Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Here's a pack you don't have... yet.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
You talking about those slightly smaller drag cells? If you are, it turns out, you can stuff 8 of those in a "shotgun" stick pack tube and it's nearly the same size as a standard six cell pack... not that we tried it...for stock racing...or know anybody that did.

We went to a race way back in the day where they had their own rules and the rules for the battery were so poorly written, that it was legal. nobody else thought of it. It was something silly like, "assembled stick packs only". To which I thought, "...okeedokee..." It was a bit "obvious" on the track, and I came clean on it before the event started. But let me tell ya, there were a few long sad faces during practice. As I recall, I don't know that we were able to make time with it.
no there the one's before the 1200 scr.they where in kyosho stick packs in the 1987 time if i remember right.
they are sub c cells.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

DJ Apolaro <sp?> , a top Nitro race ran 1/12th at an FL sate race a year go and flat out killed the best in the state including Mike Bruce (Team Corally, SMC, EA) and Hector Garcia (Team DPR).

He ran unmatched IB4200's from a bulk 24 pack of cells he bought on eBay. The cells were joined with motor wire because he didn't know batt bars existed (he is a hardcore nitro guy ). He ran a eBay RC12L3 the way it was sent to him. He borrowed a Komodo from me and he beat all of us by a lap every qual and in the main.

The guys he beat were National A-Main guys running their best stuff. Just goes to show what a good driver can do with crap equipment.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
no there the one's before the 1200 scr.they where in kyosho stick packs in the 1987 time if i remember right.
they are sub c cells.
Remember the old yellow Sanyo 1200 SCE? And red Sanyo 1400 SCR. I actually still had some of those old packs until about a year ago when I purged my garage.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
Remember the old yellow Sanyo 1200 SCE? And red Sanyo 1400 SCR. I actually still had some of those old packs until about a year ago when I purged my garage.
Not to correct you, well I guess I am, but I mean it in the nicest way. The sanyo SCE was a 1700 cell. I matched 800 for my battery matching business. The sanyo 1200 was just called a 1200 SC. If I remember correctly, the 1200 SC was yellow with red lettering, the 1700 SCE was Yellow with black.

Steve
Old 01-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Tech Champion

You're probably right. I was only 10 or 11 when I ran those packs so I'm probably not remembering right. I think they must have been the 1200 SC then because I'm pretty sure they were yellow with red writing. The one's I tossed out recently were the red cell 1400's. Hard to remember almost 20 years later... Damn I'm old.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Sounds like I'm a few years older than you, what's really sad is that I could never remember school work worth a darn but I remember what color a cell was that hasn't been used in 24 years.

Steve
Old 01-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Tech Champion

Maybe a couple of years since you were matching the packs I was racing with when I was in elementary school.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Well, since it's turned into a trip down memory lane... I dug into some old stuff and found the most interesting one.

Remember this? These guys kind of changed the industry. This cell was a 1700sce

We're not even touching on the obscure stuff we had in the 80's like saft and gates, and the rest. I wonder if I have any of those left somewhere.

You know, I just went and did about 10 different Wikipedia searches for this old stuff. Nada... Maybe we should somehow get something going over there for the sake of posterity. I believe we have every cell ever made, still new, somewhere. Old stock, dead inventory, don't ask, *ugh*.... I think I found 50-60 new packs of 1400scr's while I was digging around.

We could shoot some pics if anybody else is handy at Wikipedia stuff.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 01-07-2008 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:35 AM
Ike
Tech Master

Heh, I think you and I were on the same page Bob, just came across an old box with some of this stuff the other day...

From left to right...

Futaba Magnum, look at all those settings!

The original Turbocharger, even back then I think it was more expensive than most chargers today.

Novak 410-M1, you got this when you were too cool for the Novak T-4 but not cool enough for the 410-M1X.

Blue batts, Panasonic SCRs (AKA the devil). IIRC, they needed to be charged at a linear rate rather than a pulse charge like the SCE, which is why I needed the Tekin Charger. Also, I think they were better for mod.

