Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Here's a pack you don't have... yet.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 02:02 AM
Uga
Tech Regular

Look at me going 5cells already ~10 years ago These are the famous 1500 mAh NO-NAME cells Well actually this was not for car racing, it was going in my F-5M (a.k.a. Marblehead) sail yacht. As I couldn't afford buying a factory made sailwinch I had to use a self-made one, which was consuming a LOT of power out of batteries and only available AA cells at the time were ~700 mAh
Attached Thumbnails Here's a pack you don't have... yet.-dsc04050.jpg  
Old 01-07-2008, 02:03 AM
Tech Elite

You have junk older then i am.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by corallyman
Bob,

As my brother and I found out many years ago the first time we met you at Raceway Hobbies......you are 1 of a kind.

You should post that in any thread here on Rctech when it gets too serious, it would bring the tension down for sure.

Steve Curry
You and your brother were the guys to beat out at Steen's. in Seattle or Tacoma, or where it was. "...Oh man, The Curry's are coming, we're gonna get killed..." you guys were young punks! That's alright though, my Mullet trumped your fastness.

Now were stuck with Bodine...

Whatever happened to Enrie Beasley? That guy cost me the region champs that year in mod when he intentionally put me in the wall when I was lapping him on second to last lap. He told me so... he thought it was for position, he was a lapper. Ah, the good old days.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Uga
Look at me going 5cells already ~10 years ago These are the famous 1500 mAh NO-NAME cells Well actually this was not for car racing, it was going in my F-5M (a.k.a. Marblehead) sail yacht. As I couldn't afford buying a factory made sailwinch I had to use a self-made one, which was consuming a LOT of power out of batteries and only available AA cells at the time were ~700 mAh
You were a trend setter and didn't even know it.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bugle
1700SCE was red on yellow found this pack the other day haven't tried charging it though haven't got a charger that'll do 170mA

Yes, I will state it this way, we were both correct. I remember this cell very clearly as I matched 800 cells (1700 SCE) plus had to cycle them 5 times each. As Bob correctly put it, most everyone hated this cell. They rarely blew up but they lost thier match very quickly and gave inconsistant performance. Most racers were used to rematching cells back then.

When I talk about cells colors, I usually am talking main color then the Cadnica Box part which is why I said Yellow and black, sorry about this confusion.

The first cell that I owned even before the Sanyo 1200 SC was made by General Electric, they were Purpleish/dark green if I remember correctly. These cells were extremely durable and robust, but when Sanyo released their cell it was "Game Over" overnight for them. ( Remember that slogan, Bob, (easy)). Does anyone remember the G.E. cell?

Steve
Old 01-07-2008, 02:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by UK.hardcore
You have junk older then i am.
I'm probably in the upper 20% of "old guys" for old guy knowledge. My knowledge of the mid 80's is pretty good. I don't know that it's possible for anybody else on earth (and that's a bold statement) to have more new and used gear from that period. I've never counted all the cars from that period, it's several hundred linear feet of wall space. Was about the time we were trying to be more "national" and really dabbling in a LOT of different areas, testing, racing and what not. None of it really valuable, mostly sentimental. like kick-ass tricked out Mugen Bulldogs and Fox's, maybe a hundred RC10's in various configurations, and 12L's and Delta cars and MRP stuff with the occasional AYK, Tamiya and Kyosho snuck in there for good effort.

Bartos is a quality "old guy". Lot of 'em are around, just quiet, full of that "old dude" wisdom. I don't mean old as in OLD, just been around a long time and super dedicated, that kind of old.

The really cool old guys are the guys that are still around that used to gas race in the 60's and 70's. Gotta respect that! Those guys are cool, and have awesome storys. A 34 year old dude racing gas in 1970 is now 72 years old... MAN, that's cool.

We gotta get some of the SERIOUS old school dudes on here. I'm just a rookie/wannabe in the "old school" area.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 01-07-2008 at 02:43 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
You and your brother were the guys to beat out at Steen's. in Seattle or Tacoma, or where it was. "...Oh man, The Curry's are coming, we're gonna get killed..." you guys were young punks! That's alright though, my Mullet trumped your fastness.

