R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #2521
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiyaW1688 View Post
Because the car is so heavy on back with NICD battery, 1520g.

We found the 599xx is better than R8 on track, so we may want to use LWT body. NSX is not allowed on 2014 Japan regional so we assumed it will apply to world too.
lol, that's how heavy my car is at Nationals... minus 3 grams. Guess my car needs a serious diet.

599 is very slow to turn in and leans a lot. I think if HSV, laferrari, 458 are allowed then they should be pretty good. less steering than R8 but more than the 599.

The rule is not LiFe battery?
tobyzhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:41 AM   #2522
Tech Regular

Recently won a TA06 in a race raffle. Thinking of racing this car as USGT/GT3. What are the absolute upgrades needed to make this car competitive? I have some works TC length shocks already from another Tamiya car and the sway bar kit. I assume 1 is DCJ's.
Kyosho RB6, MP9e TKi
Mechintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #2523
Tech Rookie

Hi,
Just bought a (stock) TA06 and also bought a 10.5 3250kV Trackstar motor to have some fun this winter. Last sunday I did a first test on a narrow carpet track and once the car was running (great btw), it suddenly stopped (after 3 mins). A wire desoldered itself, quite logic since once in the pits the motor temp was up to 140C (284f!).

Checked the complete transmission: no issues, runs freely. I ran a 24t pinion on the stock spur which should be 6,14 of total gear ratio. I run a 2S LiPo and the ESC is also new, a Hobbyking X-Car 120A (settings: "DDRS" Start Mode: Lev V and AMTS Timing 0 (changed it from 18,75 default)).

My racing buddy was running the same motor (to have some fun together this winter), in a TB03 and he told me his ESC settings were more agressive. Yet his temperature was around 40C.

What could cause this overheating, does the TA06 need a fan or something else with such a motor? Could the motor be broken? Something else maybe?

I had a lot of fun with the car on the other hand. Added TRF dampers and that's it :-)

Will post a photo later (once more tuning is installed :-) ).
HaCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #2524
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=Mechintosh;13594040]Recently won a TA06 in a race raffle. Thinking of racing this car as USGT/GT3. What are the absolute upgrades needed to make this car competitive? I have some works TC length shocks already from another Tamiya car and the sway bar kit. I assume 1 is

Nothing much needed really, kit hardware will work well, most upgrade we do are for repeat ability tune ability, durability, ease of setup, and lighter weight. Except lighter weight most other stuff won't make the car much faster. With that said, I think cvds are pretty necessary because dog bones are too clunky and tends to reduce efficiency. A set of sway bars front and rear adds more response to the suspension. Use at least the carbon reinforced C hub in front to ensure caster stays consistent. Front spool is a good option for tuning. The rest won't affect pace too much. Trf shocks are great and easy to set ride height by I found stock plastic shock works well with trf internal stuff. You can use shims to fine tune ride height. Aluminum toe blocks are great and add tune ability and less flexible. If steering is too sloppy and flexible for you, try the aluminum ones. Setup and driving are the key to pace.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #2525
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You should run a fan on a motor like a 10.5

The ta06 has very poor airflow over the motor compared to something like a double deck or even a TB. Nothing from below, and encased at the front. Easy to fit one on the upper stiffeners.
cplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:37 AM   #2526
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

is there any other option beside the never available Tamiya one to mount the servo on the other side?

i am getting pretty fed up with the cable management between the belts on my ta06

the Tamiya part is here: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...uct-id=3450520

never seen it for sale anywhere
any other brand sells something like this for the ta06?
atomic garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #2527
Tech Regular

Only other option that I have seen is the RSector Chassis.
Kyosho RB6, MP9e TKi
Mechintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #2528
Tech Elite

Yep same. Options are;

