Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 05:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
I know Mimi's was Novak motor ONLY the last time I was down there (Trans Am Shoot-out) and I even know they MADE a couple drivers that came in BUY the Novak motor

I would be highly disappointed if Mimi switched the rules as well - and I probably wouldn't be back this year from any big TA racers...

Harry - I think you need to talk to Vicko or Arvin, I believe THEY were the 'moderators' of the TA class...

I do know if you happen to come north to NJ to run TA at anything BIG Ray Murray puts together, it will be NOVAK-only! and I'm the controller of the class (aka, mr. jerk )
ok this is the thing at the track at all big races will follow the rules with novak only but just for messig around and club races u can use any 21.5
Old 08-18-2009, 05:09 AM
Tech Elite

also will Vta aloow the hpi slicks or no
Old 08-18-2009, 05:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by twelvegauge
Good luck with that, some guys are ready to throw down because of you getting in their way. Alot of the time they are only racing themselfes no one else even close to them. Lap traffic is part of racing if I am racing for any place I am not going to break my line to let them go by I shouldn't have to if they are that great and fast drive arround me in a spot that is big enough to pass like the straight. I don't see why people get so worked up over it.
Then the race directer should step in. The whole point of the class is fun. People like you describe are the fastest way to kill a class. Hate to say it, better to lose one or two people like that vs. the whole class slowly dieing because of them.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:36 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cyclone x
ok this is the thing at the track at all big races will follow the rules with novak only but just for messig around and club races u can use any 21.5
Is that from someone official?
Old 08-18-2009, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

One of the places I go to has an TA-A and TA-b partily because the turnout and th skill of the drivers, but the people running the race tend to side with the faster guys because they are locals and regulars or they don't interveen at all. I think I have been bumped to the B class for this reason before too. The problem was clearly not my fault but I guess if you make enough of a stink about it you get your way sometimes.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TwoTone
if thats what mimi wants to do just for sundays im not going to complain im down for any 21.5 but like i said at our big races like the East Coast Grandslam we will follow the correct rules and inforce it
Old 08-18-2009, 09:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Good luck with that, some guys are ready to throw down because of you getting in their way. Alot of the time they are only racing themselfes no one else even close to them. Lap traffic is part of racing if I am racing for any place I am not going to break my line to let them go by I shouldn't have to if they are that great and fast drive arround me in a spot that is big enough to pass like the straight. I don't see why people get so worked up over it.
your RD should call for leader...if he is being chased down by 2nd place...but if he is on a lap by himself...he should wait behind lap traffic or make away around...but he shouldnt be that much faster unless he is racing for position..example...none of our local top guys were at this past race...all SPORTSMAN class...for me to run with them I would need to turn my radio down to keep it close...thats not sandbagging...but who wants to be 4 laps on the field...and if Melvin didnt show that Sunday ...it would have remaind turn down...the leader of a race should be able to get around traffic without needing any extra help from the RD...PERIOD!

very doubtful...Ive seen these when we started last April and they wasnt faster than the vintage..IMO...I beat the guy about 2 laps and when he switched to VTA's. we were on the same lap...not worth the head-ache

Then the race directer should step in. The whole point of the class is fun. People like you describe are the fastest way to kill a class. Hate to say it, better to lose one or two people like that vs. the whole class slowly dieing because of them.
we had this problem about mid season in 08'...some guys wanted this and that...and we gave them an Unlimited TA class...what a screw up!...no rules racing...and after all the fuss and whining and major confusion...they never came out to race...lost about 10 racers all together cause of it...some because not knowing what to buy..some out of frustration others cause it got to complicated......want to kill a class...go against the grain and see what happens...but now we have a dedicated group and the local and national rules work at our track and we are back to having fun again..
Old 08-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

NO, Treaded tires only.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:39 AM
Tech Champion

No. Our track does not allow other brand 21.5s in the class.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Tech Addict

Lap traffic is part of racing if I am racing for any place I am not going to break my line to let them go by I shouldn't have to if they are that great and fast drive arround me in a spot that is big enough to pass like the straight. I don't see why people get so worked up over it.
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
the leader of a race should be able to get around traffic without needing any extra help from the RD...PERIOD!
So why do they have the blue flag with a yellow stripe in real car racing? That is the same thing as the race director letting you know the leaders are coming.

