Search
Like Tree13Likes

RCLAB 7even Cars.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 06:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey guys,

I race with Seaball and I gotta tell you-his Lab was flat out bookin last Sunday!!! We almost made him tear down his motor to see the armature!! he's gonna be embarassed as hell that I did this-but its true-his lab is stupid fast-and a couple months ago-I drove it and it was-sad to say a bag!!! he has really come a lonmg way both in driving skills and tuning skills. He allmost nailed a 22 lap run which would have put him 5th in the A or better. he did put it A8 though!!!

Sorry Seaball,
Your buddy-RAY!!!!
Old 03-17-2003, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

yeah ray,
i gotto admit...the car has surpassed my driving skills. that new course tore me apart mentally, though. how about that p2k! it's been sittin' in my pit box since around the champs. too bad i sucked it up hard in the main. over to beaver maybe this sunday. i need track time!

the new stiffer deck turned out quite a bit stiffer than the kit deck by itself. overall the stiffness improved slightly, but it's not apparent on the track yet. so far it's just one of those factors that i'm trying to minimize. chassis flex, that is.

um...i think the atlas v3 and the type t use a heavier layshaft like the lab car. the pullies were too wide to fit in the lab motor mount, so i had to turn them on my com lathe and take off some extra material. they came out nice though. and the new rear deck fits like a champ as a result.

next project:
plastic cvd bones, at least in the rear. they'll be some hacking, that's for sure.

lata
Old 03-20-2003, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

hey ladies,

a while back i was posting about the cvd slop and someone had mentioned getting some from mip intended for an older yokomo tourer. does anyone know for sure if it was the yr4 series that i think it is? i'm looking for some mip axles that fit well. let me know what's up. chrisman??? herminator?
Old 03-20-2003, 05:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Look at the yr4 stuff as i remember ppl changing out the whole front ends on Xpress cars for Yokomo parts. I mean everything too.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

HELLO..HELLO.. SUP SEABALL.BEEN TRYING TO GET OVER A BAD FLU OR SICKNESS...IT'S BEEN DRAGGING ME OUT OF SHAPE TOTALLY,NOT WANTING TO DO ANYTHING.

HOPEFULLY,I GET A CHANCE TO RUN SOON.POSSIBLE EARLY NEXT WEEK.RUNNING ACROSS THE BORDER IS PRETTY TIGHT NOW AS WE KNOW WAR IS GOING ON.SO THOSE BORDER TROOPS,ARE PRETTY TIGHT ON WHAT WE BRING IN OUR OUT.

KEEP ON POSTING DUDE...AND GOOD RACING.
Old 03-21-2003, 03:53 AM
Tech Elite

Where abouts in the cvd's are you getting slop Seaball? I find the kit cvd's very nice to use, mine show very little sign of wear and I love the fact that they don't use a grub screw to hold the pin in, a little dab of thick super glue stops the ring from rotating to a point where the pin may come out. C blades at the diff output is an easy and good mod to make.

Now I gotta go rip my parcel open, MY CUDA HAS ARRIVED!!!
Old 03-21-2003, 09:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

The CVD maintenance kits have been revised recently, suggest you try the new version - it comes with wheel nuts in the packet so you can distinguish it from the "old" ones. New parts have improved sizing and tolerances.
Old 03-22-2003, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

hey guys,
i don't have any slop in my driveline. i fixed that with a larger (.078) pin through the whole joint a while back. they've got about 25 runs on them and the tire wiggles back and forth just enough to feel it. a touch more than a loosely meshed spur gear (48p)! as i posted this last week or so, i'm trying to reduce the weight of the cvd's. in my opinion, aluminum wears too easily, and steel is just too heavy. well, that leaves composite.

i finally completed the composite conversion on all fours this week. i'll find out how well it runs on tuesday night. i suspect i'll end up back with steel up front, but it's worth a shot. i used associated bones, with the lab axles. the associated bones have a larger cavity (5/16 ID) vs. the lab stainless (1/4 ID). i thought if i could find the mip axles, i wouldn't have to shim the ID of the bone down to fit the smaller "ball" of the lab axles. well, i got impatient and did just that. it was shoddy work, but i think i'll get an idea if it's worth doing a better job in the future. the benefits are these:

- lighter weight in the most critical area... rotational, unsprung, and overall weight will be reduced all in one operation.

