Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 04:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Let it be known that I was NOT lobbying to allow the Tekin RS in any way. It's apparent that some thought otherwise... I am well aware that the Tekin RS has no place in VTA and never will and besides I am already in compliance and ready for the rule change in September with my Novak.

My point was to not let the Citrix be a benchmark to other manufacturers as it is NOT on the approved list for September (yet). I will say that I hope it does make the list as I would rather run Speed Passion over Novak but that's just my personal preference. No shame in lobbying for a non programmable ESC
Old 07-31-2010, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Maybe a poll should be put up for 30 days and let the racers make the choice.

Fair way of doing it.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lidebt2
Maybe a poll should be put up for 30 days and let the racers make the choice.

Fair way of doing it.
I could not disagree more.

The rules are set and published. They make sense and are well thought out.

The racers (we) have a choice. We can choose to participate in this class or we can choose to not participate in this class.

Nuff said.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by woodys3b
The racers (we) have a choice. We can choose to participate in this class or we can choose to not participate in this class.

Nuff said.
That IS what it comes down to.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Maybe the next thing that needs to be discussed are what tracks and clubs will be running these rules? So people will know where to race them.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trerc
If slow was the goal then I don't understand why the FDR limit was lifted, I mean whats the point in making all these changes if we are gonna be allowed to gear the cars to run at similar speeds that we are currently running? If the racing is set to be slower and so even then maybe the FDR should be set to 4.2 instead of everyone trying to chase gear.
I had a hand in finding a good gear ratio for a TC5 running a 25.5 against a bunch of 21.5s, and can say with firsthand experience that we won't be able to get the last 2/10ths out of the 25.5 trying to make it equal to the 21.5 @ 4.2FDR. But alas, that was never the point all along anyway. Once you get to personally wheel a 25.5, you'll probably agree that the open FDR won't be a bad thing. Less to tech, less to wonder about who's cheating by a tooth, etc.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
Once you get to personally wheel a 25.5, you'll probably agree that the open FDR won't be a bad thing. Less to tech, less to wonder about who's cheating by a tooth, etc.
Concur.

Plus, when you spec an FDR for a class you are probably going to choose something that keeps everyone's motor temps well below 160 so people aren't hurting equipment. Having an open FDR rewards the smooth driver who can keep his corner speed up. This kind of driver can run taller gearing without overheating stuff. And this class is all about rewarding good driving skills.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Well my son and I ran our 25.5's today at the HobbyTown Parking lot races at Indianapolis. I was pleasantly surprised at how well they ran. We beat some 21.5's and figured out a few things for the next race to try. The big thing is you need to be smooth and not over drive the car. Both our cars are 100% Sept 1 rules legal. Funny thing was there were alot of people commenting on the little driver dude, and the pine tree air freshner that my son made for my car.
Good Call Rob and everyone that made the new rules.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smokefan
Well my son and I ran our 25.5's today at the HobbyTown Parking lot races at Indianapolis. I was pleasantly surprised at how well they ran. We beat some 21.5's and figured out a few things for the next race to try. The big thing is you need to be smooth and not over drive the car. Both our cars are 100% Sept 1 rules legal. Funny thing was there were alot of people commenting on the little driver dude, and the pine tree air freshner that my son made for my car.
Good Call Rob and everyone that made the new rules.
First let me say that I will be September first compliant by Sept. 1. But, not to ruffle any one's feathers, I think that this is some interesting information about the new motor rules.

The thing that I think is interesting is that, isn't the new motor rule supposed to slow everyone down too a closer racing speed? Here we have a 25.5 setup racing against 21.5's and not doing to bad it seems. I thought that the new rules would change the speed of VTA drastically. Are we talking about seconds or tenths of a second with the different motors?

Just wondering, please don't flame me.

Last edited by CSeils; 08-01-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Not much slower because a 21.5 vs a 25.5 isnt as drastic of a change compared to droping 4 turns on a brushed motor. You havent added or any more rotational mass to the motor just a bit more resistance in the windings but it should be slower if both are no timing.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CSeils
First let me say that I will be September first compliant by Sept. 1. But, not to ruffle any one's feathers, I think that this is some interesting information about the new motor rules.

The thing that I think is interesting is that, isn't the new motor rule supposed to slow everyone down too a closer racing speed? Here we have a 25.5 setup racing against 21.5's and not doing to bad it seems. I thought that the new rules would change the speed of VTA drastically. Are we talking about seconds or tenths of a second with the different motors?

Carl if your remember what the 4 cell 27t setup felt like, that is what the 25.5 is close to. That being the case, the cars are on the throttle more, because you can't point and shoot them. You need to carry corner speed. The other thing is that watching a couple of the guys who have been running them already down here, it is easier to drive for them. There's a lot less rip to get you in trouble.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trerc
Let it be known that I was NOT lobbying to allow the Tekin RS in any way. It's apparent that some thought otherwise... I am well aware that the Tekin RS has no place in VTA and never will and besides I am already in compliance and ready for the rule change in September with my Novak.

My point was to not let the Citrix be a benchmark to other manufacturers as it is NOT on the approved list for September (yet). I will say that I hope it does make the list as I would rather run Speed Passion over Novak but that's just my personal preference. No shame in lobbying for a non programmable ESC
You must be out of your mind, Tekin has done everything to comply with the rules. you can keep buying esc's till the cows come home or buy one you can change.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Carl if your remember what the 4 cell 27t setup felt like, that is what the 25.5 is close to. That being the case, the cars are on the throttle more, because you can't point and shoot them. You need to carry corner speed. The other thing is that watching a couple of the guys who have been running them already down here, it is easier to drive for them. There's a lot less rip to get you in trouble.
Thanks Rob, kind of clarifies it for me. I guess i just need to get out and see the difference. Thanks
Old 08-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CSeils
No flamies here. The increase in weight will also bring the raw speeds down a touch more, which is an aspect of the rules update that none of us have experienced yet. The gap from 21.5 will get just a bit bigger with that change.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigb11
You must be out of your mind, Tekin has done everything to comply with the rules. you can keep buying esc's till the cows come home or buy one you can change.

Welcome to the thread.... If you'd read back some, you'll see that I am a proud Tekin RS owner. I would love to be able to run Tekin but the powers that be will not let that happen There will be no Tekins or any other programmable ESC allowed in VTA, Period!

I also fully understand that Tekin has done all they can with the RS to try to make it compliant with the new rules and I commend them for their efforts but their only chance to be a part of VTA is to build a NEW non programmable SPEC racing ESC. Now the question is, is there enough spec racing going on to make that a profitable endeavor for Tekin? Or is it better from a business standpoint to bow out gracefully, so to speak.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.