Yellow batts, Sanyo SCE (also the devil).

Black batts, Sanyo SCRC (AKA the devil reincarnate)

Notice the sweet homemade battery bars...

Novak receiver, I think I have 3, all of them glitched...

Mcalister wheel disks, If timed just right you could have one fall off your car and attach to the tire of the person thwarting their plans to pass you.

The resistor under the Tekin charger, were our high tech dischargers.

In case anyone was wondering... Why yes, those are Danimals, with some of them being hand me downs from Jason Temme.

I have a bunch of old Aluminum endbell Trinity mod motors in such hot winds as 18 double and 21 triple, as well as a couple Slot Machines but wasn't feeling motivated enough to dig them out.

Don't even ask me why I still have this crap...
Old 01-07-2008, 12:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by corallyman
Not to correct you, well I guess I am, but I mean it in the nicest way. The sanyo SCE was a 1700 cell. I matched 800 for my battery matching business. The sanyo 1200 was just called a 1200 SC. If I remember correctly, the 1200 SC was yellow with red lettering, the 1700 SCE was Yellow with black.

Steve
1700SCE was red on yellow found this pack the other day haven't tried charging it though haven't got a charger that'll do 170mA
Old 01-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Ike
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bugle
1700SCE was red on yellow found this pack the other day haven't tried charging it though haven't got a charger that'll do 170mA
I just might know someone that could sell you one cheap

Corallyman had it mostly right. The 1200 SC was yellow with red lettering minus the black cadica label.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:47 AM
Tech Elite

firstly doesn't any of us have actual jobs? look at the time... ...lol...

Neat stuff Ike. Gotta clean it up and put it on the wall!

I found what I was scrounging for. Brand new pack of cells. Very obscure. I don't remember the time line on this pack. I'm thinking 1984-1987. I just flat cannot remember. Now that I'm looking at them a bit more... I don't think this is the pack I was thinking about. These may have been an industry sample from somebody like Varta. Man, I'm lost now. These might just be more obscure than vintage. How sad is it that I have no idea what it is now... :lol

You know who would know? I bet Stan Witteman would know. That guy was the king of battery knowledge in the 80's.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 01-07-2008 at 01:45 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:51 AM
Tech Champion

And I thought I was bad for keeping some sanyo 1700/2000 in storage LOL, I remember the sanyo 1200sc, as I had one for my first car, Tamiya boomerang
Old 01-07-2008, 12:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bugle
Bugle, I don't know if you've ever ordered from us or not, but if you do in the future, drop me an email so I can have somebody intercept your order. I'll send you a brand new pack like that you can use to help restore a car or something with. No charge.

-Bob
Old 01-07-2008, 12:58 AM
Tech Elite

Haha, I knew it. I was under the impression there was a red 1200scr in addition to the yellow 1200's, but couldn't actually remember or prove it. I found a pack, gimmee a few minutes. And a pack of 1300's. What's really sad is that these aren't vintage photo's. I shot these tonight.

Here we go. And I haven't exactly decided if this is bumming me out or not.

For you whipper snappers. Back in the day, we didn't care as much about tags and IR and stuff. it was all about the date codes. Those 1200 scrs look like "SH" codes (look close the SCE's were "SL") must have been around the transition period (and people hated the SCE's, flakey cell like the P170, see, some things never change). Was a formula that worked off of month and year. "S" might be either 1988 or 1989. I need a refresher on that. When did we first have matched cells with tags?

I found an excellent condition "RD" pack of 1200's in a restored 12L I did, but so far, nothing new in a 1200. The old 1200's were well abused around here.

In offroad, packs were blue and had a Parma sticker on 'em, and you were happy. All you needed to know was 6-cell or 7-cell. Oddly enough, the original Tamiya offroad packs were a hump configuration and hard case pack, like a lot of the current lipo offerings.

and when electronic speed controls started to become popular, you'd have to call around to an event and make sure they were legal, or you had to run the resistor speed control. Depended on the club.

<...tell us another story Grandpa...>

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 01-07-2008 at 02:03 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.