nice set of TRF ones on ebay for 20
Old 12-07-2011, 05:05 AM   #1379
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by samshirley00 View Post
Just asking, because i got the regular TA06, will the dampers from a TA04 fit on them, because i found some of the nice set of TRF ones on ebay for 20
Yes
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:27 AM   #1380
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia View Post
Yes
Brilliant.

Was also wondering, i have a cheap brush-less system, but the cables from the speed controller to the motor are only about 5 inches long, and i am unsure if this is going to be long enough to mount the speed controller on the right hand side