Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 02:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
What is a standard FDR for your track with the 21.5?
Old 12-31-2009, 02:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CSeils
I guess i have to get a new car or quit. I can't get that kind of ratio out of any of my TC cars without cutting something. Way to tall if you ask me. No turbo and raising the FDR would have been less expensive.

Any suggestions on what the car of the month is?
Originally Posted by CSeils
I'm just saying that raising the FDR would have been less expensive for everyone. Newbies would still need the equipment but the rest of us would only need a few gears or so. Now we all need new motors and a bunch of gears.

I'm running a Tamiya car. I would need a 78 spur and a 45 pinion (48 pitch) just to get to 3.7 (need a 44 but no one makes it). Large pinions are hard to find these days. I'm not sure that would even fit without milling something down.

Just my .02¢
Hmm...a couple questions.

First, what other TC cars do you run? You indicated "any of my TC cars" in your initial post. Or are they ALL Tamiya. "My TC car" would imply one, "Either of my" would imply two, "any of my TC cars" would certainly seem to imply 3 or more.

Second, your first post quite plainly says "can't" while your subsequent responses seem to be vacilating on that to where now it seems it will merely be, perhaps, inconvenient...perhaps requiring you to purchase a gear or two?

Third, first they won't fit, then the concern seems to be that pinion and spur combo might be too small and not reach each other. How long have you been involved in RC? If you're to the happy condition that the gears won't reach then you (should, anyway) know for fact that a combination can then be had that will give the desired fdr AND reach together to mesh.

Kinda sounds like another red-herring argument was thrown into the mix perhaps? Like I said, the most gearing-limited car I'm familiar with can do 3.5 with relative ease. Took me about 30 seconds with a Dremel and a grinding bit.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcracenut
Man in car. Come on. These things not matter how light they try to make them will effect the handling, whch will effect the learning curve of the new racer. Besides it looks lame.
Can you back that up as fact? Puh-leeze.

I'll have a full interior tray in my car once it arrives and I get it painted up and I'll bet you pretty much whatever you care to lose that I will turn pretty much identical lap times with and without the interior in my car. It will be a non-issue, handling-wise.

If your driving skills are SO advanced that adding MAYBE 7 grams of weight to your car can be measured on the clock then I should be seeing your name at the top of the A-main list at every major race everywhere and your face on every add for every product worth buying. You'd be like Masami squared. I'd doubt most people could measure the change with a full ounce, and we're talking a fraction of that.

And "looks lame"? You're certainly welcome to your opinion, I guess, but you'll have to explain to me how a nicely executed driver / interior tray possibly detracts from how any car looks? I don't get that reasoning at all. What looks "lame" is looking through the window of a nicely painted car and seeing a rat's nest of wires, drive train components and chassis stiffeners.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:00 PM
Tech Champion

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Wow, alot of reading to do after missing the big rule change....at least we know there's no shortage of interest in the class .

Great job on the rules Rob, everything should work out great and I way look forward to running the 25.5 motor....especially with no FDR. That will bring a qualifying vs. main set up back into play like the 27t/4 cell days.

On a side note, we've been running the 5.2 fdr/no timing rule at Trackside the last couple weeks. That alone has tightened up the racing quite a bit and the Novak USORC race next week should be great. Given the chance, the new rules with the 25.5's should tighten things even more and the racing will be better than ever.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:08 PM
Tech Champion

+ YouTube Video
Old 12-31-2009, 03:12 PM
Tech Champion

+ YouTube Video
Old 12-31-2009, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Now What???

So I just spent in the last month hundreds of dollars to set up my self and my 2 sons up to go racing in the VTA class. I have just purchased 3 speed controllers, 3 21.5 motors and such equipment. Now you are suggesting I go out and purchase 3 more spec speed controllers as well as 3 additonal motors or motor upgrades, new gears and such so I can conform to the standard rules...

I just got started and now already cannot afford to swap everything out as well as when myself and my 2 boys are ready to move up to a higher level of racing I would then need to purchuse even more esc's in order to be competitive.

I think the rules really need to take into consideration the abiilty to mutli-task the equipment used so people do not need to reinvest to race another class.

One of the major points of VTA racing was that we could all be competitive with standard or slighly old equipment and now we all have to puchase new stuff.

This class has gotten to expensive before I have even really got started!

You cannot expect to bring new people into the hobby and keep asking them to spend money that we don't have!

Drivers in the car... Common it is a hobby!!! You want drivers in the car go race real cars...

Just my -98cents worth!

Happy New Year
Old 12-31-2009, 03:13 PM
Tech Champion

+ YouTube Video
Old 12-31-2009, 03:15 PM
Tech Champion

+ YouTube Video
Old 12-31-2009, 03:17 PM
Tech Champion

+ YouTube Video
Old 12-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by robk
Fainting Goats
ROTFLMAO...

Look at the birdie... Looook at the birdie...

Is this what the spin doctor's call diverting a news cycle?

+1
Old 12-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Tech Champion

+ YouTube Video
Old 12-31-2009, 03:24 PM
Tech Champion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.