Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 07:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TwoTone
You guys have also lost people like me, that came back into RC because of VTA and after watching you all go high end chassis and electronics, remembered the past and left.
Hopefully the change will bring you back...VTA needs creative types like you!! Now that the speeds will be cut back I'm believing that the advantage to new(er) chassis will disappear again like it was in the earlier days of VTA when the speeds weren't taxing ANY of the chassis. The only "advantage" the newer chassis will maintain will be the relative ease of making tuning changes to things like anti-squat, etc (what a pita on a TC3 to do!!) but how many people really ever change stuff like that once they zero-in on their ideal setup?

Originally Posted by Kevin Marcy
Then, when everybody's 17.5 class is faster than 13.5 used to be, there will be the mass cry of "Stock's too fast" and the 21.5 (or maybe 25.5) will become the "new" stock. At least that's what my crystal ball says...
DING!!

Several of us were proposing that "Stock" be set at 21.5 when ROAR was setting the spec classes. 6-cell / 27T was too fast for new racers (and, honestly, probably half the "experienced" racers I watched trying to coax it between the boards) and now 2s / 17.5 is substantially faster yet. Combine that with the fact that the difference between "Stock" and "SuperStock" (17.5 to 13.5) isn't really enough to be a significant change.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Hopefully the change will bring you back
Unfortunately it appears the changes aren't like very well according to what I'm reading on our track board, so I'll just take my son everyone once in a while to drive and sell my stuff. It's the same crap that made me lose interest last time. I'll wait and see what they do.

Some people will never get. As I've said before, the best racing I've ever done in RC was Doc's F-1 club with slow as hell club motors. I believe they were 40 turn. Slow, but fun close racing.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Unfortunately it appears the changes aren't like very well according to what I'm reading on our track board, so I'll just take my son everyone once in a while to drive and sell my stuff. It's the same crap that made me lose interest last time. I'll wait and see what they do.

Some people will never get. As I've said before, the best racing I've ever done in RC was Doc's F-1 club with slow as hell club motors. I believe they were 40 turn. Slow, but fun close racing.
Well, this class just got slow again. How come you won't stick around?
Old 12-31-2009, 09:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Can someone who tested a 25.5 tell me what fdr you were running please? Just curious how close it was to gearing now.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Old 12-31-2009, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
Well, this class just got slow again. How come you won't stick around?

You've been reading the comments on Mimi's boards. Just my initial impression based on the comments so far. People don't want to go slow. I know Vic said he'd wait and see and that's what I'll do.

Don't get me wrong, the crowd at Mimi's is as nice and friendly as the group I remember from years ago.

I just think that a lot of them are talented drivers and just don't want to go slow.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

FDR = 3.6 ????

I guess i have to get a new car or quit. I can't get that kind of ratio out of any of my TC cars without cutting something. Way to tall if you ask me. No turbo and raising the FDR would have been less expensive.

Any suggestions on what the car of the month is?
Old 12-31-2009, 09:57 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CSeils
FDR = 3.6 ????

I guess i have to get a new car or quit. I can't get that kind of ratio out of any of my TC cars without cutting something.
What TC cars do you have? The most gearing-limited car I'm aware of is the TC3/TC4 "tubbies"...you had to do a little MINOR (and inconsequential) grinding to get pinion clearance on it to make 4.2. I went further and at one point fittted 3.5 in my TC4 "tubbie" last summer when I was testing 1s / 13.5 in it.

I'm almost certain ANY of the belt-drive cars will be able to run 3.6 and even a good deal lower than that. Might have to pick up a smaller spur, but I'd be very surprised if any of them required any sort of clearancing at all.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:00 AM
Tech Champion

Don't get me wrong, the crowd at Mimi's is as nice and friendly as the group I remember from years ago.
Well...maybe other than the guy who referred to whoever created the interior rule as a "jackass". He also seemed ready to lump anybody who agreed with the idea into that category as well.

