Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 10:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I think its funny how it keeps coming back to a this equipment vs. that equipment argument. The introduction of low cost new technology is already changing how we think about our hobby. Lipo batteries get cheaper by the shipment. The Havoc system at around $150 will change almost every class out there and all but eliminate brushed motors. I would imagine most other manufacturers will follow suit and eventually drop their brushed motor lines. At that point it becomes a matter of what FDR should be the limit. Even if brushed motors stay around for a couple more years, it will be harder and harder to find NiMH cells as battery makers change their product lines to target what makes them money. I think I'm being realistic and keeping the general focus of our hobby in sight. Are the 21.5s too fast for VTA? Maybe, maybe not. Again, its up to the race director to slow things down. I run this class because its fun, because I have to drive the car and not point and shoot. Would I like to win? Sure, but its not the end of the world if I don't. Regardless of speed, it is still competition and someone will always want to win.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

It is funny to me, too. The most vocal complainers on this page are the Minnesota guys who aren't using the USVTA rules. Now they are all worried that their equipment is inferior and they need $1000 car to compete. You guys kill me.

And to the fellow who thinks that sealed Mabuchis are the answer, you need to watch the chaos at a Tamiya TCS race if you think that cheap motors are a solution. They are until someone figured out how to make one scream. Then your class is dead.

Guys, the USVTA rules aren't an accident. The best racing we have seen is in this class. The motor options are all relatively equal, giving each motor choice an advantage somewhere on the track, as long as you are doing the work to keep some of them in top shape. If you don't care for the maintenance, the 21.5/lipo combo is for you.

And you guys worried about the TC3s, they are still one of the best T/A cars out there, along with the shaft drive HPI Pro4. A smooth, free-rolling shaft drivetrain is a bigger benefit than any belt drive car.

Still one of the fastest, easiest to drive T/A cars I have owned... and this was with a tired CO27 and packs that had long since lost any match or power they had. This car would have been much easier to run with the 21.5/LiPo combo, too.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I just can't agree on the old age brsuhed motor thing or low cost Nimh idea...ppl can do TONS of things about 27T. For god sake....ppl can sell a $50 silver can motor that can punch XX,000 rpm and called it some special mabuchi or whatever...with all the speed secret they can do in their basement.

Now...how can that be fair..?

Brushless motor...1 brand, 1 model...Novak 21.5 that answered ALL the question. If you are using this motor...you should not be complaint about the motor deparment, period. But of couse, nothing created equal...but at least, that minimized the problem we will see on brushed motor.

About using $50 used TC3 chassis versus $400 last week released chassis........if anyone that RACE more then 10 times a year would know. It is all about SETUP and DRIVING...may be a little bit of the chassis too. But if you can afford the $400 car...whos stopping you? That $400 does not garantee you a faster car? Infact I was beated by a $180 TA05R yesterday by 3 laps last night....I am pretty bad of a driver myself, but again, he beated me with a plastic tube car.

Afterall, this VTA thing is still RACING....racing is all about equipment, setup, driving skill...and $$$$. I don't care where and in what forms of racing, the principle is still the same unless somone generated a full SPEC of rules just like TCS from Tamiya....only 1 brand and 1 model number on all the equipment. That will be perfect and fair (may be close to be fair). But I am sure....I won't be racing this class. I would rather stick with 12th scale and 13.5

The key is...if you want to have fun, stop worrying and complaint about the fast guy...those fast guy will always be faster even with a Radio shack car....but if you want to be fast like them, go practice 2-3 times a week, spend the money to buy what they get...and try to hang with them. All I know is...all the fast guy here in midwest...all running $200 speedo with $100 lipo...possible ceremic bearing all over, and they are super fast....fast cost money.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Apexspeed, Nice looking tc3. I like where you tucked the amb. Good luck racing this winter.What brand is the bumper?Thank you
Old 12-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

looking for a little info... my vta car seems to work pretty well for about 4 minutes... then the rear starts to get looser and looser, not good especially with 8 min mains. i read something before about not overheating the tires, but they dont seems to be warm when this happens, but they are pretty packed up, tho. i do clean them before every round... this is on carpet, med bite, paragon... xray 007 running the typical white/yellow spring combo, oneway up front.

any ideas? thanks!
Old 12-21-2008, 08:50 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I find this funny, they changed the USVTA spec to make it more about the driver according to them, yet their racers are coming on here and saying they need the best gear to keep up.

