Wiki Posts
Search

Cleaning rubber tire rule?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Questions?? Cleaning rubber tire rule?

Our local track uses Solaris hard tires as their spec tire for the Tc class. We have a no tire sauce rule. Is cleaning your tire between rounds with simple green or motor spray any advantage?

I need your input to see if you gentleman and ladies think that this may be an unfair advantage. I never thought about it until it was brought to my attention this week.

Should we allow tire cleaners or just a dry towel to get the dirt off of the tires. Its a dusty parking lot surface.

I never clean mine but hey I'm not one of the fast guys.

Thanks for your input.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I don't see an issue using motor spray, simple green i think can soften, make the tires tacky..
Old 09-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joe Maxey
Our local track uses Solaris hard tires as their spec tire for the Tc class. We have a no tire sauce rule. Is cleaning your tire between rounds with simple green or motor spray any advantage?

I need your input to see if you gentleman and ladies think that this may be an unfair advantage. I never thought about it until it was brought to my attention this week.

Should we allow tire cleaners or just a dry towel to get the dirt off of the tires. Its a dusty parking lot surface.

I never clean mine but hey I'm not one of the fast guys.

Thanks for your input.
No big deal how they clean them. If you aren't a fast guy it won't matter. You will still get beat. At the club level is someone really going to monitor whether someone is using a clean dry cloth to clean tires?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

we clean with lighter fluid on a rag here...doesn't dry out the tires as much as motor spray would.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Good day!

Since it is a dusty parking lot, making your tirers softer/sticky will only hold the dust to the tire better and would cause a loss of traction IMO.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Would it not be best if they only allowed one tire cleaner ? It seems that the various choices of cleaners act more like saucing tires, with some finding the right combo, and others wondering what to try next ! Spec tires with one mandatory cleaning solution is the only way to avoid an endless search for tire cleaners !!!
Old 09-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Thanks for the responses. We decide to run the tires naked. No cleaning or saucing.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Joe Maxey
Thanks for the responses. We decide to run the tires naked. No cleaning or saucing.
Probably the best decision. The "cleaning" products often contain the same family of chemicals as the additives.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:21 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

That should work fine on asphalt but on carpet, new tires every round would be a necessity.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wingracer
That should work fine on asphalt but on carpet, new tires every round would be a necessity.
What exactly are you implying here? That rubber tyres are one-run wonders on carpet without additive? That people should be prepping their tyres at home and bringing a sack of sets to the track?

If so, I completely disagree with both points. I have run sans-additive and sans-cleaner on carpet with rubber tyres many, many times and the tyres work well.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Pretty sure wingracer meant "clean tires every round" or he works for a tire manufacturer LOL