Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tips & Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 10:13 AM
Tech Regular

Default perfect gear ratio

run 1 battery pack and at the end of the run you should be able to touch the motor for 3 seconds
Old 06-17-2003, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Gee wilickers Traxxasdude you can copy the tips and tricks section from RCCA!!!

The whole point of this is to offer fresh tips and tricks unlike the old rehashed crap from RCCA....... BTW: the silly putty trick is very laughable.... a T-Maxx or 1/8th truck or buggy diff will chew that stuff up!!!!!

Last edited by IMPACTPLAYR; 06-17-2003 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

OHH wait a minute.... in a pinch you can use paper clips for body pins!!!! Or old CD's as set-up wheels...... or maybe an old pill bottle to hold spare screws!!!! WOW!! I can think of a hundred things I read in RCCA!!!!! Yeah look out this thread is going to 100,000 posts in no time!!!!!!
Old 06-17-2003, 01:18 PM
Tech Adept

Actually i never thought of using cd's for setup wheels.... thats a pretty cool idea... i just might give it a shot someday
Old 06-17-2003, 01:22 PM
Tech Regular

Default Steering Slop and Window Bodyshell detail

Put a plastic bag between the ballcup and balljoint and snap it shut, the bit of plastic trapped inbetween keeps the joint smooth but gets rid of slop!

Use Real Car trim tape to detail around bodyshell windows rather then paint them or cutting out the decals you get with the shell.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by IMPACTPLAYR
Gee wilickers Traxxasdude you can copy the tips and tricks section from RCCA!!!

The whole point of this is to offer fresh tips and tricks unlike the old rehashed crap from RCCA....... BTW: the silly putty trick is very laughable.... a T-Maxx or 1/8th truck or buggy diff will chew that stuff up!!!!!
I just posted it for people who might not get RCCA
Old 06-17-2003, 06:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default EMPTY FILM CANISTERS FOR STORAGE

I use empty white plastic film canisters for storing my screws, circlips, brush springs, and any other small parts that have a habbit of getting lost. I use small computer labels to mark each one so that I know whats in them.

I also use film canisters to store any spare armatures that I have. I use the white canisters and drill a hole in the centre of the top and bottom. You can then place the arm in the canister where it will be held perfectly in the centre. Once again I use sticky labels to Identify the type of arm.

I recommend the white canisters over the black ones because the lids snap on nicely.

Steevo
Old 06-18-2003, 05:54 AM
Tech Regular

Default perfect timing

hook up your motor to a constant suply source at 5 volts, loosen both screws on the endbell (don't screw them all the way out) and twist the endbell until you hear the revs drop and then twist it back to where you heard the highest rpm.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

Exclamation Motor timing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK That was really bad advice ..... at the point where you here the highest RPM's under no load you will be at about 40 degs. of advance timing!! This is not only the absolute lowest torque range, but also the least efficient, and hardest o all of your equiptment from batts to speedo, brushes, and comm!!!

If you don't know how to properly set your endbell timing please just leave it at the factory presets or find someone REPUTABLE to do it for you!!!!!
Old 06-18-2003, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Default 3M products

Originally posted by howard hudson
I agree with the 3m tape.. the blue stuff. easy to work with and gives a nice crisp mask line. only down fall is it is a little more money.
If you ever have the choice between a '3M' product or brand "X" product, ALWAYS cough up the extra cash and buy '3M'. Their products simply out perform anything else on the market, from Tapes, Adhesives, Sandpapers,Threadlocks, etc, everything they make is just better. Slightly higher price, but at a MUCH greater quality.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:11 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Motor timing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by IMPACTPLAYR
OK That was really bad advice ..... at the point where you here the highest RPM's under no load you will be at about 40 degs. of advance timing!! This is not only the absolute lowest torque range, but also the least efficient, and hardest o all of your equiptment from batts to speedo, brushes, and comm!!!

If you don't know how to properly set your endbell timing please just leave it at the factory presets or find someone REPUTABLE to do it for you!!!!!
sorry, but it seems to work for me and I can still run it for 5 min.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

yea it works, but how well
Old 06-18-2003, 08:25 PM

Default Re: EMPTY FILM CANISTERS FOR STORAGE

Originally posted by Steevo
I use empty white plastic film canisters for storing my screws, circlips, brush springs, and any other small parts that have a habbit of getting lost. I use small computer labels to mark each one so that I know whats in them.

I also use film canisters to store any spare armatures that I have. I use the white canisters and drill a hole in the centre of the top and bottom. You can then place the arm in the canister where it will be held perfectly in the centre. Once again I use sticky labels to Identify the type of arm.

I recommend the white canisters over the black ones because the lids snap on nicely.

Steevo
speaking of packaging. alot of our club members use pringle cans to store tires. they are the perfect size. and i think they have enough for just enough 2 sets (8)

this might be common

pringles those chips in those long tubes (edited) just making sure

Last edited by Calvin Ng; 06-18-2003 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

traxxas dude thats what i do than if i want a little more torque id retard the timing a bit
Old 06-19-2003, 08:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default number of battary charges

If you are running at a all day just for practice so you are almost always recharging battaries (unlike some race days where you only recharge a few times) , every time you charge a pack put a small plastic clip on it like the ones that come on bags of bread, than when you get to three clips for one pack, retire that pack for the day. I've been told that you can damage a pack if you run it more than 3 times a day, but if you only like to run a pack 2 times per day than after there's 2 clips on the pack retire it. You can clip the clips onto the wires on a pack. But if you're hardwiring, you might have to be inventive .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.