Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Old 11-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Quick question regarding the trade ins.... I've got a GTB that came with a used TC5R I bought. It works fine, but the case has a small hole melted in it below one of the motor contacts, I'm guessing from a soldering iron tip. Is it still tradable?
Old 11-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Both of the tracks here in the Indy area seem to really like a final drive of 3.9-4.0 with the 25.5 motors

Im running a 51/100 with my tc5 (internal ratio of 2.0). The tc3 has an internal ratio of 2.5, so you would want somewhere around a 1.6 ratio to get to a 4.0 final drive.

I dont remember what I was running with my tc3 to get that ratio, maybe someone thats still running a tc3 can chime in, but for some reason i think a 50/80 will fit.

After an 8 minute main, my motor is coming off at 160 and I have quite a bit of timing put in on the ballistic.

Hope this helps

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
I've got a standard Associated TC3 that I'm using for VTA. Just bought the new 25.5 Novak Havoc Pro Ballistic system to go in it.

What is the TYPICAL Spur/Pinion combo for this set up in VTA? Sure, I want to go fast, but I don't want to replace my system in a year or run it too hot. I don't think I'll ever have fast enough reflexes to beat the long-timers. But I want to be competitive.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by TAorama
Quick question regarding the trade ins.... I've got a GTB that came with a used TC5R I bought. It works fine, but the case has a small hole melted in it below one of the motor contacts, I'm guessing from a soldering iron tip. Is it still tradable?
Yes
Old 11-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (94%+)

Guys. I love the vta class we run here: 17.5 2cell lipo same Hpi tire, and the old school body. I ran my first touring car race in prob 7 years last weekend and had a blast in this class. it don't take alot to be fastnthe guy that was tq had a freaking Hpi sprint chassie. I know vta in most places are runing 25.5 am I wrong?
Old 11-23-2010, 11:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Correct, most places are running current set of rules which mandate the 25.5 motor. Some tracks are still running the old rules (21.5 motor/open speedo).

Glad your having fun with the touring cars. I just discovered them myself about 3 months ago and absolutley love them.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jaggededge
Getting my parts together for a VTA.
Picked up a used Xray T2, vintage wheels/tires, Mustang body from amain and a Havoc 2s/25.5 Ballistic combo from Novak.

Looks like some guys just over the border in Canada are running these so I hopefully have a place to race.
I used to live in East Aurora, NY...bought all my R/C stuff at Field's Hobby Center. I'd race with you if I was still there!
Old 11-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
According to our handy-dandy Trade-In programs, your prices would be:

GTB to Havoc Pro...............59.00
SS Pro 21.5 to SS 25.5.......46.00 or
SS Pro 21.5 to Bal 25.5.......69.00

plus shipping

I have directed CS to allow replacement of Havoc Pros, GTBs (any) and SLYDRs with any of these for 59.00. We can change the page next week. Since we are coming to the end of offering these escs, we might as well allow this mix 'n match replacement.

TeamNovak ESC Trade-in program
TeamNovak BL Motor Trade-In program
what about the GTB2...can I send my GTB and get the 2, for 59.00?

also he is my TC5 Havok 25.5
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
tc5 25.5 2.bmp (56.3 KB, 124 views)
tc5 25.5 side 2.bmp (56.3 KB, 99 views)
tc5 25.5.side.bmp (56.3 KB, 110 views)
Old 11-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Tech Champion

hey Novak 2, Ive had a couple of guys locally having issues with the Havok cutting off after a few minutes of running...temps are around 80-100 on motor and 80 on esc....
Old 11-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Point taken...but I do like the FDR rule and you explained why in your own words. Matter of opinion I guess. I think many can agree, I argue because most consumers like to buy once. I bought a Tekin back when it was legal for VTA and it's taken awhile to get the gear I want. Now I'm back to buying another. Frustrating. Your right, I've been complaining about it, but, lol, but I've waited this long, over spent, and now I need tire/bodies for another class or buy another speedo. lol My fault of course, but regardless I'm upset about it. I'll stop, but now I have to wait for a SP to be in stock. lol

Originally Posted by padailey
Fixed gearing does NOT need to happen. You are right we run a 5.0 gear ratio in Omaha. We don't flaunt it around or try and draw others to do it also. It works here because of the drivers we have and the classes we run. There needs to be a clear distinction between our USGT lap times and VTA times. The FDR restriction allows that... that is really the only reason. It works for us but I have gone to the nationals and can see that it is not necessary for a national ruleset. Everyone else has conformed to the new rules many have bought a second car taken their old VTA stuff and now run USGT.

Get off the fence and pick a side. There is no USGTVTA! You can read what the classes were so pick one and run. You have been going on about cars and rules for months now.... plenty of time to get what you need and/or to see that the rules would not be bent just for you. There has been plenty of used stuff available that it would cost you very little to get what you need. We just had 50 entries last Wednesday night! So get what you need and come have some fun with us... or go buy more high end stuff and sit on here and bitch that you can't run it. I know what sounds better to me but it's up to you!

Last edited by RCknight; 11-23-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Tech Champion

most ppl will buy two bodies and at least 2 sets of tires for the year...bingo....Novak GTB or Havok series...
Old 11-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

fair enough, just want to get some other point of views out there. The idea of buying once for those that wanted to continue to move up in classes.

Originally Posted by robk
Yeah, that's why the Novak Kinetic, the Speed Passion GT 2.0 & 2.1, the LRP SPX, SXX, and TC spec all all illegal too.

Sorry if you don't like the rules, but they are not changing.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:39 PM
RMI
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Decisions, decisions

I'm certain that what I'm about to ask is burried somewhere deep inside this wealth of information, but I'm hoping someone out there could give me a quick answer. I'm going to run my Xray T2 in VTA with a HPI 1965 Shelby GT350 body, but I'm not sure which rear wheels to use to keep them inside the fenders. Should I run 26mm 0 offset wheels or will the 31mm 6 offset wheels stay nicely tucked inside?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RCknight
fair enough, just want to get some other point of views out there. The idea of buying once for those that wanted to continue to move up in classes.
Considering that based on your posts and you bought a xray t3 11 it appears money is real tight.

Let me help you out.

http://www.speedpassion.net/us/produ...?p=12280&c=ESC

http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...4.0.0.0?pp=10&

All under $60.00. I'm sure you spent that on VTA body and tires. I would think spending that on a ESC wouldn't be too painful and when you move up you can use your tekin.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

No choice really. Per the rules, you have to run 26mm up front, 31mm in the back.

I've never run that body, but i've also never heard anyone complain about tire rub in the fenders. I've always run the Camaro which has never had a problem.

Maybe someone who has that body can chime in...

Originally Posted by RMI
I'm certain that what I'm about to ask is burried somewhere deep inside this wealth of information, but I'm hoping someone out there could give me a quick answer. I'm going to run my Xray T2 in VTA with a HPI 1965 Shelby GT350 body, but I'm not sure which rear wheels to use to keep them inside the fenders. Should I run 26mm 0 offset wheels or will the 31mm 6 offset wheels stay nicely tucked inside?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 11-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Tech Champion

here is some
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-dscf2539.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-100_2614.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-music-city-championship-003.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-wednesday-night-ta-005.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-imgp2816.jpg  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.