Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quick VTA racing recap from Indy Slots on Friday. We had 21 racers split into 3 mains. Each main saw the top 3 cars fairly evenly matched. As usual, the track size and layout was the great equalizer. The drivers who made the fewest mistakes ended up with the wins (top speed isn't a factor at our track).

Here are some things that are working for racing at Indy Slots.

- Winner of lower mains bump up. (All classes)
- Top 3 receive hobby bucks ($1-3rd, $2-2nd, $3-1st)
- Track owner offers a monthly membership for racing - 1 fee to race as many days/classes as you want.
- Pizza and Chinese restaurants in same strip mall
- A good mix of young and old racers
- Strong Mini-Cooper class
Old 04-25-2009, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
wish we could
Best I can do is the listing for rounds 2/3 and Main Sheets with the qual times.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
VTA RD2 Heat.pdf (24.9 KB, 121 views)
VTA RD3 Heat.pdf (24.3 KB, 118 views)
VTA Mains.pdf (46.1 KB, 144 views)
Old 04-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

thanks
Old 04-26-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Just got home from running VTA for the first time and it was such a mixed experience... I finished in second in the main about 1/4 of a lap back

However.... In a field of 7, there wee 3 guys who ran roughly 28/5.08, then there were 3 guys that ran anywhere between 15-20 laps in the same time. It made for some very painful racing as only one of those three actually would let you by in a sporting manner. One couldn't keep his car in a straight line, so it was a crapshoot everytime, and the fastest of the three actually seemed to make it his job to hold you up or take you out when you were lapping him for the 3rd, 4th, 5th & 7th time...

My ancient Kawada, running on 4 cells with a 27 turn motor turned competitve laps with the two 2s/21.5 guys,so cheers for balance in options!! Racing those guys was great, and I would love to do it again, but I hope they get enough entries where they need two qualifiers & two mains.

Oh, and that last guy of the seven - he didn't run any of the qualifiers due to blowing two speedos, dropped his car down on track only for the main and won it
Old 04-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Tech Champion

thats racing...sometimes a new racer will hold you up when your "HOT"..you just have to learn to take the fast line and hope he/she isnt fast enough to run the same line...most of the time the fast guys run the fast line...and the rest of the field get in where they can...its a learning process..get your line down and make them make mistakes for a clean pass..cya
Old 04-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Tech Rookie

come on guys...more pics of these awesome rides!!! I love em!!!
Old 04-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thirtybird
Just got home from running VTA for the first time and it was such a mixed experience... I finished in second in the main about 1/4 of a lap back

However.... In a field of 7, there wee 3 guys who ran roughly 28/5.08, then there were 3 guys that ran anywhere between 15-20 laps in the same time. It made for some very painful racing as only one of those three actually would let you by in a sporting manner. One couldn't keep his car in a straight line, so it was a crapshoot everytime, and the fastest of the three actually seemed to make it his job to hold you up or take you out when you were lapping him for the 3rd, 4th, 5th & 7th time...

My ancient Kawada, running on 4 cells with a 27 turn motor turned competitve laps with the two 2s/21.5 guys,so cheers for balance in options!! Racing those guys was great, and I would love to do it again, but I hope they get enough entries where they need two qualifiers & two mains.

Oh, and that last guy of the seven - he didn't run any of the qualifiers due to blowing two speedos, dropped his car down on track only for the main and won it

But this where the regulars at the track or the race director needs to step up and say something.

I hear our race director announce that cars on the lead lap are coming up and to move over.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kingcobra69
come on guys...more pics of these awesome rides!!! I love em!!!
I saw a VTA pics thread somewhere, I'll try to remember to take my cameras card to work to upload to that thread tomorrow...

oh, and Amen to having the race director calling that - I'm sort of the new guy at that track as it's only the third time I've raced there (my normal track has gone 100% off road for the summer ) so I politely asked how many cars were needed to split the group
Old 04-27-2009, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here is a link to the VTA photo thread here on RCTECH.net (http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...sion-only.html).

----------

I don't think any racer or race director should expect cars to move over BEFORE the leaders have even got to slower traffic. The race director should be letting everyone know where they are running. The race director should announce the color/paint scheme of the tops cars in the race so that slower cars will know who may be faster than them. The race director should also announce if possible which cars are on the lead lap. In short, everyone deserves the same fair announcing, not just the leader.

Most racers will understand when they are slower and move out of the way. Some racers will race you like every turn is the last lap and you are both going for the win even if they are 20 laps down. Some racers are too new to even understand that they are in the way. This is all part of racing. If you are fast and you want a clean line, you can get that during practice. The fast car or better driver should be able to find a way to make a good pass.

It can be frustrating being stuck behind a slower car for a few laps, but take that opportunity to learn how to setup for a good pass. You may have to feint on an outside move to open up the inside line. You may have to fake like you are going to overshoot a corner and hope the car in front over-reacts. You may have to ride their bumper and pressure them into making an error without even touching their car. It can be very rewarding if you can work slower traffic cleanly by making a perfect pass. The skills you perfect passing the slower cars will pay off when you have to race someone of equal ability.

Oh, and nothing is better than faking someone out who is deliberatly blocking and watching them wreck their own car as you drive by cleanly.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=Thirtybird;5736030]I saw a VTA pics thread somewhere, I'll try to remember to take my cameras card to work to upload to that thread tomorrow...
QUOTE]

Pics : http://www.rctech.net/forum/5737479-post876.html

I apologize if my post came across as a rant on slow cars, it wasn't intended as such. I enjoyed it and got to know a couple people I didn't know before yesterday and will be doing it again soon
Old 04-27-2009, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer

Oh, and nothing is better than faking someone out who is deliberatly blocking and watching them wreck their own car as you drive by cleanly.
I too find glee in this!!

Another of my favorites every now and then with my friends who I know and have similar driving skills just to get their goats is to stay with them for many laps around the track then speed the pace up and pull back suddenly to distract them, they make a mistake, then I pass them by very cleanly, to gain a few car lengths. Works best in the infield.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Tech Champion

Does it seem like its pretty easy to conn fellow racers into drag racing down the straight, leaving them too hot for the first corner?
Old 04-27-2009, 09:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Just use the "PIT" maneuver if they are blocking. After having this happen several times they will understander that blocking (when they are behind) is not the thing to do.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Stuart Pid
Just use the "PIT" maneuver if they are blocking. After having this happen several times they will understander that blocking (when they are behind) is not the thing to do.

I try to give folks 2 corners, then it's Earnhart time! lol After a few PITs they'll learn and get out of the way! This isn't anything specific to TA, just a new racer thing...patience, they'll learn.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Tech Champion

Sounds like you guys are promoting hacking. I know I know its just as wrong to stall the leader like that as it is to just line backer somebody out of the way.

Where is the Hacksby video when you need it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.