Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 06:59 AM
Tech Adept

Sorry for the Noob Question... Will the HPI Sprint 2 Flux work out of the box?
Old 01-08-2010, 07:00 AM
Company Representative

I have part of the answer to your questions:

We are in the process of redesigning the Ballistic timing sticker; the new one will have numbers as well as the tic marks.

30 in the center with 15 and 45 printed on the label.

Originally Posted by gacjr0
That's got to be some kind of record for self-contradiction! JK

I was hoping more for something like 5,10,15...45 degree numbered marks. I personally don't like the N reference point and +/- marks.

Too many people think N = 0.

Novak Two:

Please tell us more about rotor changes (new vs tuning) and weakening and how that affects timing. We're listening.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Immo
Sorry for the Noob Question... Will the HPI Sprint 2 Flux work out of the box?

Unfortunately it would not at the electronics aren't legal under the current rules nor would they be legal under the new rules. It looks as if the ESC is not sensored so it couldn't even be an option. The car as a roller would be fine but you could certainly put together a much better roller for that kinda money. In short, I would pass.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by trerc
Unfortunately it would not at the electronics aren't legal under the current rules nor would they be legal under the new rules. It looks as if the ESC is not sensored so it couldn't even be an option. The car as a roller would be fine but you could certainly put together a much better roller for that kinda money. In short, I would pass.
Is there a RTR car that will abide by the rules out of the box?
Old 01-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

Is there a RTR car that will abide by the rules out of the box?
Not that I'm aware of, but one can easily put a car together for that kind of money. I would look for a roller (a lot of times you can already find one in VTA trim with wheels, tires and a body) and just purchase the Havoc 25.5 combo once Novak makes it available. From there you can pick up a radio and servo and you'll be ready to hit the track with a legal car that's ready for September.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:32 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

your best bet if you are looking for brand new, but really cheap to run USVTA rules may be looking at vehicles like the Ofna JL10E or other cheapo sedan options in roller trim. you can then buy what you want for electronics and go from there.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by trerc
Not that I'm aware of, but one can easily put a car together for that kind of money. I would look for a roller (a lot of times you can already find one in VTA trim with wheels, tires and a body) and just purchase the Havoc 25.5 combo once Novak makes it available. From there you can pick up a radio and servo and you'll be ready to hit the track with a legal car that's ready for September.
I have a HPI Sprint 2 Drift, just debating if I want to use this car and swap parts when needed, or just buy something else for VTA.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
I have part of the answer to your questions:

We are in the process of redesigning the Ballistic timing sticker; the new one will have numbers as well as the tic marks.

30 in the center with 15 and 45 printed on the label.
This statement makes this info appear to be TRUE.

Now onto the motor. The 25.5 is there already. Novak made it for oval racers out west to slow them down (before the 1C LiPo took oval over) a year ago. Here's a huge problem with the rules already. The SS-based motors had at most 12 degrees of timing that you could advance. When you turn the ring as far as you can- thats 12 degrees. The "N" on the Ballistic is their "zero"- which is truly 30 degrees, with the ability to advance 15 more degrees above that. 12 degrees versus 45 degrees.

"IF" this is true, as it seems to be with Novak Two showing 45 deg for the B motor, then either novak should give the trade in for old SS 21.5's to Ball 21.5's, otherwise VTA guys are having to buy the new motor, or since 99% of VTA guys already have the SS 21.5 and it's currently ONLY trade in able for the SS 25.5..that should be the VTA motor..and not the Ballistic motor ?? Without timing adjustable ESC's the motor timing becomes so much more important and advantageous.

Last edited by miket3; 01-08-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

I have a HPI Sprint 2 Drift, just debating if I want to use this car and swap parts when needed, or just buy something else for VTA.
If you already have the car that chassis is perfectly legal for use in TransAm.

Originally Posted by miket3

Now onto the motor. The 25.5 is there already. Novak made it for oval racers out west to slow them down (before the 1C LiPo took oval over) a year ago. Here's a huge problem with the rules already. The SS-based motors had at most 12 degrees of timing that you could advance. When you turn the ring as far as you can- thats 12 degrees. The "N" on the Ballistic is their "zero"- which is truly 30 degrees, with the ability to advance 15 more degrees above that. 12 degrees versus 45 degrees.

"IF" this is true, as it seems to be with Novak Two showing 45 deg for the B motor, then either novak should give the trade in for old SS 21.5's to Ball 21.5's, otherwise VTA guys are having to buy the new motor, or since 99% of VTA guys already have the SS 21.5 and it's currently ONLY trade in able for the SS 21.5..that should be the VTA motor..and not the Ballistic motor ?? Without timing adjustable ESC's the motor timing becomes so much more important and advantageous.
I believe the SS motors at 0 also have about 30 degrees of timing in them from the factory. Will need conformation on this as I could be mistaken... Of course if this the case then the difference is 42 degrees vs 45 degrees which isn't spit.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Tech Addict

Default motors

The way the oval guys are explaining it is.

total timing with the SS motor..12 deg.

the B motor..45 deg.

Novak two verified the 45 deg for the B motor.

I guess the best test would be to have a back to back test ASAP with a B 25.5 and a SS 25.5...if their times are equal..GREAT..if not..then something should be figured out. 99% of the VTA cars are running the SS motor. I believe novak two said the SS motor is NOT going to be traded in for the B motor ?
Old 01-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

maybe just limit the timing on the motor as well? wonder if they could do a locked timing ring of some sort?
Old 01-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The way the oval guys are explaining it is.

total timing with the SS motor..12 deg.

the B motor..45 deg.

Novak two verified the 45 deg for the B motor.
That's not true about the SS... maybe what can be added. Here's from Steve Weiss in the Ask Steve Weiss thread. He's answered this question several times.... here's one answer.

The timing on the Ballistics is set to the same point as on the SS Pro motors, 30 ACTUAL degrees. Not to be confused with the "degrees" on some of the other motors out there...

So they are basically the same motor performance wise.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Company Representative

Our SS Pro motors are also factory-set to 30 degrees of timing; not sure where folks are getting the "12 degree" info.

As for the motor exchange question, we can discuss this further when I start a separate thread for questions relating to the products we are customizing for USVTA.

"IF" this is true, as it seems to be with Novak Two showing 45 deg for the B motor, then either novak should give the trade in for old SS 21.5's to Ball 21.5's, otherwise VTA guys are having to buy the new motor, or since 99% of VTA guys already have the SS 21.5 and it's currently ONLY trade in able for the SS 25.5..that should be the VTA motor..and not the Ballistic motor ?? Without timing adjustable ESC's the motor timing becomes so much more important and advantageous.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Tech Addict

Default motors

novak two and padailey, thanks for clearing that up. Like I posted in my orig thread I read that onanother board and was curious. I would assume that a 25.5 is the same..but you never know and the last thing VTA people need is to buy one motor and then have to get the other one because it's better.

thanks again.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
and from what I have heard, they are.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the timeline could be shorter than what it took for lipos.
You're probably right. LiFe doesn't have the safety issues that LiPo had, and ROAR is now experienced with approving a new battery chemistry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.