U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Old 09-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Exclamation

Someone mentioned earlier that the Novak 21.5 Pro motor is getting "hard to find" and that's just not the case.

There are plenty of online places that have them in stock right now, as well as most major hobby shop distributors.Tower and Omni have them listed as "early October" which is technically tomorrow, so that supply should be filled soon, too.

And if all else fails, you can also buy them online directly from Novak at a very reasonable price, too. There should be no shortage or difficulty buying these motors. Anyone who thinks so is just not really trying very hard.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Did anyone see the Vintage TA coverage on Speed yesterday? It has changed my vote for most needed new shells.

Javelin
Cougar
more Year models Mustang and Camaro
Ford Falcon
Alfa
Datsun
Porsche

In that order.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:14 PM
Tech Champion

I forgot we dont include the smaller displacement class. Still need the others though.

Did Trans Am ever run in trans am? That sounds strange.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Did Trans Am ever run in trans am? That sounds strange.
Well, I don't recall ever seeing a Pontiac LeMans run at LeMans either.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine

classic lol
Old 09-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TwoTone
Sorry for another OT question but this thread seems to move faster than other.

Looking at getting some batteries tonight. I've made my own packs before, but never using the plastic sleeve with the end to make a stick pack.

Is there and solder between the cells when assembled that way?
If so how do they do it?
most stick pack have a tab between the cells, some one makes a T shaped tip for soldering irons for the diy guys, there was an article on how to do it some time back in car action or some other mag,
Another option is contacting MEC, they are rc plane people and they had a thing called "power tube" tell them how many cells you want to use and they send you a end to end tube that clamps together with a long bolt an no solder is needed. www.modelelectronicscorp.com hope that is a bit of help.

Bob
Old 09-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Cool WHAT A BLAST !

~ Doug just found this one from July , We get 15 to 16 guys every week what a Blast ! Thank You for starting this Class !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRwMrRk05mE&NR=1
Old 09-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

[QUOTE=wallstreet;4889858]
Originally Posted by C&B RC

I just wanted to post and let everyone know the USVTA has stickers already

The stickers are USVTA Official stickers... designed by doug.

they come with offcial usvta logos and pre numbered balls including larger ones for the hood and a smaller one for the trunk.

These stickers are the best designed stickers that could be bought for your USVTA cars.

I have these for sale and i also have a full sheet with only USVTA logos.

I am selling these stickers at cost ! the only extra cost is due to shipping. I doubt anyone will be able to match the prices on these stickers.

I only currently have 1 number sheet for each number from 1 to 80. and some have been bought already. But alot are still available. PM me if your intrested. I know pictures of these stickers are all over the trans am thread.

And with the increase in USVTA drivers i will make a list and get multiples made for guys who want mulitples. I am doing this to help spread the love of trans am racing and help promote the USVTA as a whole.
Wallstreet,

Do you have more info on these stickers like where to buy, cost, pictures? I'm interested.

Kartracer
Old 09-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by reenmachine

Ouch! That thing is nasty. To the best of my knowlege, and I am not claiming to know, but isnt the LeMans--- No Im gonna have to do my home work before I run my mouth.

What is Le Mans named after? Is the car named after the race? Is the race named after a place? I know years ago the Pontiac Le Mans looked like a GTO instead of an econo box. What is the Pontiac Trans Am named after? Is it the race? Or does it mean Trans America or Across America.

Hmmmm, if anyone knows please chime in. Im going to the Wikipedia.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Ouch! That thing is nasty. To the best of my knowlege, and I am not claiming to know, but isnt the LeMans--- No Im gonna have to do my home work before I run my mouth.

What is Le Mans named after? Is the car named after the race? Is the race named after a place? I know years ago the Pontiac Le Mans looked like a GTO instead of an econo box. What is the Pontiac Trans Am named after? Is it the race? Or does it mean Trans America or Across America.