Like MATCHED batteries, lighter chassis, am I the only one that sees the irony here?

Yea I know I sound like an ass but still find it funny
OK actually the vta is the largest class 1/3rd of the race program and they do not run the MMR Club VTA Spec.

The club voted months ago to not run the 21.5 lipo combo do to the known speed difference and they wanted to get as many cars on the track as they could. Worked pretty well now the largest class by a long shot. Your $1000 question comes from a newer racer who was many laps off pace a lot more issues in play then simple battery or motor options. The same arguement is made that 17.5 is way faster then 27 turn. That you have to have a new chassis to win. these are very normal arguments that happen in all racing. So blame were you like the reality is the largest class is running usvta rules as they were a year ago and running it very successfully. No reason to knock that.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Why not just one motor type an one battery, that would make it equal across the board
Old 12-21-2008, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Terryh1313, Thank you, someone else has seen the light!
Old 12-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm getting into USVTA and I have a couple of Losi JRXS R chassis I'll be running.

My racing buddy who is my 3 year old son will also be running VTA.. Any suggestions on a bulletproof chassis for him (you know, he occasionally forgets to turn at the end of the long straight). I currently have a tt-01 I was going to set up for him, but if their something else out there that will keep him in the race regardless of what he hits, i'll probably get one (I need the Traxxas Slash of USVTA).

Thanks,

Mark
Old 12-21-2008, 10:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by markf3x
I'm getting into USVTA and I have a couple of Losi JRXS R chassis I'll be running.

My racing buddy who is my 3 year old son will also be running VTA.. Any suggestions on a bulletproof chassis for him (you know, he occasionally forgets to turn at the end of the long straight). I currently have a tt-01 I was going to set up for him, but if their something else out there that will keep him in the race regardless of what he hits, i'll probably get one (I need the Traxxas Slash of USVTA).

Thanks,

Mark
Mark - you already got the "tank" fo RC cars

That Tamiya is MADE for the beginner-to-intermediate driver - so it will take any kind of abuse you son can give it...Best of all, the way the motor mounts should/will save his spur gears from stripping since the motor cannot really move on impacts

I think you got him set as it
Old 12-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here's a take for all you guys who worry or complain about FAIR!

The RULES setup for the US VTA are the SAME for everyone...that in itself makes them FAIR.

The Fact that they allow the use of (3) different power plants, allows racers to use stuff they may already have. (Nothing to do with FAIR, but simple economics there...)

With a class designed and intended to be about having FUN, there sure a small minority of Ultra Competitive people trying to tear down the basic SIMPLE principles of this awesome class.

FACT: If you think you are getting beat by a faster COMBO ie: 21.5/LIPO, You have the right to change... If you are happy running 4 cell / 27t combo, you also have that legal right...w/o being FORCED to have to have the more expensive BL/LIPO choice.

Sounds pretty damn FAIR, and pretty cool to me...

PLAY or RACE - the rules are the same for everyone...one may be faster or slower than the other. RUN at your own $$$ level, and remember to have FUN...and make those bodies look as awesome as possible!

Old 12-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Tech Adept

Just upgrade your TT-01 to the TT-01E specs and you should be good to go. My son uses the "E" for the TCS Rally class and hasn't broken a thing on it.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour

The RULES setup for the US VTA are the SAME for everyone...that in itself makes them FAIR.

The Fact that they allow the use of (3) different power plants, allows racers to use stuff they may already have. (Nothing to do with FAIR, but simple economics there...)

With a class designed and intended to be about having FUN, there sure a small minority of Ultra Competitive people trying to tear down the basic SIMPLE principles of this awesome class.

FACT: If you think you are getting beat by a faster COMBO ie: 21.5/LIPO, You have the right to change... If you are happy running 4 cell / 27t combo, you also have that legal right...w/o being FORCED to have to have the more expensive BL/LIPO choice.

PLAY or RACE - the rules are the same for everyone...one may be faster or slower than the other. RUN at your own $$$ level, and remember to have FUN...and make those bodies look as awesome as possible!

+1 ! A rare common sense post along the madness
Old 12-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour

Great post.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by haywood
Apexspeed, Nice looking tc3. I like where you tucked the amb. Good luck racing this winter.What brand is the bumper?Thank you
I think I can answer the bumper question, it looks like one Trinity has sold for TC3's(I used to have one when I ran TC3's, like it a LOT better than the stock bumpers, much more durable)....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.