- availability. i've bent even the stainless bones. i'd love to spend $9 and get 4 composite bones to use from any of my lhs in the future.

most of my motivation came from a performance standpoint. thought the plastic bones will twist much more with a given input torque, i think they'll be ok in stock. we'll soon see.

pics of the rear top deck and cvd conversion to come in the future. man, i finally got a camera, and lose a pc. adversity.

later.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

SEABALL,

VERY INTERESTING COMBO THERE.NEVER THOUGHT OF USING AE DOG BONES.IF IT WORKS THAT'S AWESOME.TIME TO GET SOME MYSELF AND DO THE CONVERSION.IF IT WORKS FOR STOCK...IT BE AWESOME FOR MOD TOO.

DO POST THE PICS ONCE YOU DONE.....TTYL.
Old 03-23-2003, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

hey chrisman,

the conversion is a bit tricky. i've already mentioned reducing the id of the bone cavity. also the ae bones are about .200 longer from pin to pin. that pushes the inner joint just .000ths away from compressing the thrust assembly. i run the acetal outdrives, which may change the length of the thrust assembly from the kit aluminum ones. with these, i had to slot the longer side about .150 longer for the bone to go in enough. the inner pins are bisected by the outside plane of the bulkheads. meaning you can see only half of the pin when looking directly at the front/rear of the car. follow?

the pretty part is that the inner pins are so submerged in the outdrives that, if this conversion is a keeper, i will slice the outs just past flush with the bulks and will likely not use any anti spreading ring on them. they are almost inside the outdrive bearings. how awesome is that? if i do need a ring, i'll try to locate some of those oh so minimal losi metal ones. i hate those giant outdrives protruding out 1/2" or so on each side. that's just the artist in me.

i'm keeping my fingers crossed. i'll have more conclusive evidence after tuesday's practice session. i want so badly for this to work. the car w/o body or transponder weighed in at 1310g yesterday. that's with tiny foams though. 2.1's i think. hehe. figure 1410 rtr with my 300m. thats <50oz! cyclone and xxtra too. trouble is i can't get the car to work with unforgiving foams like this. i need some more alum chubs for my roll center mod! oh...and a job. that should settle the car down with smaller tires.

later,
chris.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:56 PM
Tech Adept

Hi guys, just letting you know my Lab is up for sale. Here's the link.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=15198
Old 03-26-2003, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Arrow i am a golden god

well, well, well. i'm fresh off of our practice and elated at the performance of the ae cvd's. 8 full runs and no breakage or other problems. i think this is a keeper. infact i hacked my outdrives down at the track, so there's no going back. well, not without some investments. they are about 25g lighter than the lab stainless, and should hold up for a long time. it was a punishing practice. so much so, that my bumper was among the casualties. this was just a quick fyi for anyone reading my last few posts. too bad gp's are 40g heavier than my umh cells. i think i'll have no choice but to make the switch. man, it's a big fight getting down to 50oz. (1420g)

ps - anyone see that movie?

later.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

1420g

we run to 1500g here and people strugle to reach that, not that the scales we tend to use are very accurate we don't even bother at club level

My Lab was very close to 1500g at the last event it was measured but I'm pretty sure it'smore like 1540g, I've got plenty of alloy on my lab though, I'm using SMH cells, if GP's are that heavy I better save weight else where
Old 03-27-2003, 05:33 PM
Tech Adept

hey guys,

i just rebuilt my car again, and rplaced my ballends to yellow!, and got some new foams, it looks nice. VERY SMOOTH

my first race is this weekend!!, cant wait, hopefully i will do good.

have fun
nate
Old 03-27-2003, 09:03 PM
Tech Elite

HELLO FELLAS,

WOW...BEEN A BUSY PLACE HERE.....THATS COOL.HEY SEABALL...PICS OF THE MODDED CVDS?...
MY LAP IS ON THE LITE SIDE.I WANT MORE UNSPRUNG WEIGHT TO BE TAKEN OUT OF THE DRIVE TRAIN.NOT THAT IT IS HEAVY...LIGHTER THE BETTER..

ANYWAYS....SEABALL...MORE PICS.
THOSE GP CELLS ARE HEAVY......BUT IT'S WORTH IT.

RSX...GOOD LUCK ON UR RACE..HEEM YELLOW RPM BALL CUPS/ENDS.....NICE ..IT'LL STAND OUT.I WANT MIND IN ALL RED.HEE....HEE...I'LL HAVE SOMETHING NICE LATER.HAVE FUN AT THE RACE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.