Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by home13oy75
I'm in the process of transforming my car for VTA racing. I'm sure this info might be in the 358 pages but was looking for a quick reply so I can order my motor today. Is the Novak SS21.5 Pro brushless motor the only approved 21.5 motor?
Yes
Old 06-26-2009, 11:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billb60
Yes
Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by home13oy75
I'm in the process of transforming my car for VTA racing. I'm sure this info might be in the 358 pages but was looking for a quick reply so I can order my motor today. Is the Novak SS21.5 Pro brushless motor the only approved 21.5 motor?
Coulda got one here yesterday. Otherwise try St. Charles or Strictly, I am sure they have them on the shelf.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Decent grip asphalt + VTA tires + front spool??

What is the benefit of running a spool when racing with rubber tires on asphalt? Do you get better steering response (like a one-way), but still have front brakes?

I'm also going to post this question on the VTA setup thread here on RCTECH.NET (http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-tuning-q.html).
Old 06-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer

What is the benefit of running a spool when racing with rubber tires on asphalt? Do you get better steering response (like a one-way), but still have front brakes?

I'm also going to post this question on the VTA setup thread here on RCTECH.NET (http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-tuning-q.html).
I just dropped a spool in my 17.5 tc (running jaco blues which are not much softer than good worn set of ta tires) and it really made a big difference, had to adjust my style a little (to stay on the throttle more) but not as much of a change to a one way! The advantage is on power steering... my corner speed went up. definitely worth trying IMO. I got one for the TA but haven't dropped it in yet...I've just been running a diff but super tight, almost like a spool. We haven't had alot of hard braking areas with our layouts, but did have to soften the braking some.

tc3/4 owners: if you are running the plastic cvds/dogbones you prolly want to go with alum. ones if you use a spool....the spool isn't as forgiving as a diff and the plastic cvds won't last long...

i tried it on the carpet track just to see... was a touch harder to drive over the diff... it'd spin out too easy if I let off the throttle too much.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

With a spool on asphalt you get better breaking and more on power steering. Also on asphalt a spool is generally easier to drive then a 1-way.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ive ran both, in my TC5's..and dont see to much difference...still diffs in the TC3...it seems to still be the best car for asphalt..the 5 for carpet...my $0.02
Old 06-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Do you guys just run your tires till there bald then buy new? Or is it better to have a couple sets and switch back and forth.
Thanks
Old 06-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default tires

Originally Posted by smokefan
Do you guys just run your tires till there bald then buy new? Or is it better to have a couple sets and switch back and forth.
Thanks
bald, better traction.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Tech Regular

How often are the approved bodies reviewed or updated?

The new HPI vett body looks like a good fit.

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/17526/
Old 06-28-2009, 06:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lapcounter
How often are the approved bodies reviewed or updated?

The new HPI vett body looks like a good fit.

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/17526/
stop - please don't try this again...read back about a dozen pages or so, and you'll see that its already been discussed...

the vette never ran in the original TransAm Series...

so just let it go don't need to have another 2 or 3 pages of discussion/flaming...
Old 06-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Interesting factoid...

If you look through the Trans Am box scores during that timespan there was ONE Chevy II/Nova that appeared in one or two races.

http://www.scca.com/documents/Pro%20...ns-Am/1970.pdf

Just change the year at the end to search all of the box scores.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by k_bojar
stop - please don't try this again...read back about a dozen pages or so, and you'll see that its already been discussed...

the vette never ran in the original TransAm Series...

so just let it go don't need to have another 2 or 3 pages of discussion/flaming...
Sorry, I used the RCTech search function to see if it had already been asked about. It didn't find anything.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There is no reason why some of the period correct (but not USVTA legal) bodies couldn't be run in an exhibition class, a novice/beginner class, the RCGT class, or any local class that would allow them.

It would be up to a local track director if they would allow an exception for the Corvette for example. However based on the experiences of many racers, one exception invariably leads to more. And if you make exceptions, then you really aren't running VTA any more.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lapcounter
Sorry, I used the RCTech search function to see if it had already been asked about. It didn't find anything.
try here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ml#post5392736

and read forward Actualy it was about 70ish pages ago

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.