Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Solara
Seriously????

You need to worry about will you be back from France by May...otherwise, you have to race Tour De France instead....

1-way or No-way...I am all OK. As long as wifey let me go race, I will be on my way....
+1
Old 02-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rced1
All this discussion on one-way vs spools is very interesting. However, the reason I asked if spools are being allowed is because it was stated USVTA rules. Not USVTA plus club rules.
If I'm not mistaken, spools are A-OK. It's the one-ways that are verboten.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I still like a properly functioning diff for the front end. Always seems less harsh and more "natural" for me.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sportpak
I still like a properly functioning diff for the front end. Always seems less harsh and more "natural" for me.
Yep, I too prefer a diff in the front for VTA. A diff is quite a bit more forgiving for newer racers than a spool as well.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:48 PM
Tech Champion

the spool thing is funny to me cause I run a spool in my VTA TC5r car and a diff in my VTA TC3 car...I also run a diff in my 17.5 TC5 rubber tire....and I dont see a difference....maybe Im odd..lol...and thats on asphalt or carpet
Old 02-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhberger
rced1 -- You are far too lucid to be allowed to post on the VTA forum.
I have my moments.

I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible!!
Old 02-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Scottrik
If I'm not mistaken, spools are A-OK. It's the one-ways that are verboten.
Correct, my typo. There went my lucidity.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rced1

I have avoided Harbour Hobbies and the Hurricane series because of the one-way rule. Whatever Harbour's reason is for not allowing one-ways I do not know or care. Maybe it is a safety issue;easily made into an underwear bomb. Maybe they feel they have more racers than the place can handle now.

SOUNDS LIKE U NEED A TISSUE AND A SPOOL
Old 02-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silentassassin
SOUNDS LIKE U NEED A TISSUE AND A SPOOL
WOW...
Old 02-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default 1-WAY BAN

To post or not to post.........

OK, Here is my take. (or is it my mis-take?)

a) I have been running a 1-way in the front of my sedans since 1999. It is what I think "feels" right to me, and therefore it is my personal preference.

b) As TA tires begin to wear, the rears become a larger diameter than the fronts. It is a FACT that a fulltime 4WD chassis with different dia front to rear tires, simply put, "binds the drivetrain". Spools and front diffs work well when the front and rear tires are the same dia. as with the typical 24mm sedan tire.

c) I am allowed to run a front 1-way at my home track, so I do. Changing a diff is the biggest PITA of any wrenching to do on my chassis, since it is a 2001 vintage.

That's all i got to say about that........ for now........
Old 02-24-2010, 07:43 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Anyone have a TC3 setup, one with a standard diff setup, and one without that they feel works great on ozite carpet they can post? want to compare a few things. I have heard the stock rubber setup is good.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:58 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Cain
Anyone have a TC3 setup, one with a standard diff setup, and one without that they feel works great on ozite carpet they can post? want to compare a few things. I have heard the stock rubber setup is good.
mine is with a diff and I run the standard setup(rubbber)...with about 7-10mm ride hieght...dont ask why, but it works for my diving style...and it looks cool coming around corners

not sure about spool or one-way

http://67.199.85.166/racing/setups.php
Old 02-24-2010, 08:07 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Thanks!

here is a question. reading up on some of the TC3 tuning info on the AE site, I noticed this:

Chattering is a result of over-dampening or too much tire bite. Test different compounds and try not to have the car so "stuck" to the track. Definitely try sway bars.
I get chattering on my vehicle (again not a TC3 but figure similar things will apply). It was less when I went to a slightly stiffer setup than what I normally was running, without sway bars but have those as an option.

The tires I have I believe have too much tire bite and I wonder if I may need to cut back on the saucing then? So I am thinking that setup wise, going with something stiffer in this case? And with too much much tire bite, could that also be causing traction rolling?

Part of me wonders that if I have too much tire bite, that could be why when I went softer on the suspension as others suggested, it just caused the car to go up and over easier as I was seeing.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
+1
I am asking for a REMATCH from last year when I was really sick...you edged me by like 1 point and this year...IT IS ALL IN DONKEY KONG...
Old 02-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Chatter

I've noticed a lot of different causes for chattering. If the car chatters in a flat-out sweeper, the front might be too stiff. You'd correct it the same way that you'd correct a push -- like maybe go with the next softer spring and/or some lighter shock oil. If I get twitchy at the controls (which is often) I can induce chatter by cranking in too much steering too quickly at too high a speed.

Go too soft and you might induce traction roll under heavy trail braking. I think you have to match your setup to your driving style or vice-versa. That, for me, is the hardest thing about RC. In my kart or 1:1 car, I can feel what the setup is giving me and drive it accordingly. With an RC car I feel so detached that I change my style a couple of times a lap searching for some predictability. I have been trying to develop a sense that I'm in the car, but I haven't been able to do that yet. That's what is so challenging and addicting about this hobby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.