Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

I hate to say it but eBay has alot of TC3 Stuff.
Parts, rollers, I even bought a new in the box kit for $150. Just search under Hobbies/TC3. GS Hobbies has most of their TC3 stuff marked down.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks Three, TJHill
Old 04-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TJHill
I need information. I have a 68 Camaro tires and wheels. But I need to
know what chassis to use? motor, chassis setup. I hear TC3 is good
and TC4? I am just getting in to Vintage Trans Racing. Where would
I go to find TC3 & TC4 chassis? Thank you TJHill

e-mail [email protected]
Not sure if you have brand loyalty or not but the TA05r seems to be a good chassis for USVTA also.
I've bought a few nicely hopped up in the $150 range.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

....IMO.....

this is to address the speedo concern....I own a SPX that I run in VTA...it has a very big advantage over most speedo's....I ran at the NATS a couple of days ago and realized that this class is losing something very important...the feel that anybody can win...I saw guys that are very good drivers get ate up on the track in-field and straight...I really think if you continue to allow speedos like this in this class..we will lose our strong following...this is just my opinion but how can someone with a RS PRO or SPX be in the same league with a guy with a GTB or worst...I think in such a case it doesnt come down to driving or setup..it comes down to money and technology...

even it up by making mph limit or two separate classes..but do something before we lose the weekend warrior or the wana-be fast guy with limited funds...and for that matter I as well as others think a Novak Havok 21.5 and Orion 2400 lipo will work fine if everybody uses it...thats $200 bucks..if you already have the euipment thats when the race director steps in and turns the radio down or change your FDR...24mph is a good speed for VTA..speed check the cars before the races start...and if caught..dock a lap...

and remember this is just a thought of 1 dedicated Trans-am racer who will do anything to help the class continue to grow.....the floor is open...
Old 04-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Im still not 100% sold that the SPX or Tekin RS is that much of a super advantage. I have been running the same Speedpassion GT1.1 that I have for almost a year now. This past weekend at the nats I qualified 2nd overall and wasn’t that far off the fastest laps run….hot lap in the mains went down to 9.9 or something like that I did 10.2. The problem comes in when people that are runing GTB's that have had them for a few seasons they now go and buy a new ESC and are like WOW its sooo much faster then my GTB. When the problem is all they have really done is get a new ESC and a new ESC is always going to be faster then their old one. I don’t think that the ESC's are that advantage its more so they have a new ESC and that’s what will be making them a tick faster. I have been passed by guys with brand new Havocs and gone what the hell do you have in that thing only to find out is a Havoc….so really its not the ESC like some of you guys want to believe….its more a "Fresh" "NEW" ESC that might be faster the first few runs. And the reason that the guy who TQed did TQ wasn’t because he had a SPX in his car….it was because he was a better driver plain and simple.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Tech Champion

you maybe correct...but what Ive tried is taking a fairly new GTB 21.5 in my TC3 and hit it..plenty of power but when I took that 21.5 in my TC5 w/ SPX the eyes dont lie..the tires balloned so bad I thought they was going to come off the rim...I know the TC3 and 5 are different..but both set at 4.2222 and 4.2555 it was a big difference...but if its all the same let it be...I wont run my SPX on the club level...just to keeep it even...
Old 04-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TJHill
I need information. I have a 68 Camaro tires and wheels. But I need to
know what chassis to use? motor, chassis setup. I hear TC3 is good
and TC4? I am just getting in to Vintage Trans Racing. Where would
I go to find TC3 & TC4 chassis? Thank you TJHill

e-mail [email protected]
Everyone has an opinion .. here's mine .. search for an Xray T2 or T1. The cars handle great and can be found for $150. if you search long enough. Look on this forum also.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default VTA Rubber tires...

what are you guys using to soften these HPI tires? Mine are hard as rocks. I have been using Jack the gripper but it seems to glaze over and make the car push so bad and really loose at the same time. I honestly am lost. I have heard diesel fuel, acetone, simple green? Thanks!
Old 04-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TShirt Man
what are you guys using to soften these HPI tires? Mine are hard as rocks. I have been using Jack the gripper but it seems to glaze over and make the car push so bad and really loose at the same time. I honestly am lost. I have heard diesel fuel, acetone, simple green? Thanks!
Put some of your kyjelly on them. That should do the trick!
Old 04-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Tech Champion

I use Reino's Ragu...if the tires are new...let it sit for and heat them up on the track
Old 04-07-2009, 12:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

How about people running the newer touring car chassis (TC5, 009s and such) against the older TC3 and tub chassis cars? Is that fair? (LOL)
The tires are the great equalizer. Run what you brung.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stuart Pid
How about people running the newer touring car chassis (TC5, 009s and such) against the older TC3 and tub chassis cars? Is that fair? (LOL)
The tires are the great equalizer. Run what you brung.
Absolutely..I'll pit a well set up tc3 or a TA04 against a tc5 any day. At the speeds we run, it really does come down to setup and driver ability.
Darkside...I agree with you about widening the spec rules. Tech happens so fast in this hobby that if we dont actively police it we'll be right back to "cant be competitive unless I buy the most expensive,highest performance stuff" . That just defeats the VTA effort.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default Nats

I run the Tekin set up and had a ton of speed in the straights, as Rob K saw first hand. Sorry again about that Rob K. However my car was decent in the infield and my driving and chassis set up skills are not near the top drivers so I was in the middle of the pack, C-main and my son @ 11yrs old in the D-main with the same exact set up. We had a great time though and appreciated the help.

I noticed most of the A and B main guys were the guys who's cars stay very flat in the corners ..yet very stuck to the track and without traction rolling, so my question is ..how do you get the cars to do that ?

I would like to see an honest set up sheet for the top 5 or 6 guys.

The event was fun to race, but more amazing to me to watch these top guys drive these cars.

Myron..it weas nice to meet you and pitting by you.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I know Rutt's car had a Havok system in it at the Nats, and he was in the A Main.

I also know Ermer was running a GTB, and I was running a Speed Passion GT 1.1. His car was faster, plain and simple.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:41 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by miket3
I run the Tekin set up and had a ton of speed in the straights, as Rob K saw first hand. Sorry again about that Rob K. However my car was decent in the infield and my driving and chassis set up skills are not near the top drivers so I was in the middle of the pack, C-main and my son @ 11yrs old in the D-main with the same exact set up. We had a great time though and appreciated the help.

I noticed most of the A and B main guys were the guys who's cars stay very flat in the corners ..yet very stuck to the track and without traction rolling, so my question is ..how do you get the cars to do that ?

I would like to see an honest set up sheet for the top 5 or 6 guys.

The event was fun to race, but more amazing to me to watch these top guys drive these cars.

Myron..it weas nice to meet you and pitting by you.
ditto...my setup was the TC5R box setup...only adjustments was removed the sway bars and glued the sidewall on the front tires...oh I added the thin sway bar to the front for the last main

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.