Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

To be honest, a breakout is not something I'd like to see. Especially when you consider that I won the club race at my track last week, and 3 guys hot lapped me in the main.

It's not that guys have slow cars, it's consistency.

The other thing is race management on the racer's part. I have let guys go, because they were way faster than me in a main. If they smash some boards, or get into trouble with traffic, I might have a chance, vs. trying to hold them off for 8 minutes, bumper to bumper. Being patient is a good thing sometimes
Old 03-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I don't think a breakout rule is something that should even be considered by the VTA. However it might be a good solution for those tracks with a little lower numbers and that must be a little more flexible to keep the classes a decent size. Mostly this was brought up at our track when the gear restricitons were in place (still have the restricitons for now). You have a couple guys that can run say 14.6-14.7's. Another group at 14.9 - 15.0.. and another group above that. Set a 14.5 breakout and let people gear away at it. The fastest guys won't be able to change much for fear of breaking out. Next group can add a little and so on. I don't think it will really change the outcome much because the best drivers will still run more laps at the low end. But it'll keep more drivers in the race longer. Seems like it could potentially be a good solution for some tracks.... maybe not so good for others. Probably if a layout or track conditions change a lot it might be a pain to set the "breakout". I'd say take some time and see how things play out for a few months before making a decision.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Honestly, I don't see it becoming a rule in T/A. It's too hard to set up a good number, too hard to race manage and really forces only the fast guys to be on edge. The only benefits are to those who can't run close to the breakout time, and in my opinion, rewarding the slow isn't something that we should do.

Racing is racing, and guys will always want to get an advantage. It's part of the sport and the hobby. We could all go knitting and then we wouldn't have to worry about the next guy having a faster motor or better battery pack, or having more mad skillz.

Adding break-outs to this class really does nothing but complicates the class, rewards slow guys and penalizes the fast drivers.

I'm of the thought that we should pretend we are all 14 years old and it's 1985. We aren't A-main drivers, but with practice, time, effort and a lot of learning, we can all get better, faster and potentially challenging the fast guys for the wins.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

is there any chance of going to 6cell? I run this class with a TA05 on carpet and i think more horsepower would be fun
Old 03-07-2008, 03:28 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M3dreamin2008
is there any chance of going to 6cell? I run this class with a TA05 on carpet and i think more horsepower would be fun
Kinda defeats the purpose of the class. If you want more horsepower just stick with touring. However, there's nothing to keep you from getting others together that want to run the class with 6 cell.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs down

No.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

That makes no sense at all. If you want to use a 6 cell then slap a TC body on the TA05 and run touring. If you want to run TA then lose two cells and have some fun.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:57 AM
ODB
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What makes this class great is the slower speeds and level racing field. The last thing I would want to see is this class turn into the stock class with vintage bodies slapped on them.

I think the intention of breakout racing would be to make this class as inclusive as possible to ensure the class grows, and to avoid battery/motor/ratio arguments. I know many individuals, including Padailey who I race with, have done quite a bit of testing with battery and motor combinations to determine what is equivalent. I am no expert on the subject, so I appreciate the USVTA's and our local club's recommendations.

The results of the Vintage Trans-Am Nationals will provide some valuable insight, and the event itself looks like it will be a lot of fun.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Cool

Originally Posted by Racinrc14
Hey Kahuna, yeah there were at least 20 trans-ams at Mimi's Sunday. Had a good time, felt good to be back on the rug. I'll probably just go to Mimi's Sunday and skip HTUSA this week.

-Tommy
- We'll see you there Thomas , pit to the left as soon as you go in the front left door . and bring the ponies !
Old 03-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by KAHUNA
- We'll see you there Thomas , pit to the left as soon as you go in the front left door . and bring the ponies !
-Will do. See you there!
Old 03-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Guys im new with electric car, I've been running on-road car ever since i started r/c, I will give it a shot this time with this transam, I have a tc3, what is the best brushless motor and speed control and i need suggestion for set up? I will really appreciate all your comments'
Old 03-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Motor: Novak 17.5 is the only one anyone has right now. LRP is out this week, and I think Speed Passion has one coming soon.

ESC:Lots of Novaks and LRP out there. I personally like the LRP a bit more, I think it is smoother, but there are plenty of Novaks out there. I doubt you can go wrong between the two. A buddy has the Speed Passion ESC, and has given it the thumbs up as well.

Std Associated carpet setup-ApexSpeed started his car here, and liked it
http://www.rc10.com/racerhub/setup/stdsetc3.pdf

You may also want to look at what they did here, just to see some different ideas.
http://www.rc10.com/racerhub/setup/r...lheim_2003.pdf
Old 03-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by robk
Motor: Novak 17.5 is the only one anyone has right now. LRP is out this week, and I think Speed Passion has one coming soon.

ESC:Lots of Novaks and LRP out there. I personally like the LRP a bit more, I think it is smoother, but there are plenty of Novaks out there. I doubt you can go wrong between the two. A buddy has the Speed Passion ESC, and has given it the thumbs up as well.

Std Associated carpet setup-ApexSpeed started his car here, and liked it
http://www.rc10.com/racerhub/setup/stdsetc3.pdf

You may also want to look at what they did here, just to see some different ideas.
http://www.rc10.com/racerhub/setup/r...lheim_2003.pdf

Thanks a lot'

I need your advice for battery cells'
Thanks again'
Old 03-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Anybody here using a tc3 with brushless motor can you tell me what spur gear are you using and how many tooth?

Thanks in advance'
Old 03-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi
First let me say! Great Class you got going here.

Just a Question or two.

Can one Run a 1/10 scale Pan car in this class like the Gen X 10 200mm Car?

If so could one run the HPI Wheels and tires or pan car foams foams. I no one can not put Touring tires on a pan car ok, But I can. and what would be the motor setup for this kind of car with BL motors.

Thanks.

C.C.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.