Hmmmm, if anyone knows please chime in. Im going to the Wikipedia.
Oh, it's just always our marketing friends trying to polish a turd. There has been a Pontiac LeMans since the 60s -- it was initially the lamer "family" boat-car so they gave it a cool-sounding name so dad wouldn't feel like such a loser buying it instead of the GTO mom vetoed. The race is indeed named after the place where it is held.

The Pontiac Trans-Am was undoubtedly named to capitalize on the popularity and performance image of the new race series of the same name.

Not to make it sound like Pontiac has exclusivity on this approach. The examples are too numerous to list.

Back in the 80s we had an exchange student from France live with us for a while. He noticed some brown Oldsmobuick with "Parisienne" nameplates on it and inquired about the nature of its association with his hometown of Paris. That was a hard one to explain!
Old 10-01-2008, 01:25 AM
Tech Master

Imagine a class called 4 Cell sports.
or maybe just "sports" or "street" or something like that.
Sports car shells including the exotics, Vintage TA shells and the Japanese sports cars, even the modern stuff.
4 cell power 27t or 17.5.
HPI D compound treaded tires, including but not limited to the Vintage tires. Wheels must be streetable in appearance. No dishes.
Wheels can be any offset but the car can not be more than 200mm at the front track and 210mm at the rear.
Wings-Small cosmetic wings only. If a kit has a larger cosmetic wing then it must be trimmed to have no more than a 4mm rise.

So here we would have a class that could be run at a local track. It would not be VTA but if you showed up with a VTA car you could run it, and be competitive. It would be slower than TC and have recognizable cars that look like cars. Broader body choices, wheel choices, Tire choices, while at the same time keeping the semi streetable look. Touring car paint jobs would still be "Frowned upon". Tires would all at least be treaded and made of the same compound of rubber.

It would be something completely differrent than VTA but yet compatible with people who are already running it. Its just an idea, but if you dont like it, at least try to be constructive/respectful.
Sorry to bring up an old post, but this would be a HELLUVA class. I don't see why this wouldn't work and attract a lot more racers. :thumbsup: Nice idea, hopefully it can be put into play!
Old 10-01-2008, 01:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This is from memory, but the Pontiac Trans Am was first introduced as a regular option in '69. I think there were a few put out in '68. Yes the name came from the series and a licensing fee was paid per car. I think Jerry Titus drove the 70 TA in the series. IMO the '70 was the sexiest TA ever built, 455SD, 4speed, torque and horsepower, all wrapped in some sweet sheetmetal. White with the blue to black stripe on the hood, oh yeah!!! and I'm a Ford guy.

The Le Mans was a option package for the Tempest, that was slightly upscale from the base car, and GTO was an option package of the tempest also. The SS chevelles were option packages of the base chevelle, as was Malibu

Last edited by losi nut; 10-01-2008 at 01:47 AM. Reason: brain cells woke up
Old 10-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Tech Adept

Default couple of new shells for "THE TRACK" race ---

"The East Coast Trans Am Shootout”- couple new shells for the big race:

See you guys there!!!
Old 10-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DJ919
Sorry to bring up an old post, but this would be a HELLUVA class. I don't see why this wouldn't work and attract a lot more racers. :thumbsup: Nice idea, hopefully it can be put into play!
At the time I posted this I was realizing that the VTA I wanted was not what its creators had planned. If you look at the other post around that time,(Please dont) you will see some arguments over some pretty silly issues.

This was my way of pitching an idea of what I thought would be really cool. But I didnt want to crap all over the class that the Official USVTA has built. Theres nothing wrong with the idea of racing sports cars. It takes what I like about the VTA class and then takes on a new direction.

I dont know. I dont like the idea near as much now as when I suggested it. I guess I just dont want to dilute the racers that are running VTA. On the other hand if you did host a race like this, guys who normally run VTA could show up and be competitive. They might even have a slight advantage. (VTA tires are wider than the rest of the legal tires)

You just cant call it Official USVTA, and do that. Ya gotta call it something else.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Savage6151
"The East Coast Trans Am Shootout”- couple new shells for the big race...

See you guys there!!!
Beautiful work. Really a fantastic representation of the way these cars are supposed to use. Fantastic!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.