R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #1606
Tech Fanatic
 
cementsurfer86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B-town, WA
Posts: 822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhkswrx View Post
Anyone having issues finding spare parts? Im looking for the 2x8mm screws(diffs) and spare pulleys etc.

Its as if Tamiya is allowing the purchase of ball diffs but if you need a spare part you WILL pay a premium for it.
I think I saw that TQ had the screws on thier site, I thought I saw them on speedtech, but not positive. I haven't seen any spares for the ball diffs.
__________________
Jesse Anderson / JROY386 / R_
theRACERunderground - "Budget Champions"
www.theracerunderground.blogspot.com
cementsurfer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #1607
Tech Elite
 
stitchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,794
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhkswrx View Post
Anyone having issues finding spare parts? Im looking for the 2x8mm screws(diffs) and spare pulleys etc.

Its as if Tamiya is allowing the purchase of ball diffs but if you need a spare part you WILL pay a premium for it.
we have the pulleys here. I'll be getting the screws in this week.


edit: ah, you're looking for ball diff parts...haven't seen those yet...
__________________
Speedtechhobbies.com
stitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #1608
Tech Master
 
Travis S's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Moline, IL
Posts: 1,372
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Anyone have a good starting setup for carpet gt2? The track has good grip, but I will be using the tamiya tires.
Travis S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #1609
Tech Adept
 
samshirley00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Wiltshire, England
Posts: 158
Default

i'm currently have soft suspension at the front, harder at the rear, not too low ride height but i am using sorex 24's, and they are really grippy
__________________
M chassis racer extraordinaire!
samshirley00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #1610
Tech Fanatic
 
Aluma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edinburg TX
Posts: 835
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

so how does this ta06 pro handle on outdoor asphalt? Been out of onroad for years and theres now so many new cars to choose from, but I'd like to run tamiya again. I saw a TRF416 new on ebay for $137, but the pro looks better for lipo.
Aluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #1611
Tech Fanatic
 
cementsurfer86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B-town, WA
Posts: 822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis S View Post
Anyone have a good starting setup for carpet gt2? The track has good grip, but I will be using the tamiya tires.
Personally I would start with the kit setup and work from there, it's a great starting point. The only thing I have added is sway bars front and rear (silver ft/rr) and a spool up front. I like 3k in the rear gear diff. works well.
__________________
Jesse Anderson / JROY386 / R_
theRACERunderground - "Budget Champions"
www.theracerunderground.blogspot.com
cementsurfer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:17 AM   #1612
Tech Master
 
Travis S's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Moline, IL
Posts: 1,372
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Car is all setup and ready to go!

Pic #1 - The car balanced out nicely. I did have to put about 30g in the front right. (RR 376.5g LR 378.9g FR 307.9g FL311.9g = 1375.2g)

Pic #2 - I did mount a Novak Ballistic motor. In the pic you can see the 3mm Tamiya motor spacer and I did still have to bend the tabs on the motor.

Pic #3 - All Ready for TCS! To bad I have another month to wait.
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya Ta06-img_0238.jpg   Tamiya Ta06-img_0240.jpg   Tamiya Ta06-img_0242.jpg  
Travis S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:41 AM   #1613
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 3,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis S View Post
Car is all setup and ready to go!

Pic #1 - The car balanced out nicely. I did have to put about 30g in the front right. (RR 376.5g LR 378.9g FR 307.9g FL311.9g = 1375.2g)

Pic #2 - I did mount a Novak Ballistic motor. In the pic you can see the 3mm Tamiya motor spacer and I did still have to bend the tabs on the motor.

Pic #3 - All Ready for TCS! To bad I have another month to wait.
Woah! That is a very heavy rear weight bias on the car - 55% rear, 45% front more or less.

Thanks for posting those figures.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:34 AM   #1614
Tech Master
 
kwkride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 1,079
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis S View Post
Pic #3 - All Ready for TCS! To bad I have another month to wait.
Just come to Omaha, our TCS race is this weekend.
__________________
Jim
-

"If God had meant for us to drive through the front wheels, he never would have allowed us to invent the ring & pinion"
kwkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #1615
Tech Master
 
Travis S's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Moline, IL
Posts: 1,372
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkride View Post
Just come to Omaha, our TCS race is this weekend.
I have been there before and wish I could again. That track is awesome! I just had other things scheduled or I would be there.

Last edited by Travis S; 02-09-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Travis S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #1616
Tech Master
 
Travis S's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Moline, IL
Posts: 1,372
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Woah! That is a very heavy rear weight bias on the car - 55% rear, 45% front more or less.

Thanks for posting those figures.
As for the weight. The motor is in the rear and that is by far the heaviest item in the car. Is this a suprise to you? I figured this was to be expected. Overall the left/right balance was very close.

The only way I can see this being 50/50 F/R and R/L is with a "shorty lipo" moved to the front and the extra weight you need to add would go up front also. I assume the shocks mounted the normal way and putting the ESC in the stock position would also add a bit more weight up front. I just liked the shorter wires where I mounted it and I do not have a shorty lipo to test.
Travis S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #1617
Tech Regular
 
bencason's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Almost Western Maryland
Posts: 392
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis S View Post
As for the weight. The motor is in the rear and that is by far the heaviest item in the car. Is this a suprise to you? I figured this was to be expected. Overall the left/right balance was very close.

