U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Old 11-09-2008, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

not-a-lobster;
You're probably way too stiff on springs. Can't run a foam tire set-up on these tires. Most people at my track use Paragon. Apply, then rub off almost immediately.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

yeah my old tired suspension is way too stiff, I haven't really played with the car much. The whole thing needs to be taken apart and cleaned up. It looks to be a very fun class and I've wanted an excuse to buy a '69 camaro anyway. Thanks.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Tech Adept

By the way I'm not trying to change anything, just asking why those particular bodies were chosen. I want a slower class of cars to get my kids into the hobby and this seems to fit. Now I've found a use for an old tc3 besides crush car for the monster trucks. Thanks vta class.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
From the rules:

Thanks for the post reenmachine. Does anybody else thing this should be amended? It would reduce the frequency or rebuilds and decrease the amount of motor fade over the longer races that are being run in this class. All for adding $4 in bearings to an already rebuildable motor.

I'm thinking of picking up a used chassis and giving this class a try but the only speed control I have to spare right now is a brushed unit. I figure a couple moderate 4 cells and a 27t motor and I'm in business.

Just a thought.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Tech Rookie

I ran Trans Am for the first time yesterday, had a great time. I run a X-ray, the car ran great and only changed my foam tires to rubber tires. The car handled very well, any suspension tricks? also I ran 27 turn motor & 4 cell batterys!

Thanks Dan
Old 11-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Tech Champion

I just wanted to share a link to the Nexus VTA class yesterday. Melvin is knocking out 11.5 second laps causing headaches for our serious contender and frequent champion Chad Sharpe.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Thanks for the post reenmachine. Does anybody else thing this should be amended? It would reduce the frequency or rebuilds and decrease the amount of motor fade over the longer races that are being run in this class. All for adding $4 in bearings to an already rebuildable motor.

Just a thought.
Actually, the next rule change that effects brushed 27t motors will be to eliminate them from the USVTA options completely. This won't happen for a little while yet, but there are no plans to offer any more changes to the brushed motor option. The reality is, the 27t doesn't need the help—it's already the fastest motor of the 3 choices with regular maintenance and rebuilding.

The future of this class is 21.5/LiPo, and we are rapidly getting to the point where if you are running anything else, you're not going to be up front at the end. Not to say that it can't be done with something else, but your odds are decreasing rapidly as this class progresses and the majority moves to the most consistent, easy to maintain and cost-effective powerplant option.

Be prepared—21.5/LiPo is where this class is headed.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Apexspeed,
With Trans-Am going toward 21.5/lipo, when will the other 21.5 motors be let into the mix. Because I got my A__ handed to me today by a couple of Speed Passion 21.5. Big time difference!
Thank you for your info
Dave
Old 11-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Once ROAR has their spec ironed out for the 21.5 and then they start to list legal motors, they will be allowed in the USVTA. Hopefully, ROAR will be proactive with the future of these motors and mandate some sort of ID markings to distinguish "pre-approval" motors from the future-legal 21.5s.

I'm crossing my fingers with that one. Tech might be miserable if that doesn't happen, as you'll have legal motors and potentially illegal motors in the same motor pool. Ugh. The thought of that alone makes me want a single motor solution, even though I realize that it's not a practical solution.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Any particular reason for eventually doing away with brushed or is it just because it seems to be going that way.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Once ROAR has their spec ironed out for the 21.5 and then they start to list legal motors, they will be allowed in the USVTA. Hopefully, ROAR will be proactive with the future of these motors and mandate some sort of ID markings to distinguish "pre-approval" motors from the future-legal 21.5s.

I'm crossing my fingers with that one. Tech might be miserable if that doesn't happen, as you'll have legal motors and potentially illegal motors in the same motor pool. Ugh. The thought of that alone makes me want a single motor solution, even though I realize that it's not a practical solution.
Do you have any indication that ROAR is even considering doing anything with a 21.5 motor? Why would they? 17.5 is the "Stock" motor. There currently is no ROAR-sanctioned class that would utilize this motor.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I just watched some USVTA racing today. There were 2-3 cars running the 21.5/Lipo combo against a field of the other common combos. It was not even close. It looked like two cars running 19t against a bunch of other cars running 27t.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Tech Champion

The 17.5 option was added to allow brushless technology into the class, and equivalent to the 27turn. Letting Lipo into the class was more difficult because of the voltage. There is no fourcell equivalent to the lipo pack. It would have been great and extremely convenient if lipo batteries could be made with a 4.8volt output. And if that were the case Im sure we would be running a lipo 4.8/17.5 combination.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Do you have any indication that ROAR is even considering doing anything with a 21.5 motor? Why would they? 17.5 is the "Stock" motor. There currently is no ROAR-sanctioned class that would utilize this motor.
Actually since the NOVAK 21.5 WAS originally built for OUR oval series, and has made it's way into several of the oval racing programs across the U.S. now, and is actually the largest class at MANY oval Races...there's a strong chance it will be picked up by R.O.A.R. in some fashion

Add to that the popularity it's gained in the VTA and some other spec racing groups...

IF you don't see R.O.A.R. moving fast enough on it...CONTACT THEM..and BUG THEM (which is kind of what I did with the 17.5's too) which was also built and tested by our OVAL racers...

BOTH of these motors brought more speed controlled ability to Brushless Racing and without them - the ENTRY and Slower level classes wouldn't have been able to enjoy the luxury of racing BRUSHLESS.

...and it WOULD have been great if LIPO batteries could be configured in a 4.8v, but since they are 3.7v per cell, that's a tough one.

I've often wondered if they could be made somehow into a 4.5 or something V single cell. Some are testing a SINGLE CELL 3.7 v LIPO cell for racing - which would totally change the motor structure (AGAIN) but could be a decent choice for a whole BUNCH of various speeds in the near future.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
...there's a strong chance it will be picked up by R.O.A.R. in some fashion

Add to that the popularity it's gained in the VTA and some other spec racing groups...
This sparked a thought... What if ROAR tried to add VTA as a national class? Good? Bad? I am 99.999999% sure it would never happen, but it does pose an interesting question. I think that one of the reasons it is such a popular class is because it is a class for racers, by racers. If ROAR was to take it over, I think it would loose that feel and eventually fade out. Thoughts?

Last edited by K_Spec_RC; 11-10-2008 at 07:08 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.