R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #1351
Tech Apprentice
 
IAmGreatDane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 61
Default Going from 257mm to 251mm

Hi guys

Is it possible to reduce the wheelbase from standard setting 257mm to 251mm?
__________________
Best Regards,

I Am GreatDane c'',)
IAmGreatDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #1352
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South FLorida
Posts: 1,104
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Profoxcg
Default update -

The car running nicely now that I have plugged in the sensor wire and changed to 64P gears.

I am running
100T spur / 43T pinion : 5.04:1 The car is much more lively and fun to drive.
nice acceleration and what appears to be good top end, although since I haven't been to the track I cannot tell.

My 17.5 from KO seems to be doing great, its only running at 89deg F. This was running the car with not body (but I figured it would be the easiest way to test the temp? the KO esc is cool temp wise. This makes me think I can probably go up a few more teeth on the pinion and get down to 4.5:1 OR I should I get a smaller spur?

I finally changed to HPI X pattern tires and some +3 offset wheels. The track width is 190mm (with tamiya 5mm hex hubs). I guess in a touring class with spec tires and wheels which are usually 0 offset, you need to use different hex hubs to get the offset you need?

Either way, not I just need to redo the wiring install transponder and I am ready for some racing.

Last edited by Profoxcg; 12-04-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Profoxcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:48 AM   #1353
Tech Fanatic
 
silverhkswrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 988
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to silverhkswrx Send a message via Skype™ to silverhkswrx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profoxcg View Post
I was under the impression that with our chassis and zero offset wheels the car would measure at 190mm? but that is not the case? The wheels in the kit have 2+ offset which means that in order to really have 190mm track width we need to use 2+ wheels?

Or am I mistaken? I noticed this when I bought some 0 offset HPI wheels to install some X threads on them. But I would rather make sure I have the correct track width.

what would happen If I were to buy Tc body, let say Mazda 6.
I had the same issue. I just bought the 4mm alum wheel hexes (instead of the 5mm) and 3mm offset wheels from HPI. Solved my issues....
__________________
SpeedPassion 17.5R powered TRF417X
My son owns: Team Associated RC18R2
(RC18B2 converted to a RC18R)

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm
silverhkswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:52 AM   #1354
Tech Fanatic
 
silverhkswrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 988
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to silverhkswrx Send a message via Skype™ to silverhkswrx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profoxcg View Post
The car running nicely now that I have plugged in the sensor wire and changed to 64P gears.

I am running
100T spur / 43T pinion : 5.04:1 The car is much more lively and fun to drive.
nice acceleration and what appears to be good top end, although since I haven't been to the track I cannot tell.

My 17.5 from KO seems to be doing great, its only running at 89deg F. This was running the car with not body (but I figured it would be the easiest way to test the temp? the KO esc is cool temp wise. This makes me think I can probably go up a few more teeth on the pinion and get down to 4.5:1 OR I should I get a smaller spur?

I finally changed to HPI X pattern tires and some +3 offset wheels. The track width is 190mm (with tamiya 5mm hex hubs). I guess in a touring class with spec tires and wheels which are usually 0 offset, you need to use different hex hubs to get the offset you need?

Either way, not I just need to redo the wiring install transponder and I am ready for some racing.
I am a complete idiot! I cant believe I didnt ask this before...Were you using the spur that came with the kit? If so, the gear is the modular. The pinion would have to be modular also. You swapping to spur and pinion to .64 both would have fixed this issue.

5.04 is really low. How long is your straight away? I usually start at 6.3 and play with it from there....
__________________
SpeedPassion 17.5R powered TRF417X
My son owns: Team Associated RC18R2
(RC18B2 converted to a RC18R)

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm
silverhkswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #1355
Tech Fanatic
 
silverhkswrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 988
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to silverhkswrx Send a message via Skype™ to silverhkswrx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmGreatDane View Post
Hi guys

Is it possible to reduce the wheelbase from standard setting 257mm to 251mm?
There are about 4 spacers that can be removed to save about 4mm. Measure part # M13(plastic parts set M Part #13) there are 2 that can be moved to shorten the wheelbase.
__________________
SpeedPassion 17.5R powered TRF417X
My son owns: Team Associated RC18R2
(RC18B2 converted to a RC18R)

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm
silverhkswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:19 AM   #1356
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South FLorida
Posts: 1,104
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Profoxcg
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhkswrx View Post
I am a complete idiot! I cant believe I didnt ask this before...Were you using the spur that came with the kit? If so, the gear is the modular. The pinion would have to be modular also. You swapping to spur and pinion to .64 both would have fixed this issue.