The only way I can see this being 50/50 F/R and R/L is with a "shorty lipo" moved to the front and the extra weight you need to add would go up front also. I assume the shocks mounted the normal way and putting the ESC in the stock position would also add a bit more weight up front. I just liked the shorter wires where I mounted it and I do not have a shorty lipo to test.
Travis,
I am saving for TA06 so I am quite interested in your information. Have you had a chance to run your TA06 yet to see how the weight balance F/R affects handling? I don't know if the weight difference is enough to make a big difference [I am still re-learning things after a long lay-off from racing.]

I haven't made up my mind about using IFS vs up-front and, like you, I don't have a shorty LIPO battery. Your feedback could push my decision in one direction or the other.
__________________
The RC cars are in storage but not forgotten
One of these days, I'll be back to racing... somewhere
bencason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #1618
Tech Master
 
Travis S's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Moline, IL
Posts: 1,372
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencason View Post
Travis,
I am saving for TA06 so I am quite interested in your information. Have you had a chance to run your TA06 yet to see how the weight balance F/R affects handling? I don't know if the weight difference is enough to make a big difference [I am still re-learning things after a long lay-off from racing.]

I haven't made up my mind about using IFS vs up-front and, like you, I don't have a shorty LIPO battery. Your feedback could push my decision in one direction or the other.
I have not had a chance to run the car unfortunately. I do not live close to a track anymore, so I won't be able to test it for another couple weeks. The battery/motor design is what made the TA06 appealing to me vs other chassis. I read about every post in this prior to buying mine and there was a lot of good said about it.

I have always liked Tamiya (I have owned a 415,416, and TA05 in the past.) I have gone to 3 FREE TCS races over the past 5 years and have always had a great time. However because of my move, my racing is very limited. I wanted to be able to go to at least 1 TCS race a year and try to make another large race(s). I don't feel that I will have enough track time to really compete in the GT1 class so that is another major reason for the TA06 for me.

I am running the IFS front mainly so I can run the really low front bodies. I like knowing I can run bodies most can't. :P I will be using this car in USGT class where these IFS bodies are legal.

One more thing - The car's start price is low and that is very nice, but when you get the Blue Itch (hop-ups) it will become close to the cost of a graphite car.
Travis S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #1619
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 3,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis S View Post
As for the weight. The motor is in the rear and that is by far the heaviest item in the car. Is this a suprise to you? I figured this was to be expected. Overall the left/right balance was very close.

The only way I can see this being 50/50 F/R and R/L is with a "shorty lipo" moved to the front and the extra weight you need to add would go up front also. I assume the shocks mounted the normal way and putting the ESC in the stock position would also add a bit more weight up front. I just liked the shorter wires where I mounted it and I do not have a shorty lipo to test.
It's interesting for me to see the figures. I was considering trying the car but potentially running a shorty pack, and I would certainly run upright shocks and a "normal" TC body as well.

But with 150gms extra on the rear axle, I don't think removing 100gms from just behind the centreline is going to have a big enough effect to get close to 50/50 - not that 50/50 is ideal, but the ability to build the car like that without a heap of ballast is appealing.

I've run cars in the past with a rearward weight bias (including the similarly in-line HPI Pro3) and although I could get them running well, for my driving style I could never get the steering I needed. Same goes for the TA05. My favourite cars to date have been my TOP Scythe and Kyosho TF5 shaft, both of which have close to 50/50 weight distribution.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #1620
Tech Master
 
Travis S's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Moline, IL
Posts: 1,372
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
It's interesting for me to see the figures. I was considering trying the car but potentially running a shorty pack, and I would certainly run upright shocks and a "normal" TC body as well.

But with 150gms extra on the rear axle, I don't think removing 100gms from just behind the centreline is going to have a big enough effect to get close to 50/50 - not that 50/50 is ideal, but the ability to build the car like that without a heap of ballast is appealing.

I've run cars in the past with a rearward weight bias (including the similarly in-line HPI Pro3) and although I could get them running well, for my driving style I could never get the steering I needed. Same goes for the TA05. My favourite cars to date have been my TOP Scythe and Kyosho TF5 shaft, both of which have close to 50/50 weight distribution.
Just a bit more info for reference.
Lipo: 274g
Receiver: 11g
Servo with Savor: 50g

If I wasn't about out of servo tape I would get you the weights on the rest, but I have a spare of all the above.

I would think with a shorty pack almost to the front and then the weights you need to make "spec" in front of it in the battery area you should be close to 50/50.

I may play around with the car more down the road since I can't race it for a while anyways. I am still waiting for my blue suspension blocks and when I get them I might move the esc to the front and see what that does for the weight.
Travis S is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Selling Schumacher Mi2, Tamiya M02, Tamiya TA04-S, Tamiya TB Evolution 3 Surikarn Ltd st_rob Australia For Sale/Trade 4 12-23-2008 07:37 PM
Tamiya 415 MSX, legacy 2.0, NIP Type A tires, Tamiya towel for sale or trade Fastburn R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 16 09-06-2008 12:45 AM
FS: Tekin Rebel 2 ESC w/ Tamiya GT Tuned Motor & Tamiya AM Radio & Receiver wrxnfx R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 6 06-10-2008 06:40 PM
Tamiya M03 / Trinity Brushes / Muchmore Battery Cooler / Tamiya M Chassis Wheels bluejays R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 12-16-2007 09:31 PM
Hpi rs4, tamiya tt01, tamiya tg-10, tamiya sprint! MORE!!!!! Genuinekid R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 10 09-10-2007 04:21 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:47 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0