And why should "talent" matter? It's all about ego, 'cause I'd argue it takes every bit as much "talent" and maybe more to compete in a power-limited category where you have many more people dicing in a pack. Just a slightly different application of "talent".
Old 12-31-2009, 10:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
I'm almost certain ANY of the belt-drive cars will be able to run 3.6 and even a good deal lower than that. Might have to pick up a smaller spur, but I'd be very surprised if any of them required any sort of clearancing at all.
I'm just saying that raising the FDR would have been less expensive for everyone. Newbies would still need the equipment but the rest of us would only need a few gears or so. Now we all need new motors and a bunch of gears.

I'm running a Tamiya car. I would need a 78 spur and a 45 pinion (48 pitch) just to get to 3.7 (need a 44 but no one makes it). Large pinions are hard to find these days. I'm not sure that would even fit without milling something down.

Just my .02¢

Last edited by CSeils; 12-31-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:15 AM
Team Tekin

We understand the problem. We too have a ball driving 17.5 2s setups with only 1S on our carpet test track. The slower speeds really can be a ton of fun and allows wheel to wheel racing without going airborne. It is a problem across the board in RC that stock is too fast. Roar, race promoters, and many manufacturers are discussing it and working on ideas.

I am sorry I missed the discussion and the decision has already been made. We are not going to try and swim upstream at this point. However we would have certainly liked the opportunity to be part of a Vintage class considering Tekin is about as Vintage as it gets Novak and Tekin invented the electronic speed controller.

We are willing to do what ever you need and would love a chance to be part of it in the future.

I will say that the RS with version 183 has no boost, turbo or any timing advance. We can also make the unit chime or flash specific leds to indicate this version is in the unit. Any cheating is pretty obvious on the track anyway when all cars are truly equal on the straights

Tekin Prez
Old 12-31-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamTekin
We understand the problem. We too have a ball driving 17.5 2s setups with only 1S on our carpet test track. The slower speeds really can be a ton of fun and allows wheel to wheel racing without going airborne. It is a problem across the board in RC that stock is too fast. Roar, race promoters, and many manufacturers are discussing it and working on ideas.

I am sorry I missed the discussion and the decision has already been made. We are not going to try and swim upstream at this point. However we would have certainly liked the opportunity to be part of a Vintage class considering Tekin is about as Vintage as it gets Novak and Tekin invented the electronic speed controller.

We are willing to do what ever you need and would love a chance to be part of it in the future.

I will say that the RS with version 183 has no boost, turbo or any timing advance. We can also make the unit chime or flash specific leds to indicate this version is in the unit. Any cheating is pretty obvious on the track anyway when all cars are truly equal on the straights

Tekin Prez
+1 As I said before even if it's not the RS I think that a basic budget minded entry level brushless esc would be a good move for Tekin. Somthing in the $100 price range that could be VTA legal.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:47 AM
Tech Master

3.6-- dang
That's 88/59 on a Pro4.

Oddly, i have a 59 tooth pinion and it's nearly 1 inch in diameter.

And...... it FITS!!! I could probably go up to 61 or so... but not much more.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (96%+)

I , for another do not understand the new rule changes. Inverting the field for the main I can deal with. The fast guys will find their way through the field and win anyway.
Running the Main in the reverse rotation is just a dumb idea. If you want more crashes with the rookies, just do this.
25.5 motor. As though 21.5 isnt slow enough?
Man in car. Come on. These things not matter how light they try to make them will effect the handling, whch will effect the learning curve of the new racer. Besides it looks lame.
I am not sure where they think this will all make it a level playing field. As in the past the very fast guys will figure their way around it and will stay 1-2 laps faster than ther rest.
Just my opinion. I realize the "powers that be" have made up their minds. Now the ball is in the court of the racers. Time will tell whether this was a good move.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CSeils

Any suggestions on what the car of the month is?
Who knows, Novak may be working on that too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.