5.04 is really low. How long is your straight away? I usually start at 6.3 and play with it from there....
What issue? the issues before was because of the sensor wire. That night I was running the gears from the kit (both spur and pinion 0.6 module) 68T/23

Also what do you mean 5.04 is really low? I am running a 17.5 motor, running at 6.3 that car will be very very slow. That is almost the same ratio as stock. I don't I am understanding.
Profoxcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:55 AM   #1357
Tech Champion
 
TimPotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Boynton Beach Fl > Randoph NJ
Posts: 7,481
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter
Default

Ceasar, are you running in "Blinky" ? if so, you need a lot more gear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profoxcg View Post
What issue? the issues before was because of the sensor wire. That night I was running the gears from the kit (both spur and pinion 0.6 module) 68T/23

Also what do you mean 5.04 is really low? I am running a 17.5 motor, running at 6.3 that car will be very very slow. That is almost the same ratio as stock. I don't I am understanding.
__________________
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:09 AM   #1358
Tech Apprentice
 
IAmGreatDane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhkswrx View Post
There are about 4 spacers that can be removed to save about 4mm. Measure part # M13(plastic parts set M Part #13) there are 2 that can be moved to shorten the wheelbase.
Thanks!
__________________
Best Regards,

I Am GreatDane c'',)
IAmGreatDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #1359
Tech Fanatic
 
silverhkswrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 988
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to silverhkswrx Send a message via Skype™ to silverhkswrx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profoxcg View Post
What issue? the issues before was because of the sensor wire. That night I was running the gears from the kit (both spur and pinion 0.6 module) 68T/23

Also what do you mean 5.04 is really low? I am running a 17.5 motor, running at 6.3 that car will be very very slow. That is almost the same ratio as stock. I don't I am understanding.
thats why I was asking how the course was. Start there and test, tune and modify. I have about 60 laps on the chassis and am STILL tuning the ratio. The course I race on is carpet and constant turns. On the corners, I dominate, but the straight away I am lacking. With the course being mainly turns, I opted for that option. I am running 29/80. @5.99 When I begin drifting again, I will be around a 6.51.

I also recently found out that even though you want to run a 5.5 FDR you can accomplish this by going with a 48p 31/78 (5.46) or a 48p 34/85(5.43). even though the ratios are very close the outcome can be completely different. I believe the larger the spur the more top end, the larger the pinion, the more accel/torque.
__________________
SpeedPassion 17.5R powered TRF417X
My son owns: Team Associated RC18R2
(RC18B2 converted to a RC18R)

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm
silverhkswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #1360
Tech Fanatic
 
silverhkswrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 988
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to silverhkswrx Send a message via Skype™ to silverhkswrx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmGreatDane View Post
Thanks!
measure to be more sure. I think theyre 2 2.5 or 3mm each.
__________________
SpeedPassion 17.5R powered TRF417X
My son owns: Team Associated RC18R2
(RC18B2 converted to a RC18R)

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm
silverhkswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #1361
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: So Cal, Anaheim, Ca
Posts: 330
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I was running 88spur 55pinion and now I'm running a 96 spur and I'm going to drop the pinion to a 51 or 50. I'm running 17.5 blinky with a pretty long straight. I noticed with the 55 pin that it was really slow on the straight but my infield was great. So dropping the teeth on that should improve my speed dramatically and put me in a 4.0 or 4.1 FDR
__________________
Your Hate Fuels My Success!!
If your not scraping... Then your not low enough!!!

TQ Raceway, WCRC, Speed Tech
Shameless121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #1362
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South FLorida
Posts: 1,104
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Profoxcg
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter View Post
Ceasar, are you running in "Blinky" ? if so, you need a lot more gear...
Hi Tim yes, Blinky. When you say more gear you mean more like 4.0:1 ?
Profoxcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #1363
Tech Champion
 
TimPotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Boynton Beach Fl > Randoph NJ
Posts: 7,481
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter
Default

Yep... depending on the timing you have on the motor... but you need to be around 4... Probably lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profoxcg View Post
Hi Tim yes, Blinky. When you say more gear you mean more like 4.0:1 ?
__________________
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #1364
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Posts: 869
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhkswrx View Post
I believe the larger the spur the more top end, the larger the pinion, the more accel/torque.

a bigger spur with smal pinions gives you more power during acceleration (small and technical circuit) and a smaller spur with big pinions gives you more top speed (big circuit with a large straight).
addicted2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #1365
Tech Fanatic
 
silverhkswrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 988
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to silverhkswrx Send a message via Skype™ to silverhkswrx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter View Post
Yep... depending on the timing you have on the motor... but you need to be around 4... Probably lower.


you must REALLY want that top speed!
__________________
SpeedPassion 17.5R powered TRF417X
My son owns: Team Associated RC18R2
(RC18B2 converted to a RC18R)

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm
silverhkswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Selling Schumacher Mi2, Tamiya M02, Tamiya TA04-S, Tamiya TB Evolution 3 Surikarn Ltd st_rob Australia For Sale/Trade 4 12-23-2008 07:37 PM
Tamiya 415 MSX, legacy 2.0, NIP Type A tires, Tamiya towel for sale or trade Fastburn R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 16 09-06-2008 12:45 AM
FS: Tekin Rebel 2 ESC w/ Tamiya GT Tuned Motor & Tamiya AM Radio & Receiver wrxnfx R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 6 06-10-2008 06:40 PM
Tamiya M03 / Trinity Brushes / Muchmore Battery Cooler / Tamiya M Chassis Wheels bluejays R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 12-16-2007 09:31 PM
Hpi rs4, tamiya tt01, tamiya tg-10, tamiya sprint! MORE!!!!! Genuinekid R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 10 09-10-2007 04:21 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:27 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0