Now were stuck with Bodine...

Whatever happened to Enrie Beasley? That guy cost me the region champs that year in mod when he intentionally put me in the wall when I was lapping him on second to last lap. He told me so... he thought it was for position, he was a lapper. Ah, the good old days.
Bob,

The Steen's was Edmonds waterfront which now houses a fishing accessories store. When my Bro and I first met you there we had never seen such a massive collection of stuff (much of which we had never seen before). Your pits were amazing. We were a little blown away and to tell the truth, scared. We thought we were gonna be schooled.

As for Beasley and the Oregon guys, they costed many people Regional championships. By our second regional up here we came to expect it and tried to plan for it. It was good racing with those guys anyways. You have an Ernie story too intersting, he stepped on my car while he was cornering for the A main racers because he had only qualified for the B main. We saw Ernie a few years back, not sure what he's up to now. Bro and I were pretty good friends with all those guys.

Steve

Last edited by corallyman; 01-07-2008 at 02:45 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by corallyman
Bob,

The Steen's was Edmonds waterfront which now houses a fishing accessories store. When my Bro and I first met you there we had never seen such a massive collection of stuff (much of which we had never seen before). We were a little blown away and to tell the truth, scared. We thought we were gonna be schooled.

As for Beasley and the Oregon guys, they costed many people Regional championships. By our second regional up here we came to expect it and tried to plan for it. It was good racing with those guys anyways.

Steve
You know who I just thought of, Henry Cannon. Wasn't that dude an old school 70's gas racer? Seemed like a heck of a nice guy.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:57 AM
Tech Elite

You know who I just thought of, Henry Cannon. Wasn't that dude an old school 70's gas racer? Seemed like a heck of a nice guy.

Speaking of Henry, I really don't know how far back he goes, RC wise. It was funny though, he is the one who started the Seattle RC'ers vs. Portland RC'ers rivelry. He lived with the Seattle guys but he called the Portland club regularly. About 3 weeks before Regionals he would call the Portland guys and make up stuff that we were supposed to have said about them. Then he would tell us smack talk that they were supposed to have said about us. Needless to say it was always more tense than it should have been. We finally figured out what was going on about the 3rd year. He got a good laugh out of that as you would imagine. I miss that guy. He was fun. I have not heard anything about him for 10 plus years.

Steve
Old 01-07-2008, 06:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The Sanyo 1200SCR was an awesome cell. I got 2 Trinity matched team packs (no numbers in the cells, we trusted people back then) in 1989 and ran them for 2 years. I went to college and got my R/C stuff after graduating 1996. I went to a club race in Orlando and the packs took a charge and ran pretty good after sitting for 4 years.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

At least you kept your stuff Bob.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Fun stuff Bob. I am guessing that the white cells were either Safts or GE's which predated the Sanyo 1200's. When I first went to work with MRP, I was told the trick was to weigh them for a match. But then again, this came for Bob Welch who broke Mabuchis in the toilet. Priceless!
Old 01-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
Fun stuff Bob. I am guessing that the white cells were either Safts or GE's which predated the Sanyo 1200's. When I first went to work with MRP, I was told the trick was to weigh them for a match. But then again, this came for Bob Welch who broke Mabuchis in the toilet. Priceless!
Man, I'm glad you remembered that. We did use to weigh cells for a match. Or at least tried. We didn't have the web back then, I probably got the idea from somebody at MRP.

good piece of information.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
At least you kept your stuff Bob.
Sometimes, it's just clutter. Other times, all you get to do is talk about it. If a person never intends to sell it, it technically has no value.

Collections are odd that way.

You're probably way better off.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Sometimes, it's just clutter. Other times, all you get to do is talk about it. If a person never intends to sell it, it technically has no value.

Collections are odd that way.

You're probably way better off.
Do you remember the old 1/12th scale car from Bolink that hit about the same time as the 12L and was right after the Bandito? I was about 10 or 11 years old and I just had to have one... Just couldn't get the 12L because that is what everyone else was getting. That car was a nightmare for me, the front end with the aluminum tube would twist and one little hit you could go from having a few degrees of caster to having about 20...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.