Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would like to give my opinion on this...as well as others...I wanted to wait till after talking to the VTA'ers Sunday, but it seems that ppl read this thread as I do...and the phone calls started coming in...I would like to see this class get the most respect it can from the r/c world as a "FUN,FAIR,CHEAP" class that anybody can do....but Im speaking as a person that pushes this class everyday to many ppl every chance I get....I talk about this class, I promote this class, I do trophy/money/prizes/points races, and Im just a racer, I give away free stuff, I bring new ppl to this class all the time....I steal off-roaders,tc racers, and bashers...so they can run a class thats easy and alot of fun, which is what the hobby needs as a whole....

my thought to the VTA world is this...how do tell hundreds of racers across the country to buy new stuff....it doesnt matter to the exchange program, sales on Ebay, or the 9 months to do so......

Im a Novak and HPI lover, but that doesnt count for me to have to spend more money to race a class that has had same rules for almost 2 years....even if its small dollars in a bucket...$50 bucks is $50 bucks...and the possiblity of a sale of a 21.5 Novak on any forum/local/Ebay, is a waste of time...who buys these motors other than VTA racers?..Oval?...

The Havok Pro is very good esc, but Rick ran one the last couple races, and its no regular Havok....not saying they arent close. To limit a esc is great, but it will hurt us in the long run...I dont see this being a solution...I see alot of upset racers, that bit the bullet to join this class by buying the correct equipment to be USVTA legal...by having to run "certain/spec" motors,tires,rims,bodies...now its esc's....

here is a point that has come to my attention....the point of this change is to get back to "OG" VTA...so the racing is closer and it will have a more different driving experience to TC...back to 4 cell 27t style...here is the question....Is anybody running 27t/4cell or 17.5/4cell?....nobody that Ive raced with over the last 8 months ran those combos....so who are we slowing down for?...the guys that dont run "HIGH" dollar esc....here is a fact...if they had one, this conversation wouldnt be happening...

Squeeky wheel gets the oil....so let me squeek....Ive got about 4-8 new racers over the last month, and they all have got 21.5/lipo combo...Ive told them Im running the same stuff for almost 3 years, I tell them that this class is the best, I tell them that if you are on a budget this is the way to go, I tell them that even if you run another class, the equipment you bought for you VTA you will be able to sale easy to other VTA'ers...I tell them its a solid class that takes care of its racers by having easy rules that are honored nationally....

and most importantly...I tell them this is the one class in all of r/c racing that will be around for years to come and wont change dramatically...

so what do I tell the 40+ VTA racers in my area that love this class just the way it is...not perfect, but still the best class around.....

I really dont think this even with the time frame will be a good move for the class nationally....I will go on a limb and bite the bullet on the esc....but buying another motor that once again will only be used in this class, dosent make any sense at all...and I have the 25.5(thanks EW)...but I dont see asking them to get new esc and motors....we are looking at massive drop in the class....at least they can use the esc they have in another class...but the 21.5 is worthless if this comes into effect.....my 21.5 SS is still the pooh!

keep the 21.5 motors and change out esc's...cause at $150 esc/motor is still $150....its funny that all over this thread Ive pushed the Havok 21.5 combo for the $150...and it got ignored constantly...

Im done, Rob you made a great decision, but I would really think about the motor issue...Jan 1,2010....

thanks again to all the racers, and even the ones with the smart fingers and poor attitudes....some of you shouldnt comment on the internet, and then act like you care about the class...cause you do more harm than good...

Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Old 12-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by sportpak
Cool, I just got a Havoc and thought it would look nicer with something half the size.(tool makers minds like to wander) I'll see is something official is available from Novak separately, otherwise I have some cool ideas for a trick low-pro heat sink.
With our GTB, there were a few after market resellers who machined cooling plates for the esc; some of them looked much "cooler" than our Novak plate....
Old 12-30-2009, 10:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
We will only have one motor battery combination going forward, 25.5 and 2s
Cool! looking forward to Sept.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

i have the same question Darkside asked - why is the class getting away from the 21.5 motor? The speedo I understand (not really like, but understand), but why the motor when the overwhelming majority of the racers in the class already has the 21.5 motor? when, i speculate, that only a minority has the swappable stator ballastic motor? yes, novak is going to offer an exchange program (sweet deal), but the costs do add up...

yeah, i get it takes $$ to race in this class - and most of the time, takes more money to run in a spec class...but still, why the different motor? its not like the 21.5 motors are going to be discontinued or are discontinued

that's going to be the hardest selling point for anyone that pushes/promotes this class - buy this motor to run for the summer, but come september, 'oh yeah, that motor you just got isn't good any more and you need a new more spec-ier one'?
Old 12-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

there seems to be a lot of debate on the new rules. why don't they make one class with the new rules and have an outlaw class. this way you can see which class lasts. this way guys can make there own decision on what they want to do.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:50 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by k_bojar
i have the same question Darkside asked - why is the class getting away from the 21.5 motor? The speedo I understand (not really like, but understand), but why the motor when the overwhelming majority of the racers in the class already has the 21.5 motor?

