R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #1126
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gom View Post
switching to TA06 pro from a carbon fiber chassis sounds like a downgrade to me. the TA06 is a quite heavy. assuming same skill level, i think it can't really compete with the 417, xray, tc6, etc...
I'm not too concerned about weight because I would just buy a carbon graphite chassis conversion from exotek. What I really want to know is the handling characteristics... Do you own a TA06 pro?

Soooo. Let's try this again...

Ok, Everyone is switching to AE tc6's at my local track and I really don't care for associated stuff. However, they handle like a dream from what I've observed as they are my competition...(I run a Sakura zero) I have always been a Tamiya fanatic and loved the last one I owned long ago (Trf 415 Reinhard, great car for the time) Now this ta06 pro impresses me so much that I want to buy one today! I hate getting a kit that I'll be dis-enchanted with it's handling characteristics after I build it!

So, expert guys, (WHO OWN A TA06 PRO) How will this car fair against a tc6 as far as the class I run in????

Here's my equipment: (BLINKY CLASS)
LRP sxx tc spec v2.0
thunder power 17.5
thunder power 5000mah 65c 2s lipo
futaba 3pl 2.4hgz
And many choices of servos

I'm itching to buy this kit, so thanks for your credible advice in advance!

Mike
HUCKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #1127
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Profoxcg

Hey Huckman, have you seen how the TA06 runs again a TA05 by any chance?
I am too interested in the answer to your post. I recently bought a TA06 pro I am done building it but I have not run it yet and I am having some mixed thoughts in regards to the TA05.

I too will run non boosted 17.5 / RCGT
Profoxcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:46 PM   #1128
Suspended

I have had these tamiya cars ta05ms version,trf 415 and now ta06 pro.
The biggest diffrent is that the ta06 is very very easy to drive.
It have the feeling that it will not loose any rear grip but still it take corners very easy.
After I put 50w oil in the front and 40w in the rear it start to show up.
It takes S-corners very easy also.
17.5 motor.
Jerzi

Last edited by jerzi; 11-08-2011 at 12:39 AM.
jerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:58 PM   #1129
Tech Fanatic

Lookin into one of the pro kits, it's amazing how some things have changed in the last few years. That's what I get for being out of the loop lol. guess I'll have to buy one.
cementsurfer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:00 AM   #1130
Tech Master

^ what do you mean by "show up the car" ?
Old 11-08-2011, 12:24 AM   #1131
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Where I race, we have no motor limit and run on foams on a small carpet track. The only upgrades so far on my 06 is different suspension blocks, and am waiting on my titanium turnbuckles.

The car is completely competitive, racing against Schumacher Mi4CX's, Losi's and TC's, I can take TQ and win, it is as competitive as any other car out there.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:38 AM   #1132
Tech Master

^ I would think so, considering how the weight is distributed. The CG/C-MASS is all along the center and low which to me (again I m by no means an engineer) see like a very positive thing.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:40 AM   #1133
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profoxcg View Post

Sorry, bad English here.
I mean that when I changed the oils, the car was after that superb to drive.
Jerzi
jerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #1134
gom
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUCKMAN View Post
I'm not too concerned about weight because I would just buy a carbon graphite chassis conversion from exotek. What I really want to know is the handling characteristics... Do you own a TA06 pro?

Ok, Everyone is switching to AE tc6's at my local track and I really don't care for associated stuff. However, they handle like a dream from what I've observed as they are my competition...(I run a Sakura zero) I have always been a Tamiya fanatic and loved the last one I owned long ago (Trf 415 Reinhard, great car for the time) Now this ta06 pro impresses me so much that I want to buy one today! I hate getting a kit that I'll be dis-enchanted with it's handling characteristics after I build it!

So, expert guys, (WHO OWN A TA06 PRO) How will this car fair against a tc6 as far as the class I run in????

Here's my equipment: (BLINKY CLASS)
LRP sxx tc spec v2.0
thunder power 17.5
thunder power 5000mah 65c 2s lipo
futaba 3pl 2.4hgz
And many choices of servos

I'm itching to buy this kit, so thanks for your credible advice in advance!

