Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
details....come on share...also link isnt working..
Basically, about a hundred people paid in advance to race the most basic car in existence, rain or shine, for 24hrs straight. Even two months on, I still have trouble putting the event into words.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Quite frankly, the USVTA rules are extremely well suited to endurance racing. As long as the tires can go a reasonable distance on the event's track surface, a VTA enduro like our TT01E event would be a no-brainer.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:17 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

details....come on share...also link isnt working..
you can read more about the event here -- it was a truly amazing and tough event that i'm happy to say my team won -- http://racerlog.com/wiki/Tight_Shirt_Racing
Old 11-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Im "J"
Old 11-30-2010, 06:07 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
No, you should use the 0mm offsets up front otherwise you may have issues the the tires rubbing the fenders while turning. Even with the 26mm wide 0mm offset tires/wheels up front, the tires will be quite close to the fenders with the bodies slammed down low.
Thanks Greg, are there any updated rules for running a brushed set up?
27t and 2s lipo....
Old 11-30-2010, 06:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

There has never been a LiPo/Brushed combo officially recognized for VTA. Check with your local club to see if they've made up some sort of "parity" option, but I'd be surprised if anybody has done so. 27T brushed was always run with 4-cell NiMH which is a bit slower than the current 2s/25.5 official spec. A 2s/27T should be much faster.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:34 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

ah....Our local track must have made up some kind of brushed rule.
Its an asphalt track out doors.

I'll be racing in door carpet VTA.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Tech Champion

if you really need help with that, we have the magic formula...pm me if needed
Old 11-30-2010, 06:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

sent.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:06 AM
Tech Elite

I was able to get new body done for my VTA over Thanksgiving. I know its got "neon" on it, but I just couldn't help myself. Base coat is airbrushed white Faskolor backed up with Rustoleum Crystal Clear so that I can wash it if needed.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-vtacamaro2010versionih.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-vtacamaro2010version-016r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-vtacamaro2010version-021r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-vtacamaro2010version-022r.jpg  
Old 12-01-2010, 04:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Nice and clean. Good work!
Old 12-01-2010, 04:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

When will we see Novak's more compact esc design? December when it's released? I would like to run Novak but it's size won't work for me.

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
We will want to test the GTB 2 as configured for a more compact install anyway--just to see how well it works with the high-wind motors. Upthread, there was a complaint about the difficulty of installing our GTBs in TC chassis---which led to the discussion of offering the GTB 2 with these modifications.

The soldered-in switch suggestion was offered because the switch's PCB plug is taller than the LP HS I mentioned. You can also install the GTB on its side, especially if no fan is required. If approved, we will configure the GTB 2 the way USVTA racers want it. We are also in the process of updating and Beta testing our Havoc Sport 2S esc----same specs, new case, HS and expanded (on-board) programming---just like the GTB 2.

Someone also commented about preferring to plug-in a new switch harness rather than soldering the wires. I believe an "unsung" and often unmentioned, advantage of our escs is the ability to perform needed repairs without returning the item to us for service. Input harnesses, switches, power capacitor harnesses, power wires---all replaceable without soldering to the internal PCB.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

We have had some guys wanting to run 27T with a 2s lipo and we have pushed their FDR Up into the 7 range to try and make it similar. The only real issue is they have got loads more torque but since we only allow simple green for tires the traction is quite low which a softer motor is better.

For those running a standard traction compound it will be an issue. I would say a 1S lipo might be tried with unlimited gearing but again that is getting away from the keeping things standard purpose to this class
Old 12-01-2010, 05:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

2s/27 turn is about the same as 17.5 on the very early, NO BOOST, brushless speed controls.

I used to run a 27 turn for fun at my local track in RCGT over a year ago. It was fun while it lasted.... and then performance dropped off and i went back to brushless.

I guess the real question you should pose to your club members is why do they want to hold on to old technology? Brushless motors last pretty much forever with little to zero maintenance. Their power and efficiency BARELY drops off over time.

Now that 25.5 is the brushless motor of choice my club discovered that we could run two and sometimes three 5 minute qualifiers back to back (to back) without charging and with minimal loss of performance.

I understand change can be scary for some, and maybe it's a money issue since 27 turn motors can be had dirt cheap. But brushless is very, VERY nice.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:03 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RCknight
When will we see Novak's more compact esc design? December when it's released? I would like to run Novak but it's size won't work for me.
what chassis are you running that the esc wont work?
Old 12-01-2010, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

what chassis are you running that the esc wont work?
I found them to be usable, but a massive PITA in most chassis I ever used them in. Not my first choice, when everything else out there is much smaller in footprint now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.