I learned a long time ago that letting the leader by is the best thing to do for everyone involved. Just go high in one turn and let him by. It only takes a second or two to let him by. The leader can't always make a pass in the straight because these cars are so evenly matched speed wise. It makes for cleaner racing and that is why they enforce it in real car racing. Lap traffic is a part of racing, but if the leader is lapping you, you are no longer racing him. He has you beat. He is obviously faster than you because he is lapping you. The leader is not going to wait either because second place is catching him while he is trying to figure out how to pass you. By not letting the leader by, you are forcing him to drive aggressively to get around you as quickly as possible. I understand that you might be racing for position when the leader comes, but the other guy will have the leader right behind him after you let the leader by. Then, if he lets the leader by, you both will be where you started before the leader showed up. Or, if the other guy doesn't let the leader by, there might be a wreck letting you pass him anyways.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
we had this problem about mid season in 08'...some guys wanted this and that...and we gave them an Unlimited TA class...what a screw up!...no rules racing...and after all the fuss and whining and major confusion...they never came out to race...lost about 10 racers all together cause of it...some because not knowing what to buy..some out of frustration others cause it got to complicated......want to kill a class...go against the grain and see what happens...but now we have a dedicated group and the local and national rules work at our track and we are back to having fun again..
Well I'm not trying to be an ass, by my local track just lost me by switching the rules. I'm all for the fun the class represents, but I also want to be competitive.
The whole reason I got back into the hobby was the VTA class and now they go any 21.5. It's this crap that helped me decide to leave racing in the first place.
Oh well should have know better than to get back in.

I wished I lived someone close to some of you guys. I'd love to race somewhere that stuck by their guns on rules. Then tracks wonder why they have a small group of regulars.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

if thats what mimi wants to do just for sundays im not going to complain im down for any 21.5 but like i said at our big races like the East Coast Grandslam we will follow the correct rules and inforce it
Wait wait wait, back up. I asked Mimi about this when I bought a new motor for my VTA car. She said and I quote in verbatim; "Over here we can use any 21.5 motor. For other large sponsored events you need to use NOVAK 21.5. But over here, you can use any 21.5 motor." With that in mind, I got the Speed Passion 21.5 motor because I am going by The Track rules per Mimi.

So now, I cannot participate in the Grand Slam series??? I mean we're going by what The Track sanctions... right?? I am pretty livid right now.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Tech Champion

First of all. I'm running Novak SS21.5s and will continue to until the USVTA rules change. It was nice gesture by ROAR to adopt the class, but their rules confuse things by stating any approved 21.5 when at the time the chosen motor for the class wasn't even on the list.

I guess from a technical standpoint is a 21.5 a 21.5? (rhetorical question)

This part of the debate that one motor is better than the others needs to end before we lose people from this class. Having a spec is key to the success.

Can someone with some real test gear check a Novak, a Tekin, a Speed Passion, a Trinity and any other motor professing to be a 21.5 and do a full physical test? Are the windings the same, are the rotors the same, is the inductance the same?
Old 08-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HarryN
Wait wait wait, back up. I asked Mimi about this when I bought a new motor for my VTA car. She said and I quote in verbatim; "Over here we can use any 21.5 motor. For other large sponsored events you need to use NOVAK 21.5. But over here, you can use any 21.5 motor." With that in mind, I got the Speed Passion 21.5 motor because I am going by The Track rules per Mimi.

So now, I cannot participate in the Grand Slam series??? I mean we're going by what The Track sanctions... right?? I am pretty livid right now.
This is what I'm taking about. Set the rules and stick with them. Last summer I was in buying a Slash and met someone I used to race with in the past. We talked a while and he brought up USVTA and brushless/lipo. He had me sold. Last year it was Novak only, this year it's any 21.5.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

First off, this is exactly why tracks should just mandate the Novak motor. These headaches tend to go away when we are all on the same page. No worries about this motor or that motor.

I'm not sure about what the NEGS will do for the big races, but last year I was at the Gate's race, and it was Novak only.

As far as lap traffic, yes you should let them by. There is an old rule, called the 3 corner rule. 3 corners and you will be punted That is not what TA racing is about, however, holding faster guys up is not what it is about either. We all need to work together on the track. That is what makes great racing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.