Mike
if weight is not an issue since you'll be getting the conversion kit, then i'd say go for it. i own a ta06 pro and the car handles very well after a bit of adjustment to fit my local track's condition.

i am running blinky class 17.5 in my club. so far the top guys are running a mix of ta06, ta05, 417, xray, tc6, tc5, etc. our lap times are within less than a second to each other (except the xray guy, but he is a much more skillful driver). i think the tamiya ta series is definitely competitive, and i can only imagine it going faster after a carbon fiber conversion.

i am actually really interested in how the ta06 feels comparing to a modern standard chassis layout such as what you have (sakura zero). so if you decide to get a ta06, please let us know how it runs comparing to what you drove before.
gom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #1135
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to silverhkswrx Send a message via Skype™ to silverhkswrx

Quote:
to answer here is the background:
the lighter the oil, the more the springs have to work, causing a softer ride. (with the same springs)

I think his comment was referring to car showing up as a "better racer" is when he drops the oil in the shocks causing more grip in the rear allowing more oversteer probably caterign to his driving style.

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm
silverhkswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #1136
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to silverhkswrx Send a message via Skype™ to silverhkswrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUCKMAN View Post

Huckman, you may want to tone the sarcasm down a bit.

Your question can only be answered once the carbon conversion is out and some have raced it. Right now, I believe only one person has raced it an (no offense to MikeR) but his opinion may be a tad biased since he works for the company. I have used Exoteks products in the past and they have never let me down, and I am sure that this will not dissapoint either, but to be 100% sure, I need to use it to make that judgement call myself. When it comes out I WILL buy it and if it caters to my driving style and my lap times decrease, then Its a keeper. If not, I will stick to the tamiya graphite tub.

Everyones opinions are based off the current tub chassis and your comment regarding "buying the carbon chassis to save weight" hints to your lack of experience in racing. There are also benefits and drawbacks to having a carbon conversion that you have not mentioned such as a stiffer chassis (some cases a chassis with more flex-which i think would be the case with the TA06 when compared to the Graphite parts)

Something that will also help is the class you are planning to enlist. Many feel that this chassis will not be very competitive in a sub 17.5 class. However with the carbon conversion, it may. Only time (and tracktime)will tell.

In its stock form, It is a great car. Is it TRF417's competition-in pretty much any class? No. TC6 17.5 non boosted, yes and in some cases better.

One HUGE benefit of the chassis is the center mounted battery. This was a huge benefit that i noticed on the TeamMagic chassis, but team magic parts are impossible to find in the U.S. this is the next best thing. the center mounted battery allows for more freedom regarding weight distribution. The servo is the only "odd ball" sticking out on one side, thats why the esc is to be mounted on the other side (wires running close to the belt) I chose to mount on top of the battery cage.

Below shows the MAIN benefit to the chassis. Look how low the hood is! The wheels are turned, and this is just cut, not sanded....

Last edited by silverhkswrx; 11-09-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #1137
Tech Master

What class do you run? ^ RCGT?
Old 11-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #1138
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
I was just reading the TA05 thread, there I learned that such car is great for 17.5 and such but not for mod due to its motor positioning and design. How does the TA06 stack up, can you run competitively outside of 17.5 ?

I am really thinking in selling my TA06 and getting a TA05. Not for any negative reasons but mostly because I like the tub chassis of the TA05 and the IFS layout. I wonder if you guys who have come from a TA05 can shed some light and link me some postings and tell me why I should not.

maybe Im just having a crazy moment ?
ya, you crazy

no harm trying a TA05 but they never really worked all that well for me.

Ran a TA05R as a grip beast; i think the TA06 is better (stock or hopped).
The 05R had just about every hopup available and it was heaps better than
a standard TA05 tub car... but yeah, it did feel a bit "lopsided" on a bad day.

That said, i have not tried any TA05MS or CF-chassis'd conventional TA05.

However... lets not tar all "TA05" with the same brush... for this is a TA05 too:-

Grip-track VDF

Does it go better than a TRF417? Dunno!!
would've been cheaper to buy the 417 instead though
www.MelbRC.org
----------------
WC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #1139
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
What class do you run? ^ RCGT?
yes.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:03 AM   #1140
Tech Rookie

Got my VBC Racing kit installed last night. Going to test it on the track tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya Ta06-img_1220.jpg   Tamiya Ta06-img_1216.jpg  
Donk is offline   Reply With Quote