Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 07:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 2011 USVTA SCALE NATIONALS

hey Rob and Eric...I just noticed that we getting "one day only"....how about Sat quals and mains on Sunday a.m. before noon....

love coming, and will be there...but would like to get two days out of it...keeps me from going shopping with you know who...lol

how about it guys two days...85 cars, at least in one day seems like alot
Old 02-01-2011, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by starrx
ok! ok! so i raced sunday @ the big rug in indy...100 x 40..(something like that)...& a couple of buddies of mines...got the stator...(25.5)...to trade out for their ballistic 17.5 stator...they was geared @ 4.0..all 4 of us...(2 back track im the only 1 that brought the 25.5 motor it self)....

their cars was sooooo fast...i mean they was blowing by ppl on the back streight like they was standing still...i was wondering why they was sooo fast...could it been that the stator was new....could it been the 17.5 motor has a diff rotor then the 25.5 motor....or could it been that the stator was hand wind....

when i stay fast i mean their 25.5 look like 21.5 going down the streight away
the only thing they cant drive that well...but if they could..MAN!!!
3.8 - 3.9 would be a godd gear ratio for R/Car.

several Indy area drivers have raced VTA around the country and done quite well. If they were so much faster than you in the straights, it was probably because they get through the corners so well...
Old 02-01-2011, 09:14 AM
2xs
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BadSign
If they were so much faster than you in the straights, it was probably because they get through the corners so well...
QFT! Corner speed really is the key to winning races.

At my local track there are normally 2 races withing the race. The two fastest guys are running nose to tail carrying more corner speed then us "average Joe racer". Here are the results from this weekends race. IA Fast Track RC A-Main results The results are slightly misleading because the person that had the DNF was in second until a back marker got into him, slamming him into the wall and dislodging his motor. Anyhow the first & last place car had everyone by 0.5sec average all because they can get through the corners with more speed. On our small 60x36 track that is a HUGE advantage.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
ROAR Spec esc...for USGT?....or USVTA ESC list
You can use any ESC on the ROAR spec list or any ESC on the USVTA list.

85+ racers in one day can be done....we have done All-Star Carpet Series races with 100 entries in 1 day no problem. I think Eric still has his normal club racing on the Sunday after the Scale nats so if you wanted to stay and race that Im sure you could.

FYI....the Final All-Star Carpet Series race is Feb 26th @ The Track in Winthrop Harbor....VTA is one of the bigger classes in the series.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by BadSign
3.8 - 3.9 would be a godd gear ratio for R/Car.

several Indy area drivers have raced VTA around the country and done quite well. If they were so much faster than you in the straights, it was probably because they get through the corners so well...
no no no!...they wasent indy racer... they was my race buddys..ppl i race with every weekend(in ohio)...they all just got the 25.5stator that day put them in & was fast as hell.... corner speed had nothing to do with this...when i said they was blowing by ppl i mean it look like they had boost in their cars......im a good driver & im always in the top 3...my vta car was the same speed as the top indy racers.....but my 3friends cars was way faster...the had the timing to the end of the sticker & all of us was runing 4.0....so my question is do the 17.5 ballistic have a diff rotor then the 25.5 ballistic...or is it bcas their stators was handwind...(bcas you can get machinewind stator too)...im just tryn figaur out how they was that much faster...1 was useing gtb2....1 was useing mmp in blinky...the other was useing tekin 212 in blinky.....
Old 02-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Blinky....enough said. At our trophy race a couple of weekend ago, proved why the USVTA has a esc list. Thanks Rob
Old 02-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Blinky....enough said. At our trophy race a couple of weekend ago, proved why the USVTA has a esc list. Thanks Rob
so what about the guy that ran the gtb2??
Old 02-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

your full of it batboy. the real outcome was the 21.5 is still faster and more so when you crank it past the sticker. remember one of them had VTA esc in it. quit crying in your car.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Company Representative

no no no!...they wasent indy racer... they was my race buddys..ppl i race with every weekend(in ohio)...they all just got the 25.5stator that day put them in & was fast as hell.... corner speed had nothing to do with this...when i said they was blowing by ppl i mean it look like they had boost in their cars......im a good driver & im always in the top 3...my vta car was the same speed as the top indy racers.....but my 3friends cars was way faster...the had the timing to the end of the sticker & all of us was runing 4.0....so my question is do the 17.5 ballistic have a diff rotor then the 25.5 ballistic...or is it bcas their stators was handwind...(bcas you can get machinewind stator too)...im just tryn figaur out how they was that much faster...1 was useing gtb2....1 was useing mmp in blinky...the other was useing tekin 212 in blinky.....
Could you clarify? Were all motors teched at this race? All Ballistic stators are hand-wound--machine winding is not possible with this style motor. The only legal rotors we offer for Ballistics are 12.3mm. Our 13mm rotors are not approved.

If everyone is running a spec/spec mode esc with a 25.5T motor, the racing should be somewhat equal---not "blowing by".
Old 02-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
your full of it batboy. the real outcome was the 21.5 is still faster and more so when you crank it past the sticker. remember one of them had VTA esc in it. quit crying in your car.
Correct. Are guys running the 21.5s and 25.5s in the same event?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
im confused..the timing wasent past the sticker it was right @ the end of the sticker...they had 17.5 motors but changed out the stator & put in a 25.5 stator........cant anyone tell me where the speed came from??
Old 02-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Moving the sticker?

This has been done, I believe Rob established a means for checking this relative to the screws but can't recall what it was.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
Could you clarify? Were all motors teched at this race? All Ballistic stators are hand-wound--machine winding is not possible with this style motor. The only legal rotors we offer for Ballistics are 12.3mm. Our 13mm rotors are not approved.

If everyone is running a spec/spec mode esc with a 25.5T motor, the racing should be somewhat equal---not "blowing by".
motors wasent tech it was a club race
i got the hand & machine wounds from 1 of my friends...he said when he order it ..it show 2diff types & he said the hand wound 1 was like 4 or 5bucks more thats were i got that from...but the guy with the gtb2 was the fastest...so maybe he did something to the motor...but it look like all 3 of them had boost....but all of them said... all we did was change the stator & 2 of the brought it that day @ the hobby store in r/car (the race track)
Old 02-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo

I think what he's saying (from all that mess) is that they took rotors from a 17.5, put them in a 25.5 can, cranked in full mechanical timing on the can, and ran them on "Blinky" mode, all with the same 4.0 FDR......and their MOTORS were running the cars faster....fast enough to walk away from everyone else with virgin 25.5s.

What he's asking, I think, is "Is there some difference in magnetic strength of 17.5 vs. 25.5 rotors that could account for the difference in performance?" and/or "Do the hand wound rotors make the motor faster?"

I could be off base, though. Pretty confused, myself.

Last edited by Buckaroo; 02-01-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Company Representative

motors wasent tech it was a club race
i got the hand & machine wounds from 1 of my friends...he said when he order it ..it show 2diff types & he said the hand wound 1 was like 4 or 5bucks more thats were i got that from...but the guy with the gtb2 was the fastest...so maybe he did something to the motor...but it look like all 3 of them had boost....but all of them said... all we did was change the stator & 2 of the brought it that day @ the hobby store in r/car (the race track)
Because our 25.5T motors were originally hand-wound for USVTA and are not "spec" motors, we list the replacement stators in this category:

Ballistic Specialty Hand-Wound Stators

There is an extra 2.00 charge for the 25.5T to cover the cost of additional labor and materials (copper).

We have Tech Notes (PDF) on Ballistic motor timing linked from this page:

BALLISTIC MOTOR TIMING INFORMATION

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.