Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by starrx
is there a big difference (if any)..in the ballistic 25.5 motor timing vs the ss 25.5 motor.....if both was cranked all the way up.......from what i was told is that the ballistic motor has more timing then the ss motor.....if this is the case...wouldnt this make VTA still unfair..(not a true spec class)
The motors are essentially the same. Racers in general need to get out of the thought that by loosening 3 screws and advancing the timing the motor gains more power. The more you mess with the initial timing, the hotter it gets during a run because it's probably still geared wrong. Like Novak Two said, they are already set to the optimum 30* advance. You'd be better off putting better bearings in the motor so they don't seize. And as he's said before, the sticker, its placement on the can and they way it aligns with the screws is a dead giveaway to a tech inspector.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
All of our BL motors (from the beginning) have been set here at the factory to 30 degrees (see info linked above); both the SS Pros and the Ballistics are set the same. The SS Pros were not designed to allow timing adjustments, although racers changed the factory timing anyway.

Our escs are optimized to run with our BL motors----you do not need to adjust the motor timing.
i understand all that...but you didnt answer the question...if both motor timing is cranked up...do the ballistic have an edge...the realitiy is 90% of the ppl run brushless turn the timing up....there isnt a rule that say no timing in the motor....i just wanna know...before i buy 1......thanks!
Old 10-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by starrx
i understand all that...but you didnt answer the question...if both motor timing is cranked up...do the ballistic have an edge...the realitiy is 90% of the ppl run brushless turn the timing up....there isnt a rule that say no timing in the motor....i just wanna know...before i buy 1......thanks!
The Ballistics have almost limitless timing advance possibilities; there is no mechanical stop.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
The motors are essentially the same. Racers in general need to get out of the thought that by loosening 3 screws and advancing the timing the motor gains more power. The more you mess with the initial timing, the hotter it gets during a run because it's probably still geared wrong. Like Novak Two said, they are already set to the optimum 30* advance. You'd be better off putting better bearings in the motor so they don't seize. And as he's said before, the sticker, its placement on the can and they way it aligns with the screws is a dead giveaway to a tech inspector.
so they going to be teching motor timing??...& i have a 21.5 ss that the timing was cranked on it for two years & gear @ 3.7 & temps never got over 130* in 90* weather....& my friend ran a 21.5 ballistic with the motor timing up & you could tell the difference in speed...the only thing help me out is that i can drive alil bit
Old 10-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

The Ballistics have almost limitless timing advance possibilities; there is no mechanical stop.
thank you...because we ran sportsman 17.5(no timing or boost in the esc) this year outside & the ppl that had ballistic motor was fast as ppl running timing in our reg.17.5 class...so we had to put a limit on those motors as of how much timing you can put in it...they are great motors...now i just got to get me 1
Old 10-06-2010, 07:44 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default need a little info

Guys I am new to vta, I am looking in to buy a hpi sprint 2 sport. I seen all the option parts from hpi. What really helps out the car the most. Like ball diffs, graphite chassis, and threaded shocks.
What do u guys change out for performance? ??
Old 10-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Tech Adept

I currently race this hpi with success on a asphalt track. Using a 68 Camaro body The only changes I have made are.. Associated silver springs front and rear with 15wt shock oil, ball diff in the front (set tight-almost spool like) and the alloy spur gear mount. With a good suspension setup there is no reason you cannot be competative with this car.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Ballistics need to be timed no more than the last tic on the sticker which should be 45*, which should be the same as a cranked SS. If you are past the last tic you are ILLEGAL
Old 10-07-2010, 03:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Ballistics need to be timed no more than the last tic on the sticker which should be 45*, which should be the same as a cranked SS. If you are past the last tic you are ILLEGAL
What do you mean by "cranked SS?" I thought the SS was not adjustable. I'm asking all these questions because I'm our tracks Tech Inspector and need to know what I'm looking at.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2010, 05:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by woodys3b
What do you mean by "cranked SS?" I thought the SS was not adjustable. I'm asking all these questions because I'm our tracks Tech Inspector and need to know what I'm looking at.

Thanks
the timing ring on the SS motor can move if you loosen the 3 screws on the endbell...the movement isn't much, but there is some movement - pretty much there is a 'notch' in the timing ring, that when turned counter-clockwise, will move closer to the solder posts

that's how you 'crank' the timing on the SS motors...the SS motors do not have the same amount of movement that the Ballastics has
Old 10-07-2010, 05:59 AM
2xs
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOSIRACER77
Guys I am new to vta, I am looking in to buy a hpi sprint 2 sport. I seen all the option parts from hpi. What really helps out the car the most. Like ball diffs, graphite chassis, and threaded shocks.
All of those things you listed help the car. But I would add RPM ball cups to the list and replace all or the steering ball cups.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:07 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

LOSIRACER77 - One of the RTR Sprint 2's comes with a 69 Camaro body.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:33 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by LOSIRACER77
The Sprint2 sport is a great (first) VTA car because it gets you the body, wheels and tires without extra expense. So thats almost $80 saved. However as you race, it would be a good idea to pick up a used, well anything that was a hot TC a few years ago. Dont get me wrong I love the idea of the Sprint2 sport to get in, and for VTA as a beginner the car will start out more capable than the driver, but as you grow the best upgrade will really be a better TC.

I hope I havent confused you because VTA is meant to be less expensive and the hottest TC is not supposed to be needed. So you may find yourself competitive with the sprint2 and needing nothing. If you are the type that just likes to buy hop ups, well then thats just pure joy and I wouldnt want to take that away from you. You might want a spool for the front. Set of springs. Blow the heavy grease out of your bearings with WD40, or motor cleaner and then oil them. (I like trumpet oil).
Old 10-07-2010, 06:58 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

One thing, the 69 Camaro is not yet on the VTA approved bodies because it's not yet available as a separate part. But, it will probably be added when it's available.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:59 AM
Tech Champion

But that factory setting is the best overall performance. Is that not correct? Is it not better to make gearing changes from there? Or is it just that some want to advance the timing for some straightaway speed? I would think you would lose it in the infield.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.