that's going to be the hardest selling point for anyone that pushes/promotes this class - buy this motor to run for the summer, but come september, 'oh yeah, that motor you just got isn't good any more and you need a new more spec-ier one'?

thats the whole point of all that I typed...I dont wont to see ppl losing money on good equipment....if you are running an ADV ESC...and dont want to run VTA, you can put in a 17.5/13.5..ect and go race still...and thats what I see ppl doing, and not just the adv esc guys...the 2-5 guys running Havoks/GTB's/Spheres will probably run a different class if the gotto buy a new motor as well....I know the adv esc racers are gone...unless they can sell that SPX,Tekin,KO.....and with the Black Dimond...who wants those esc's...so for them its lose lose situation...

change the esc, not the motor
Old 12-30-2009, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

I just put a trans am car together and was wondering who makes the rules up. Is there a governing body? If so who does it consist of and did they get elected. I'm not trying to start an uproar I'm just curios
Old 12-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitro neil
I just put a trans am car together and was wondering who makes the rules up. Is there a governing body? If so who does it consist of and did they get elected. I'm not trying to start an uproar I'm just curios

The governing body is the USVTA, http://www.usvintagetransam.com/. However, ROAR does have their set of rules also. The originator of this thread started the USVTA. I believe he turned over the reigns to Rob King sometime in the past year.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
buy this motor to run for the summer, but come september, 'oh yeah, that motor you just got isn't good any more and you need a new more spec-ier one'?
Easy to solve,tell them to go the ballistic route,buy it with a 21.5 set up for the summer and come next fall sell the 21.5 guts to an oval guy and buy the 25.5 guts. Seriously thats $35 which equals 1 set of VTA rims and tires ( which at the slower speed won't need to be purchased)
Old 12-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Tech Champion

.....I wont touch that...

you can use a esc in any form or r/c racing...but the 21.5 got its popularity from VTA....I have 3 of them incl the Ballstic...and 95% of our locals run them as well....so does GA,AL,Memphis,...and the rest of the nation...

I think you really should look at that as a cosideration....its easier for ppl to get the esc than to buy another motor that they can use in one class...and even with the Ballistic, what do you do with the $40 stator....?????????, sell it to another VTA racer?...come on...the holes are all over this change
Old 12-30-2009, 11:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

21.5 is a HUGE oval class,at least in this area,thats why 21.5s were so hard to find last year when VTA took off.

I can't believe that so much fuss is over $35-$40 I will have to completly gut my VTA car and actually buy back my old GTB not to mention I have 3 21.5s sitting here,and I will be happy to do it to bring back the door to door racing that was my draw to VTA in the first place.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tread1
Easy to solve,tell them to go the ballistic route,buy it with a 21.5 set up for the summer and come next fall sell the 21.5 guts to an oval guy and buy the 25.5 guts. Seriously thats $35 which equals 1 set of VTA rims and tires ( which at the slower speed won't need to be purchased)
gotta agree with Darkside here...and that's not a solution, its still the same, except now they spend 1/2 of a new motor instead the full price of a new motor...real smart way to keep people interested in the class

not even sure the oval crowd can/DO use the ballastic motors...oval racers are a pretty exact bunch of guys - if its not in their rules, they don't run it...
Old 12-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Tech Champion

what Oval guy?....dirt oval maybe...but they dont run 21.5's...nor does anybody in this area...oh except VTA guys...we put that little 21.5 Novak only motor on the map....

looking at another option....for our loyalty to Novak....take all these worthless esc's off our hands and give us all Pro's and we all win...jmo
Old 12-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Tech Champion

21.5 is a HUGE oval class,at least in this area,thats why 21.5s were so hard to find last year when VTA took off.

I can't believe that so much fuss is over $35-$40 I will have to completly gut my VTA car and actually buy back my old GTB not to mention I have 3 21.5s sitting here,and I will be happy to do it to bring back the door to door racing that was my draw to VTA in the first place.
you missed it...I allready have several VTA cars with different combos...

TC5R-SPX-21.5 BALLASTIC
TC5-SPX-25.5 BALLISTIC
TC3-GTX-27T-LIPO(HOUSE RULES)
TC3-GTB-21.5 SS

and just sold 3 others to new racers.....its not a money issue for me...Im worried about the hundreds of loyal VTA racers across the country and our 40+ here in Nashville,TN.....

do you know that even in mod touring cars you have door-to-door racing...
Old 12-30-2009, 11:28 AM
Tech Champion

did you just say that?....you want someone to go and buy a Ballistic for $90 bucks and run it for 5-6 months...and then turn around and buy a stator for another $40 in Sept.????...REALLY!...and do what with the 21.5 stator?....oh thats just another point Im making...more waste....

BTW...my tires last a long time...still have my original set...almost 3 years..(not ran every race...but still work just fine...lol)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.