Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 05:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Has anyone seen issues with the Novak Ballistic 25.5 out of the box?

I received a used TC5 and am setting it up for VTA. The drivetrain is nice and free and smooth. I installed the new Novak GTB2 and ballistic, setup the ESC, etc. After about 10 seconds of running slowly on the pavement, it ground to a halt and started jerking hard. Sometimes it wouldn't move at all after I pulled the trigger. I disassembled the motor, couldn't find anything obvious, ran it again fine for about 10 seconds and it started again. Removing the pinion (so the motor has no force applied), the issue still exists so it's definitely the motor. It also seems to run "rough" like something is out of balance.

Unfortunately they're closed for the night and I'll call tomorrow, but has anyone seen this with these 25.5 motors? All my other ballistics were perfect out of the box.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RokleM

I received a used TC5 and am setting it up for VTA. The drivetrain is nice and free and smooth. I installed the new Novak GTB2 and ballistic, setup the ESC, etc. After about 10 seconds of running slowly on the pavement, it ground to a halt and started jerking hard. Sometimes it wouldn't move at all after I pulled the trigger. I disassembled the motor, couldn't find anything obvious, ran it again fine for about 10 seconds and it started again. Removing the pinion (so the motor has no force applied), the issue still exists so it's definitely the motor. It also seems to run "rough" like something is out of balance.

Unfortunately they're closed for the night and I'll call tomorrow, but has anyone seen this with these 25.5 motors? All my other ballistics were perfect out of the box.
Sensor issue?
Old 08-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

+1 definitely sounds like sensor wire issue.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
I do depends on layout and temps
What's the "safe" temp for the Citrix?
Old 08-30-2011, 09:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

First thing i would check is the charge of the battery.. also if it is a nimh and the lipo cut off is turned on it might be activating it.

if you have any other brushless motors i would try putting one of them on and see if it does the same.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

sensor board or sensor wire.

if it were any other motor, i'd say sensor wire; but the ballistics have a bit of a habit of having bad sensor boards. so odds are it's the sensor board.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slashdriver

if it were any other motor, i'd say sensor wire; but the ballistics have a bit of a habit of having bad sensor boards. so odds are it's the sensor board.
+1

but novak has been really good about sending replacements out
Old 08-31-2011, 12:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Just bought a TC5 and getting into vta. Where can i go to look at all things vta. Like bodies and legal tires and rims. We are limited to the hpi wheel and tire line. And i havent found a wide array of bodies. The tires im not really looking for but different rims would be sweet!
Old 08-31-2011, 04:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeauxkor
Just bought a TC5 and getting into vta. Where can i go to look at all things vta. Like bodies and legal tires and rims. We are limited to the hpi wheel and tire line. And i havent found a wide array of bodies. The tires im not really looking for but different rims would be sweet!
You almost answered your own question. The HPI site will show you all the wheels and tires available since HPI is the only company making them. Most of the VTA bodies are by HPI also. The Protoform J71(Javelin) is very popular and very well made. Pegasus also makes a couple although less popular.
Remember that the VTA rules list everything that's legal so it's a no brainer.
This link to another VTA thread will give you some good views:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...sion-only.html
Old 08-31-2011, 06:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by robk
Sensor issue?
Originally Posted by texastc
+1 definitely sounds like sensor wire issue.
Originally Posted by looper
First thing i would check is the charge of the battery.. also if it is a nimh and the lipo cut off is turned on it might be activating it.

if you have any other brushless motors i would try putting one of them on and see if it does the same.
Originally Posted by slashdriver

Overwhelming feedback sounds like it's sensor board/wire, but I'm honestly not 100% sure. I will run home at lunch and check the sensor wire. It seems odd that the sensor board/wire would cause it to run rough almost like it's out of balance. Thanks for the ideas though. I will swap the wire and give Novak a call today to see what they can do.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default UPDATE TROPHY INFO

**TROPHY UPDATE**

well it keeps getting better and better the closer we get. I have news that we will be extending the VTA class trophy count to the top 10 in the A-main.

So VTA will be 1st-10th in the Amain....thanks to the great sponsors and donations that make this possible...

also I was asked why this event is so big right now...well here are some of the rundown....

First let me say that you have my promise you don't want to miss it. I've gone through all the hoops and fire to make this event as big as possible. For me to do this is straight cause I love my hobby and VTA...period...but you also get

Free pizza from Dominos

Free sodas form Nashrcracer

Sleep Inn rooms with breakfast and double queen bed for $49 a nite and only 5-8 minutes from track.

A lot of top VTA USGT and TC talent that normally would not get a chance to race each other cause of the distance. But at this race you will see the best form the North,South,East, and some West, go head to head for the right to be called NATIONAL CHAMPION!!!

More prizes and trophies than the law should allow, from Novak,Boca,HPI,KRC,Hobby Lobby,Car Quest,RTS,Rockstar Paints and more

A chance to be part of one of the largest onroad races of the year.

New layout, that will give no one the home track advantage

Only 3 classes, which allows for more ppl in each class for more prestige wins and placement.

Gives the locals who have never been to a big event a chance to do so, as well as out of town guys whom have never as well

Photo and video of the event

Cool event shirts, that are only $20

Entry thats ONLY $30 for first class, and only $15 for second

And most of all....FUN FUN FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And many many more....so dont miss out...Im doing everything possible to make sure you all enjoy this event and come back for more next year, Ill be working on that soon..lol..no I really am....

cya soon, and thanks for the support
Old 08-31-2011, 09:45 AM
Tech Master

Overwhelming feedback sounds like it's sensor board/wire, but I'm honestly not 100% sure. I will run home at lunch and check the sensor wire. It seems odd that the sensor board/wire would cause it to run rough almost like it's out of balance. Thanks for the ideas though. I will swap the wire and give Novak a call today to see what they can do.
Not the sensor wire. Novak is shipping a replacement to me, but unfortunately will take a while since it's on the other side of the country.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Not the sensor wire. Novak is shipping a replacement to me, but unfortunately will take a while since it's on the other side of the country.
I recently had the same problem with my sons New Ballistic 25.5. After troubleshooting on another esc to cancel it out it came up sensor fault. Sent it in and they sent a replacement motor. So very well may be your problem as well
Old 08-31-2011, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Flying Monkey
I recently had the same problem with my sons New Ballistic 25.5. After troubleshooting on another esc to cancel it out it came up sensor fault. Sent it in and they sent a replacement motor. So very well may be your problem as well
To clarify (since I realized I wasn't specific), they're sending a sensor board. The tech was almost positive that was the issue.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

To clarify (since I realized I wasn't specific), they're sending a sensor board. The tech was almost positive that was the issue.
I'm pretty sure it's the sensor board too. I had one do the same thing, would work for a few seconds then stop, or it would have a strange "chatter" to it. I swapped every sensor wire I had and it didn't fix it. So I tried a new sensor board and it runs fine now.
The boards are fairly cheap, I now keep a spare on hand, lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.