Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Old 09-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Tech Addict

we run our rule for tire treads in NC. races like this:
Tire tread pattern must be visible on tire to be leagal.....
Old 09-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Micro-Man
Tire tread pattern must be visible on tire to be legal.....
That's as it should be.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree...since even I can tell a difference...

these are my goodies...they have a little tread left on the edges...would this be legal?
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-wednesday-night-ta-001.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-wednesday-night-ta-002.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-wednesday-night-ta-003.jpg  
Old 09-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Those are good asphalt tires. You can see the groove forming on the rears, though. Eventually, they will blow out there. You got quite a few runs left though
Old 09-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

At our club they would be.

Essentially we just didn't want anyone using brand new 26 and 31mm HPI slicks.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
At our club they would be.

Essentially we just didn't want anyone using brand new 26 and 31mm HPI slicks.

so are the slicks better...seems to me they would be more like drift tires?
Old 09-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Ray Murray
Watching the cars actually race really hooks other racers into the class....
Yes! something happens when people see them run. People can experience how cool this is. Something you cant get from describing it to them.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
so are the slicks better...seems to me they would be more like drift tires?
Not on a prepared track and especially not on carpet.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've used tires bald and brand new on carpet without noticing much of a difference. Of course the tracks in Colorado do not allow Paragon which may make a difference. On the other hand, on asphalt I feel bald tires do work a little better.

As for wear, on carpet we've been getting months of usage before the tread rule would require replacing tires. But on asphalt I personally have only been getting about 10-12 runs on front tires and about 16-18 on the rears before they would not pass the tread rule as they wear so quickly. That means replacing tires every 2-3 weeks. Our tracks don't use this rule so i get about 5-6 weeks from a set tires before a blowout occurs and they need replacing. The tracks we run on outdoors are rough asphalt which is more than likely contributing to this fast wear.

I personally don't think there should be a hard and fast rule on tires needing tread when it cost $43+ for a set of four tires and rims. I've got two cars to maintain, 1 for me and 1 for my son, that's $86+. There's another family in Colorado that has 4 vintage cars, know there's some bucks. I know you can reuse the rims but it's a pain to remove the old tires. If others do not find it to be that difficult please provide your secrets (glue, removal process etc.)

With that being said, like so many have posted on this tread, each track around the country starts with the base rules and makes deviations where they feel fit. The one place I guess the official VTA rules should be followed to the tee is at a National sponsored event.

Although, I'm not too crazy about the 21.5 BL motor only being Novak. I think about half the TA races in Colorado have bought LRP motors instead of Novak.

Just my 2 cents. Over and Out....
Old 09-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Build a VTA car and let it sit on your pit while you race other classes. That way its not just you trying to sell it to the owner of the track. The other racers will see the car and start asking around. Once the other racers have interest. You will get your class.
What's so cool about the Vintage TA class is that its such a catch to the eye of the American grass-roots racing enthusiast and fan. Over the past few weeks, I've been checking out local/non local tracks as far as the onroad/carpet classes that they run. By their website listings, the Vintage TA class is either one of the largest or the absolute largest class at their tracks. Vintage TA is the class to invest in. Its going to take over the onroad like 8th scale buggy took over the offroad...The style of cars just have the American Racer's heart...Mid-late 60 / Early 70 muscle cars...1:10th scale's tribute to American racing heretige, and its working!
Old 09-14-2008, 08:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

My method of glue removal that doesn't stink up the house...

Get coffee can. Get acetone. Put rims in coffee can, add about a half inch of acetone. Let sit for 1 week. Take rims out and pull tire from rim. Use dremel to clean the bead. And you're ready too go!

Stink up the house method. Turn on oven to 300. Put rims in oven. Pull out after a few minutes and work tire off the rim.

For either method, I will cut out the center of the tire, so that I can take out the foam. It helps the stuff soak in a bit quicker.

Paul
Old 09-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Tech Champion

Just cut the old tires off with a knife and then clean the rims up with a tire truer and some sand paper.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:38 AM
Tech Elite

Just wondering, has anyone tried "Goop" to attatch tires to the rims???

With the slower rotating mass of VTA, I wonder if this would work....I use Goop for just about everything else.....hmmmm

If it did work, you could pull the tires off the rim, and then peel the goop cleanly off the rims....
Old 09-15-2008, 06:54 AM
Tech Master

With the slower rotating mass of VTA, I wonder if this would work....I use Goop for just about everything else.....hmmmm

If it did work, you could pull the tires off the rim, and then peel the goop cleanly off the rims....
Thats not a bad idea to try out Ray...There's not enough go power for the tires to generate a small ballon effect, the goop "should" be able to hold them enough when scrubbing around the corners. When I'm practicing with my V-Ta, I sometimes run without any adhisive product on the tires/rims...Only had a tire barely come of once during practice... Goop just might be a good use adhisive for V-Ta race trim. My next set of rims & tires, Ill try it out. Hobby shop's having a hard time keeping V-TA rims and tires in these days
Old 09-15-2008, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Not sure what goop is but I've tried Shoo Goo. Worked for awhile but couldn't outlast the tires so I ended up having to use so CA anyway. So it ended up wasted effort.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.