Tamiya
custom
New chassis
Old 10-24-2014, 03:55 PM   #2529
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I just built one with the R-Sector conversion. I figured I had so many TA06 spares this would be a good design to play with. It's probably just going to end up on my display. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya Ta06-image.jpg  
Old 10-24-2014, 05:38 PM   #2530
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I got this car doing some horse trading. Never considered it to be a competitor on the track. After building it, I see potential. Never the less the drive line is not as free as the TB or TA05s that's (INHO) the down fall of this car. I've owned and driven almost every Tamiya sedan since the TA02. I won't invest a lot of money but I am willing to put some focused time and effort on the track with this car in GT 17.5. What ever the results,i'll be smiling the whole time.
xsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #2531
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyracer View Post
I just built one with the R-Sector conversion. I figured I had so many TA06 spares this would be a good design to play with. It's probably just going to end up on my display. :-)
scratch up your turnbuckles huh

you should get some of these to get rid of the plastic spacers too - cheap parts.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #2532
Tech Regular

Drove Torg's gt3 TA06 last week and is impressed by how agile it is. Almost too agile in my opinion. Even with a laferrari body the car still got too much steering. Torg, I think harder spring all around is needed to bring more stability to the car. It's not always true that softer spring gives more traction, if the natural frequency of the spring is not high enough and can't keep up with the damping and direction change then it makes the car wonder around and lose grip.

But after driving TA06 i definitely think it's got potential. Especially at TQ RC I think TA06 should be most suitable tamiya car for gt2 and gt3. At tamiya, I think the lack of straight line speed is a little too much to be compensated by handling.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:14 PM   #2533
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyzhang View Post
Drove Torg's gt3 TA06 last week and is impressed by how agile it is. Almost too agile in my opinion. Even with a laferrari body the car still got too much steering. Torg, I think harder spring all around is needed to bring more stability to the car. It's not always true that softer spring gives more traction, if the natural frequency of the spring is not high enough and can't keep up with the damping and direction change then it makes the car wonder around and lose grip.

But after driving TA06 i definitely think it's got potential. Especially at TQ RC I think TA06 should be most suitable tamiya car for gt2 and gt3. At tamiya, I think the lack of straight line speed is a little too much to be compensated by handling.
And the TA06ms for GT1?

I drove both at TQ, with laferrari and loved it with jaco blues.

I did some TB03 testing and when the track was grippy, stood up the rear shocks (as you mentioned), increased droop (clockwise turn on screw) and I went to Tamiya big bore springs unmarked in front, red in back. This helped a lot. Then I switched from Sustina body to NSX and it was closer to your on rails TA05

This was with the reedy tire. TA06 is set up for B3s.

I'll try a similar setup on TA06 next time.

Last edited by torg; 10-25-2014 at 10:47 PM. Reason: fixed spelling
torg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:46 PM   #2534
Tech Regular

btw I have a spare set of TA06 alum bulkheads if anyone that goes to Tamiya track or TQ is interested 54485,54486,54492 set $100, still in the bag. PM me if you're interested.
torg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:11 AM   #2535
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by torg View Post
And the TA06ms for GT1?

I drove both at TQ, with laferrari and loved it with jaco blues.

I did some TB03 testing and when the track was grippy, stood up the rear shocks (as you mentioned), increased droop (clockwise turn on screw) and I went to Tamiya big bore springs unmarked in front, red in back. This helped a lot. Then I switched from Sustina body to NSX and it was closer to your on rails TA05

This was with the reedy tire. TA06 is set up for B3s.

I'll try a similar setup on TA06 next time.
I think with some tuning your TA06 can be a serious contender in GT3 class. if you could drive that ta06 at tamiya with that tune consistently, that means you have the driving down pretty much. Another suggestion is to tighten the front belt a little bit more. I think out of the corner the initial drive is too rear biased causing it to want to step out. I think B B blocks up front is a better width and try 1.5 million or 2 million oil up front diff should also calm the car down a little more. Now the key to that car is maximize the amount of time you can stay on throttle though out the track and that requires a more stable tune.