R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-21-2011, 07:06 AM   #301
Tech Master

MDawson, any other comment regarding overall handling and balance ? What body did you use ? tires; surface etc...

Are the A- arms in the kit the long or the short ones ? I would bet on the long ones but not sure at all ..;

It is my understanding that there are two whole A-arm sets of different lenght for tamiya TCs. I'm new to tamiya stuff, sorry for the nooob question.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:25 AM   #302
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretic View Post
MDawson, any other comment regarding overall handling and balance ? What body did you use ? tires; surface etc...

Are the A- arms in the kit the long or the short ones ? I would bet on the long ones but not sure at all ..;

It is my understanding that there are two whole A-arm sets of different lenght for tamiya TCs. I'm new to tamiya stuff, sorry for the nooob question.
Initial notes:

Initial notes:
  • The car generates a lot of traction
  • Transferring the Tamiya suspension and shocks to a new drive-train platform is genius - can wait for stiffer chassis (molded and CF)
  • New drive-train is snappy. No belt drive lag to the rear tires. Pull the throttle and instant on
  • Setup wise... a little work is needed to get more weight transfer in the car. The central weight balance of the car feels nice and neutral - but will take some different thoughts for softening the suspension to get more roll in the car
  • Ran with similar race trim as my 417; LTCR, spool, Solaris (H), 17.5 and 6200mah lipo - the car felt like it has a lot of potential
  • The arms are same as the 417 but not the graphite arms set.
MDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:34 AM   #303
Tech Regular

What gear ratio's can be used on this car ? tempted to get one but will need to gear down in the low 3's running 17.5 non boosted at my local tracks.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #304
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendracer_uk View Post
What gear ratio's can be used on this car ? tempted to get one but will need to gear down in the low 3's running 17.5 non boosted at my local tracks.

Running a 88 spur will get you down in the mid/low threes
Old 06-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #305
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy C View Post
Didn't see that this was answered, but if you look on the pic of MDawson's very nicely built TA06 you can see that he is using plug in LiPo's and that the battery compartment has cut away sections that allow access. Not sure how much clearence there is or if this will be an issue once the carbon chassis hits the shops though, but at least they can be used.

Re weight of the car...Are these coming in heavy? I would probably use a spool and diff combo, this would lose a fair chunk of weight wouldn't it - say 30 - 40g - or am i being optomistic there? Coupled with Ti screws and carbon composite wishbones, hubs etc and normal electrics will it be there or there abouts (1350g)?

Car looks very interesting and very tempting - just waiting for a few more race reports, would be especially interested in hearing if the rear gearbox achieves the Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip the designers hoped for...
I have used both bullet and deans lipos with no clearance and access issues.

In its present form it would be a challenge to get it 1350g. Ti screws, alum blocks, alum cvds, spool, r-gear diff and race electronics with no body is about 1330.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #306
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (98%+)

acknowledgement up front... new to TC, first tamiya car... questions below are ambiguous, just looking for good starting points / logic.

Kit will arrive today, I'm a complete n00b, bought this to run gt2 silver can at the july TCS race in MD. Will probably then use it for 17.5 blinky in the fall.

High grib indoor asphalt track, TCS rules + silver can to start as mentioned.

Should I start with kit set up for diff and shock oils? again very new driver on high grib asphalt, so looking for easy to drive (i suck) vs super high performance but requires skills?

What fdr should i be shooting for running the silver can?

Thanks in advance for helping out a ignorant, but excited, newcomer.
jhhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #307
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to charlie_b Send a message via MSN to charlie_b Send a message via Yahoo to charlie_b

Here is my Set up sheet. Nothing special...just right out of the box.

PDF set up sheet will be available on the Tamiya Site soon.

Here is a JPG version for everyone to print out.
CFX Paintworks:="https://www.facebook.com/CFXPaintworks?fref=ts
|HITEC|PARMA|PROTEKRC|SWEEP|IWATA|RPM|AMAIN|CREATE X/WICKED/AUTOAIR PAINTS|TEAMASSOCIATED|REEDY
charlie_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:16 AM   #308
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDawson View Post
Initial notes:

Initial notes:
  • The car generates a lot of traction
  • Transferring the Tamiya suspension and shocks to a new drive-train platform is genius - can wait for stiffer chassis (molded and CF)
  • New drive-train is snappy. No belt drive lag to the rear tires. Pull the throttle and instant on
  • Setup wise... a little work is needed to get more weight transfer in the car. The central weight balance of the car feels nice and neutral - but will take some different thoughts for softening the suspension to get more roll in the car
  • Ran with similar race trim as my 417; LTCR, spool, Solaris (H), 17.5 and 6200mah lipo - the car felt like it has a lot of potential
  • The arms are same as the 417 but not the graphite arms set.
OK; thanks for your answers. Not quite sure if you mean that a stiffer chassis is needed or not. It would easily save 25 grams though; on my tc3 the graphite one saved 35.

Did you purchase the anti roll bars and do you see them as possibly useful at one point ?
Old 06-22-2011, 05:32 AM   #309
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretic View Post
OK; thanks for your answers. Not quite sure if you mean that a stiffer chassis is needed or not. It would easily save 25 grams though; on my tc3 the graphite one saved 35.

Did you purchase the anti roll bars and do you see them as possibly useful at one point ?
For high bite conditions I think we need a stiffer chassis. I used sway bars fit for a 417.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:02 AM   #310
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDawson View Post
For high bite conditions I think we need a stiffer chassis.
How would you compare overall chassis rigidity compared to the TA-05V2 ?